PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Pre-Draft Thread] NFL Draft 2020 - NE Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have followed this draft class less than any in the past decade. I'm so uninformed. I'm catching up on guys who may be in our range. Whilst doing so, I saw a mock with Jeudy going to Tampa. Talk about setting yourself up for success. Brady did himself a solid.

Yup TB might very well take a WR (the best route runner does seem right), although OT seems more likely.

Also, what's the word on Herbert. Read that he has a great arm and not much else, yet several mocks have us taking him in the first.

I'd be shocked if Herbert isn't drafted in the top 6.

Guys, I hope I hear the cheers of happiness and not the howls of disbelief........happy watching tonight and I hope the draft gives us the player(s) we all want.

Also, what's the word on Herbert. Read that he has a great arm and not much else, yet several mocks have us taking him in the first.
You be the judge..

Sounds like Dobson has spent his post NFL career in a river in Egypt, just waiting for that tryout call.....

It isn't Belichick. It's McDaniels. Can't evaluate and draft skill position players at WR RB TE for sh-t.

List of guys who interest me in the draft for the Patriots. Overall I think it's a supremely putrid defensive line draft (seriously, look below, there's like three guys I'd touch), though some good edge rushers, and great linebackers. Good group of tackles and great group of interior linemen. A ton of good receivers and pretty much nothing of interest for tight ends. Good safeties and corners.

Trade up tier (probably need to move up from #23 for a chance)
Tua Tagavailoa (QB)
Henry Ruggs III (WR)
Mekhi Becton (OT)
Jerry Jeudy (WR)

Sit tight tier (some of these guys are likely to be available at #23)
Kenneth Murray (LB)
K'lavon Chaisson (EDGE)
Javon Kinlaw (3T)
Patrick Queen (LB)
Justin Jefferson (WR)
Marlon Davidson (1T)
Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE)

2nd round tier (would require dropping back from #23)
Darrell Taylor (EDGE)
Zack Baun (EDGE)
Josh Jones (OT)
Jordyn Brooks (LB)
Antoine Winfield (S)
Jalen Hurts (QB)
Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB)
Cesar Ruiz (IOL)
Chase Claypool (WR/TE)
Jeremy Chinn (S)
Jalen Reagor (WR)

3rd-4th round tier (may be available when the Patriots round the bend from 87-125)
Logan Wilson (LB)
Cameron Dantzler (CB)
Ashtyn Davis (S)
Davon Hamilton (1T)
Josh Uche (EDGE)
Matt Hennessey (IOL)
Jonah Jackson (IOL)
Shane Lemieux (IOL)
Lucas Niang (OT)
Prince Tega Wanogho (OT)
Jabari Zuniga (EDGE)
Bryan Edwards (WR)
Gabriel Davis (WR)
Devin Duvernay (WR)
Tyler Johnson (WR)
AJ Dillon (RB)
Anthony McFarland (RB)
Albert Okwuegbunam (TE)

Take a chance tier
Logan Sternberg (IOL)
John Hightower (WR)
Malcolm Perry (TAYSOM HILL)
Isaiah Coulter (WR)
Jacob Phillips (LB)
Joe Reed (WR)
Anthony Gordon (QB)
Anfernee Jennings (EDGE)
Thaddeus Moss (TE)
Carter Coughlin (EDGE)
Dalton Keene (TE)
Austin Mack (WR)
Kendall Hinton (WR)
Cohl Cabral (IOL)
Kyle Hinton (IOL)
Josh Metellus (S)
Kevin Davidson (QB)

Last edited:
I assume you're including the bowl game in 2018, because he was really bad against Bama that year. They played Rice, Arkansas, A&M, and UCF in those four games and the A&M stats are hugely inflated because it went to a million OTs. Hardly murderer's row.

Tua also had great talent around him but we're talking about comparing Burrow to Peyton Manning, not the rest of his draft class.

I've liked LSU since I was a kid (no real reason) so I watch most of their games, I'm not pulling the claim he was bad in 2018 out of nothing. I have questions about his arm strength and how he'll react once things start going badly, and I feel like the Bengals aren't a great match for a quarterback like him because Green and Ross are vertical threats.

Tua's got the injury issues so he's no sure thing but if not for those I'd pick him over Burrow. I think Burrow's a totally fine QB prospect but comparing him to Peyton Manning is absolutely bonkers. (Maybe Eli, that's probably a decent comparison.) The only QBs of the last twenty years who were comparable to Manning were Luck and now Lawrence.
I’m not sure if Burrow will have the career Manning had or the career that Lawrence is projected to have, but you should remember that LSU’s offense hadn’t moved out of the 90s yet in beginning through the middle of the 2018 campaign. They effectively still has the training wheels on him. I do agree with you, however, that he’s in for a bit of a surprise in the pros. Especially if he’s drafted by Cincy. He will be under significantly more pressure than he was at LSU. But the kid is deadly accurate and his anticipation is top notch. Those are two skills you can’t teach.

Ok .. pick 23. What's my take?

DONT TAKE QB OR WR.

OLINE. OR TE. BIG GUY PICK.

At the end of it all, I don't think we draft a qb. Stidham is unproven but I think he gives us the best chance to win. Already sat a year under Brady and knows the system. Do you think Herbert is seriously better than stidham? I don't. Would be a waste of a pick on someone like Jordan love or fromm because they have to be developed. The only qbs that can start immediately are burrow and Tua and the dolphins will pounce on tua asap.

You be the judge..

Wow. That's a resounding no. Another year, another QB prospect unjustly hyped up for the draft. What is so mystifying about QBs that mock draft elitists want to gamble with such bad odds?

Wow. That's a resounding no. Another year, another QB prospect unjustly hyped up for the draft. What is so mystifying about QBs that mock draft elitists want to gamble with such bad odds?
Exactly. I personally don’t even think he’s a first round QB, but these drafts are all about “potential.” I think he’s a “potential” bust. I’d much rather Tua, Hurts or Love.

Exactly. I personally don’t even think he’s a first round QB, but these drafts are all about “potential.” I think he’s a “potential” bust. I’d much rather Tua, Hurts or Love.
What would a trade up for tua even look like? I would imagine they'd fork over the #23 pick at least and multiple other picks.

I’m not sure if Burrow will have the career Manning had or the career that Lawrence is projected to have, but you should remember that LSU’s offense hadn’t moved out of the 90s yet in beginning through the middle of the 2018 campaign. They effectively still has the training wheels on him. I do agree with you, however, that he’s in for a bit of a surprise in the pros. Especially if he’s drafted by Cincy. He will be under significantly more pressure than he was at LSU. But the kid is deadly accurate and his anticipation is top notch. Those are two skills you can’t teach.

Easy to be accurate when you have a clean pocket. He did surprise me and play really well when they started playing real teams. That means a lot. I just don't think he's this can't-miss guy and I think his arm has real limitations. I'm not saying he's Chad Pennington (though let's be real, you could a lot worse than Chad Pennington) but he's probably well in the bottom third of NFL arms.

BB’s war room..

DB0FED65-02D9-4677-BC8D-243766393AC8.jpeg

What would a trade up for tua even look like? I would imagine they'd fork over the #23 pick at least and multiple other picks.

It would only be realistic if he fell to the late teens, but two years ago Buffalo moved up with Baltimore from 22nd to 16th to take Tremaine Edmunds. They gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick and got a 5th round pick back. Moving up a few picks like that in the second half of the round isn't that expensive. They'd probably have to trade with the Cowboys at #17 to get in front of the Jaguars and Raiders, and it would probably take #23 and #87 and maybe they get #179 back. It's less of a price than people make it out to be, though trading up is usually not the best option in the long-run.

Think it would be only fair if u at least put the entire round of his tweets in.

Dobson started to look good midseason (eg. his catch against the Steelers right before the BYE). His foot injury really derailed his rookie season and cost him a bunch of the second year offseason.

I really don't like Herbert, but I love Love. I'm not sure if I can explain it.
Why? Jordan love cannot start an NFL game right now. He needs to be developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes