PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-game Thread: Jets @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB know something we don't? Five(!) long snappers in for tryouts?
Seems like a lot of the long snaps have been way low...? Just a perception, can't say I've really charted it.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks Evan.

Lazar with some hard-hitting analysis there. Now, I’m just waiting for him to tell us that football is a team sport.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks Evan.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Lazar with some hard-hitting analysis there. Now, I’m just waiting for him to tell us that football is a team sport.
Since joining the Patriots as a staff writer, he's become a yes-man, losing his independent analysis. He's contantly walking on egg shells to avoid appearing negative.

Since joining the Patriots as a staff writer, he's become a yes-man, losing his independent analysis. He's contantly walking on egg shells to avoid appearing negative.

My wife really doesn’t like football or the fact that i spend so much time following it. And whenever I listen to lazar she is especially irritated by his voice lol

Spend on the best Offensive tackle you can find.
TEs
More defense
Then WR.

Yep; an OT should be our #1 FA priority this offseason, if there's a worthy one available that is;

TE is way down on my list... My #2 priority is another Edge like Judon;

#3 is an all-field LB;

#4 is an Outside CB so Jonathan Jones can return Inside;

And #5 is Another OT.

2019 - #1 defense in the NFL, holds the chiefs to 26 points & the titans to 14 points. While the defense regressed they were still pretty good & they would’ve went deep in the playoffs if the offense didn’t take a nosedive.

2020 - Despite having arguably the worst front seven in the NFL the defense is competitive holding the chiefs to 19 points, shutting down herbert, lamar & murray.

2021 - Switches defensive scheme up midseason to zone due to a lack of talent at CB to play man with jonathan jones out for the season. Defense implodes in playoffs with pass rush out of gas & williams & bryant playing CB.

Present
  • Defense playing at a high level & is on pace for 60 sacks (previous high during BB era is 49). Also switches scheme back to cover 1.
  • Jonathan Jones switches from slot CB to outside CB. Having a career year.
  • Wise having a career year as a full-time player.
  • Entered the season having one of worst CB groups in NFL & now have a top 5 group at the position
Obviously BB helps but the defense has shown the ability to adapt & put players in position to succeed. Steve & Mayo have done a pretty good job here IMO.

I’m bullish on this defense moving forward because they are back to playing man & they have the pass rush to compliment the coverage. It remains to be seen if allen’s athleticism will expose their weakness similar to lamar & fields but it should be better than last season’s debacle.

Let's see how our DBs perform against more efficient QBs that we have to face in 5 of the next 8 games. Hopefully they'll continue their performance.

2022 qb eff.jpg

Bentley has played like a top 10 LBer this year.
I'm not sure I agree with this, but I do think he's the only one in the group who's a clear starting quality player. That's the problem.

Last analysis by him I saw was a comparison of an identical play-action pass against the Colts, this year vs. last year. He pointed out just how pitiful and lackadaisical this year's attempt was. Can't get analysis of a play much more negative than that.

Going forward I think the defenses biggest issue is defending mobile QBs, if they can clean that up this could end up as the best defense Steve Belichick has coached.
It's the "two-fer" aspect - can the LBs that are run defenders (Bentley/Tavai) play the pass or can the pass defending LB/S (McMillan/Peppers/Wilson) defend the run?

Because we don't have the "full package" LBs (fast AND strong); teams that are dual (two-fer) threats (BAL, CHI examples) from the QB position can read which is on the field and play call accordingly.

It's what the Patriots USED to do on offense - expose the weakness in the other team's personnel groups.

I THINK the add of Wilson and Peppers were specifically for Buffalo which isn't as much of a traditional running threat as BAL/CHI - plan for the front four to hold against the RB and spy Allen with a McMillan/Wilson/Duggar that can keep up with him speed wise.

Whether that can hold true in execution remains an unknown as the BAL/CHI games didn't show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe