PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential 53 man roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmy

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
For all the talk that this team needed an influx of defensive talent, the 53 man roster seems pretty stacked and there are some solid players who aren't going to make it. Here is an example of a 53 man roster and those on the outside looking in. I'm not too concerned about who I have making the roster right now. It's for indicative purposes.

Main takeaways:

- doesn't seem much room for a rookie free agent this year
- all the draft picks are going to have a tough time making the roster, even binkies like Berrios.
- WR is going to be an interesting camp battler. Aside from Edelman and Hogan, all the others could either win the number 3 role or be cut.
- the back up TE slots will be interesting. If Niklas/Izzo can perform well as a blocker they can knock Allen off the team and his big cap number.
- we have a lot of tweeter DE/LBs. Will be interesting in how that shakes out between Rivers, Langi, Lee, Davis, Bentley.
- still feel we are missing a rangy sideline to sideline LB. Perhaps they feel Sam can do this
- The secondary feels pretty locked in. Going to be hard for Cyrus Jones in particular to make this team
- feel like this is a good year for BB to use the PUP list effectively. Stash a couple of players for week 6. Possibly on the offensive line (Garcia/Jelks) or at DE/LB tweener (Langi)?
- as long as OT works itself out, I don't see a fundamental weakness on the team that would threaten the season. LB looks light again if Hightower gets hurt so might be the one area for a veteran trade addition.

Offense:

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2) Missing out: developmental QB/Johnny Manziel

RB: Michel, White, Burkhead, Hill, Develin, Bolden (6). Missing out: Gilleslee

OL: Waddle, Garcia, Brown, Cannon, Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, (8). Missing out: Croston, Jelks, Karras, Tobin, Ferentz,

WR: Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, Matthews, Mitchell, Paterson, Slater (7). Missing out: Berrios, Britt, Hollister, McCarron

TE: Gronkowski, Allen, Niklas (3). Missing out: Hollister, Izzo, Tye.

Total: 26

Defense:

DL: Flowers, Wise, Clayborn, Rivers, Shelton, Guy, Brown, Butler (8). Missing out: Valentine, Lee, Grissom, K. Davis

LB: Hightower, Van Noy, Langi, Bentley, Sam, Flowers (6). Missing out: Roberts

CB: Gilmore, McCourty, Rowe, Dawson, J.Jones(5) Missing out: C. Jones, R.Lewis,

S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Ebner, King (5). Missing out: Richards, D. Jones

Total: 24

Special Teams: Gostkowski, Allen, Cardona (3)

Last edited:
Good illustration. While I'd argue that Karras and Valentine shouldn't be left off the roster, that's not the point of this exercise. I struggled pre draft to find room for new pass rushers, for example, and this should show how competitive the roster looks already. Add in a few camp vets and suprise cuts, and we're good to go.

Good illustration. While I'd argue that Karras and Valentine shouldn't be left off the roster, that's not the point of this exercise. I struggled pre draft to find room for new pass rushers, for example, and this should show how competitive the roster looks already. Add in a few camp vets and suprise cuts, and we're good to go.

In terms of Valentine we should keep in mind that most probably one of Brown or Shelton is gone next year. Doubtful we pay both beyond their rookie contract. Or in other words.. if you try to build a 53 you should keep the big picture in mind.

Even with the inevitable injuries, they've got a lot of talent "missing out."

Nice work. with both Brown and Shelton coming up on their option years, I wouldn't be surprised to see one traded away, or someone else bumped, with Valentine being kept.

Maybe Hill is cut and they go with 5 rbs and keep Karras, too.

Once again, many cut Pats players will play in the league in 2018. Happens every year.

Maybe Hill is cut and they go with 5 rbs and keep Karras, too.

Once again, many cut Pats players will play in the league in 2018. Happens every year.

I expect Tenn and Detroit to be scouring the waiver wire or make last minute trades for conditional draft picks.. You can never have enough of those 6th and 7th rounders in 2019.....

Many of the problem cuts will resolve themselves with injury.

But, every year, Belichick cuts one or a few veterans in preference for the UDFA who shows the right work ethic, ability to learn and potential. Reggie Wayne and Terrance Knighton and more like them have come in as highly regarded veterans, locks to make the team, just to wash out.

Patterson and Clayborn and Shelton could still be that. And second year guys like Allen and Dorsett who never really rooted last year could easily lose their spot to some guy no one's heard of. Belichick LOVES rewarding hard work and upside over draft pedigree and signing bonus.

Some fan un-favorites, like Richards, Karras, Roberts and Grissom, may be more safe than we think, as journeyman incumbents.

QB (2): Brady, Hoyer
RB (4): Michel, White, Burkhead, Webb
WR (5): Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Matthews, Berrios
TE (3): Gronkowski, Niklas, Hollister
OT (4): Wynn, Cannon, Brown, Garcia
OG/C (5): Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Karras, Croston

Total: 23

EDGE (4): Flowers, Clayborn, Rivers, Wise
NT (2): Shelton, Valentine
DT (3): Brown, Guy, Butler
LB (5): Hightower, Van Noy, M. Flowers, Bentley, Sam
CB (5): Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson, Rowe, J. Jones
S (4): McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Travis

Total: 23

K: Gostkowski
P: Allen
LS: Cardona
ST (4): Slater, Ebner, King, Bolden

Total: 53

—————————————————————

• Etling PS bound unless he somehow flashes this Summer
  • Every year an UDFA makes the team. Webb received 70k guarenteed & fits a role as an inactive developmental RB4
  • If Mitchell’s knee is good to go, I’m confident in this WR group.
  • Can’t believe I’m leaving Waddle off tbe roster but now we are deep at tackle. Note that the Patriots had Wynn at LT in the draft war room video.
  • Croston as a versatile 9th OL makes sense.
  • The EDGE group is already better than last year. If one of the two 2nd year players make a leap then were back in 2016 business in that department.
  • As others have noted, keeping Valentine due to Brown/Shelton with 1 year left makes sense. I expect Adam Butler to continue to surprise as out sub rushing DT.
  • LB: The most exploitable group from an opposing OC perspective on the team. Can the kids play? We’ll find out this summer.
  • CB: Another deep group with some great camp competition on the back end.
  • S: Travis flashed last preseason & won some practice awards. Maybe it is enough to unseat Richards.

Offense: A, #1 unit in the NFL
Defense: B/B-, #8-18 unit in NFL

QB (2): Brady, Hoyer
RB/FB (6): Michel, White, Burkhead, Webb, Bolden, Develin
WR (5): Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Mitchell, Berrios
TE (3): Gronkowski, Allen, Niklas
OT (4): Wynn, Cannon, Brown, Garcia (If Wynn doesn't work out at LT this changes)
OG/C (4): Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Karras

Total: 24

EDGE (4): Flowers, Clayborn, Rivers, Wise
NT (2): Shelton, Valentine
DT (3): Brown, Guy, Butler
LB (5): Hightower, Van Noy, Sam, Langie, Flowers.
CB (6): Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson, Rowe, JC Jackson, J. Jones
S (5): McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Ebner, King

Total: 25

K: Gostkowski
P: Allen
LS: Cardona
ST: Slater

Total 4

Total: 53

PS: Crosson, Bentley, ???

I have 2 UDFAs making it. Assuming JC Jackon is now on the straight and narrow and Webb lives up to his hype.

Appreciate the effort but any roster that has Johnny Manziel on it will make me throw up. I would take RGIII over him every time and he sucks. Manziel is total garbage.

I fail to see why that DL group has so many people concerned. Not dominant, but pretty solid across the board. Also factor in HT as a rusher. Room for upside if Wise continues on his trajectory and Rivers shows up. In the SB, the ball came out fast and accurate, I’m not sure what any DL could have done.

I would find it difficult to see both Croston (can play inside and outside) and Karras (can play all three interior positions) as cuts. I think they are both solid developmental prospects who are versatile enough to justify keeping one or the other. I’m actually projecting 9 OL on the 53 man roster.

Good to see the improvement in competition in the trenches for 2018–at least that’s my opinion, anyway.

Appreciate the effort but any roster that has Johnny Manziel on it will make me throw up. I would take RGIII over him every time and he sucks. Manziel is total garbage.
Tom Curran seems to think that there’s a decent chance that he’ll be here for mini camp and TC, and that was before the draft even happened and it was widely assumed that a guy like Lauletta or White would be selected.

I’m not crazy about the idea, but I’m coming around to it a bit, I guess. Former first rounder who would be nothing more than a cheap addition if he proves himself worthy during a second chance opportunity. It’s certainly a low risk type of move if it happens.

I cant see them cutting Dorsett, Britt AND Patterson. I would be pretty shocked by that
Agreed, although I think 2/3 being cut could be a realistic possibility. It will be good to have them in camp and preseason to showcase their talents and try to earn a spot. I’m liking the competition at a lot of these spots more and more, lately. I’m feeling good about the depth in a lot of areas.

Tom Curran seems to think that there’s a decent chance that he’ll be here for mini camp and TC, and that was before the draft even happened and it was widely assumed that a guy like Lauletta or White would be selected.

I’m not crazy about the idea, but I’m coming around to it a bit, I guess. Former first rounder who would be nothing more than a cheap addition if he proves himself worthy during a second chance opportunity. It’s certainly a low risk type of move if it happens.

Having him in while the roster is at 90ish is one thing. But projecting him to end up on the 53 is another, unless we carry 3 QBs. I don't see Hoyer not being the backup as he knows the system inside out and can go in and execute pretty much the same offense as Brady.

Can't wait for it all to unfold..

Last edited:
I cant see them cutting Dorsett, Britt AND Patterson. I would be pretty shocked by that

I think what many miss in their projections is to create a nice mix of diversity in the WR group. I think Britt and Patterson bring both something to the table respectively that others like Edelman, Hogan or Matthews don't. Those three have a lot of overlap in their skillsets which makes me think it is definitely possible that not all 3 will be on the roster.

Also to anyone that just assume that Edelman is the same player I would suggest to wait a bit and see how camp goes. Until he shows that he is somewhat close to what he was before the ACL I would not assume him to be a lock.

Having him in while the roster is at 90ish is one thing. But projecting him to end up on the 53 is another we carry 3 QBs.
Yeah, I don’t think the odds of him making it would be too great either, but I’ll wait until August to come to that determination. In the meantime, I’ll assume two.

I agree ...
I think Etling is insurance for Manziel signing elsewhere so we have at least 3 QB camp arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes