PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-game Thread: Jets @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

The pats will make the playoffs & be a tough out if they can get their offense to average. They were above average last year with a rookie QB.

Every year, the defense looks good to great. And every year, posters complain about Steve Belichick. Can someone make a chart for that?

Every year, the defense looks good to great. And every year, posters complain about Steve Belichick. Can someone make a chart for that?

One of the rules of Patsfans:

Everything good the defense does is because BB is a good defensive coach, or the opponent screwed up.

Everything bad the defense does is because of <insert current DC here> or because BB sucks as a GM.

Since 2019 the D has looked good to great against weaker opponents, then in Dec/Jan they fall apart. Let's hope they continue their perf. against a tougher 2nd half schedule.

He picked a bad day to try meth. Professional suicide, who would hire this guy after that display?
Yeah, if you need to take that much Adderall in order to focus on the game, you’re probably not the best guy for the job. In the end, though, the defense is BB’s.

2019 - #1 defense in the NFL, holds the chiefs to 26 points & the titans to 14 points. While the defense regressed they were still pretty good & they would’ve went deep in the playoffs if the offense didn’t take a nosedive.

2020 - Despite having arguably the worst front seven in the NFL the defense is competitive holding the chiefs to 19 points, shutting down herbert, lamar & murray.

2021 - Switches defensive scheme up midseason to zone due to a lack of talent at CB to play man with jonathan jones out for the season. Defense implodes in playoffs with pass rush out of gas & williams & bryant playing CB.

Present
  • Defense playing at a high level & is on pace for 60 sacks (previous high during BB era is 49). Also switches scheme back to cover 1.
  • Jonathan Jones switches from slot CB to outside CB. Having a career year.
  • Wise having a career year as a full-time player.
  • Entered the season having one of worst CB groups in NFL & now have a top 5 group at the position
Obviously BB helps but the defense has shown the ability to adapt & put players in position to succeed. Steve & Mayo have done a pretty good job here IMO.

I’m bullish on this defense moving forward because they are back to playing man & they have the pass rush to compliment the coverage. It remains to be seen if allen’s athleticism will expose their weakness similar to lamar & fields but it should be better than last season’s debacle.

I really like how much pressure the defensive line can bring in this years version. The run defense has actually had its moments even if on the whole it has been lacking.

Going forward I think the defenses biggest issue is defending mobile QBs, if they can clean that up this could end up as the best defense Steve Belichick has coached.

Since 2019 the D has looked good to great against weaker opponents, then in Dec/Jan they fall apart. Let's hope they continue their perf. against a tougher 2nd half schedule.
At the end of the day this is more about a lack of big game players and/or injuries than the scheme. If the team is going to break the trend this year Judon, Wise and the Jones's need to continue to make timely, game changing plays.

Good article regarding the 2023 Free Agent Class-lists the top 10, notice Jacoby is at number 9.

Very interesting but 2023 is not a spectacular class for FA WR's I like a few guys though.

JuJu Smith-Schuster = wish we were more aggressive for him last FA 445yds and counting with Mahomes.

Jacobi Meyers = I think he's going for the $$$$$ and better QB play.

Mecole Hardman = He's been a decent speed WR from the Harry :rolleyes: Draft I think we would have been happy with a Hardman selection no pun.:)

Allen Lazard = Very interesting player knows how to get in the EZ way more career TD than Meyers thus far.

DJ Chark = We might get another shot at him next FA I am sure Detroit is moving on.

Like I said not a very impressive class but they are few guys here and there. I wouldn't break the bank for any of those WR's Meyers included.

Last edited:
Very interesting but 2023 is not a spectacular class for FA WR's I like a few guys though.

JuJu Smith-Schuster = wish we were more aggressive for him last FA 445yds and counting with Mahomes.

Mecole Hardman = He's been a decent speed WR from the Harry :rolleyes: Draft I think we would have been happy with a Hardman selection no pun.:)

Allen Lazard = Very interesting player knows how to get in the EZ way more career TD than Meyers thus far.

DJ Chark = We might get another shot at him next FA I am sure Detroit is moving on.

Like I said not a very impressive class but they are few guys here and there. I wouldn't break the bank for any of those WR's Meyers included.
Any good LBs? I feel like that's the weakness on defense.

Spend on the best Offensive tackle you can find.
TEs
More defense
Then WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand