PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Bears @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zolak right now on the air saying plainly that from what he saw during warmups yesterday that Mac is nowhere near close to returning. His footwork alone is completely messed up.

FWIW
A bad high ankle sprain is a 2 month injury. He won’t be normal again until the 8th week

Some Bourne injury news and something we'll be monitoring here:

He won’t be missed

1. Tyquan - elite speed
2. Parker- made a ridiculous back shoulder catch in heavy traffic which showcases his true skills as a possession wide receiver
3. Meyers- reliable and moved the chains

He won’t be missed

1. Tyquan - elite speed
2. Parker- made a ridiculous back shoulder catch in heavy traffic which showcases his true skills as a possession wide receiver
3. Meyers- reliable and moved the chains
Don't forget Agholor who might be coming back as well and Jonnu and Hunter who are now being targeted more often. ;)

Don't forget Agholor who might be coming back as well and Jonnu and Hunter who are now being targeted more often. ;)
Since Agholor helped me personally, I can no longer rip on him. He’s a good deep threat when he’s on.

JonWHO? That was vintage Jonnu. The heavens opened up! Couldn’t believe it. About time

Henry starting to earn his paycheck

The bears offense is non existant. I don’t see them scoring a lot of points. The possibility of a second shutout is on the table for the Patriots defense.

On the other side, I am kinda intrigued to see what our offense can do against the bears defense which is not terrible. It’s another team with a bad run defense but their pass defense is in fact good. Maybe their pass defense is a product of bad QB or their pass D made most QB they faced look bad.

Bears D is:

16th in yds/g
29th in rush yds/g
4th in pass yds/g
12th in points/g

Our D in comparison:

13th in yds/g
17th in rush yds/g
14th in pass yds/g
8th in points/g

I hope Zappe plays this game to see what he can do against a better pass defense.

Whoo??
Animated GIF

The Bears stink, let Zappe command the offense for another victory with great numbers or is it better to have Mac there getting his confidence back against a bad team?

I vote roll with Zappe because in case of an upset there's not a lot of damage, Mac gets back then for the next week and all is good in the world. If Mac comes back and loses, then the QB controversy is officially installed.

I heard Zolak say today that Jones was struggling to move in pregame warm ups yesterday. I say they ice him until he is close to 100% with Zappe playing well. I was for playing Jones before the Pats face the Jets who have gotten good on defense, but now I say sit him until he is close to 100% if he was still struggling to move yesterday.

The Bears are offensively offensive. Their top output of points so far is 23 points. They scored 12 against the vaunted Commanders this week.

This is another team ripe for a shutout. The main challenge for Belichick will be determining what the Bears' offensive strength is, so he can scheme to take it away. Their outstanding stat is 9-9 on field goals. The Patriots' objective may be to not let them cross midfield.

The Bears are -2 in turnovers, 35% conversion rate on 3rd down, and pretty grim up and down the statistical ladder. This looks like a game where defensive starters that are dinged up can sit and let the understudies take care of business.

They've been winning with absolute garbage at QB.
Absolute garbage? Were you not here for Cam Newton? We know absolute garbage. I think Mac is probably better than Zappe, but neither is garbage.

Absolute garbage? Were you not here for Cam Newton? We know absolute garbage. I think Mac is probably better than Zappe, but neither is garbage.
Keep in mind that when I say "absolute garbage," I am comparing to MJ. Cletus is a good backup. A great backup, even. Maybe even the best backup QB of all-time.

That's still garbage when you compare him to MJ.

Zolak right now on the air saying plainly that from what he saw during warmups yesterday that Mac is nowhere near close to returning. His footwork alone is completely messed up.

FWIW
If he’s actually not close, then that really changes the dynamic.

Let’s say Mac is still not even 90% healthy for another 2 games and so he misses the Chicago and NYJ games, and Zappe wins both. At that point Zappe is 4-0 as a starter and took Green Bay to overtime with no preparation. That’s a tough situation… and then it’s just one game (Colts) and then a bye week so you’re kind of still inclined to play Zappe again and then use the bye week to figure out what you want to do.

At the same time, the Jets and Colts games are critical to securing playoff position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back