PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential 53 man roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the Pats take a chance on Manziel?? Why not, as he had the talent, maybe now he has the attitude and the right frame of mind.. remember the Tim Tebow experiment??

If nothing else would prove to him whether or not he has the chops to be an NFL QB....

Offense:

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2) GRADE: A+
RB: Michel, White, Burkhead, Develin**, Bolden** (5) GRADE: A
OL: Waddle**, Garcia, Brown**, Cannon, Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason** (8) GRADE: A
WR: Edelman, Hogan**, Berrios, Matthews**, Mitchell, Slater (6) GRADE: B+
TE: Gronkowski, Allen, Niklas** (3) GRADE: A+
Total: 26
FA: 8
VIP FA: Mason

Defense:

DL: Flowers**, Wise, Clayborn, Rivers, Shelton**, Guy, Brown**, Butler, Valentine (9) GRADE: B
LB: Hightower, Van Noy, Bentley, Sam, Flowers**, SURPRISE TRADE (6) GRADE: B+
CB: Gilmore, McCourty**, Rowe**, Dawson, J.Jones, C. Jones (6) GRADE: A
S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Ebner, King (5) GRADE: B+
Total: 24
FA:6
VIP FA: Flowers

Special Teams: Gostkowski**, Allen**, Cardona** (3) GRADE: A
FA:3
VIP FA: Gostkowski

Offense: A, #1 unit in the NFL
Defense: B/B-, #8-18 unit in NFL

This is the usual recipe, I guess we are spoiled because it is often enough the make the AFC championship and/or Superbowl and then hope for the best.

I wouldn't mind a veteran Safety (Reid, Vacaro, Boston) being added for competition.

Lets see how it plays out, talk to y'all in July.

The best thing about reading everyone's projections is that nobody has yet to include Richards or Roberts on their final roster:):)
Yes, as was the case last year, the posters believe that Belichick will replace Richards with a Practice Squad player or with no one. I think that we'll bring in a safety or two, but Richards has a much better chance than anyone here would want.

In the end, we should be playing lots less big nickel (and none if one of safeties is injured) and no big dime.
In that case, we need 3 positional safeties (plus PS backups). If there are 2 injuries, one of the corners would likely move to safety anyway. If Richards stays, he should play as much safety reps as Ebner (none).

Last edited:
I think J. Jones and Hightower start the season on PUP.

I like using PUP to deepen the roster. Spots are so much more valuable on September 1st than December 1st when you are scanning the waiver wire for depth from injuries.

I know that's not the purpose of PUP, but both these players could likely benefit. How's Ebner?

I wouldn't mind a veteran Safety (Reid, Vacaro, Boston) being added for competition.

Competition with whom?

I'm fine with picking up a free agent to be the 4th safety in case of injuries. However, he would need to play special teams.

Obviously, it is early for 53 man rosters. However, this is a good one to compare to now and later.

I suspect that Belichick will have more Sters on the 53 than you have. I would add Patterson, Reilly and a 4th ST/S. I also would add Karras (a backup C/OG)
===============================
SOME COMMENTS (24 OFF, 26 DEF)
OL
I think that we need to separate IOL's from OT's.
We keep 2 backups to the 3 IOL starters. One is the gameday backup. IMHO, that player is Karras. He is our backup center, and can backup at OG. If keep only 8, then Karras could be enough.
You have 5 OT's, including Wynn. I think that 3 is more likely, with Garcia being the 4th, perhaps on PUP. I don't see both Waddle and Brown making the team. Crostown might still seek on the roster as the 9th OL.

WR
Personally, I think that Patterson is more likely than Mitchell.

LB
I don't expect both rookies to make the 53. I think that we need another LB/Ster instead, perhaps Reilly.
DB
4th safety is more likelyI'm OK with 6 positional corners and 3 safeties, instead if 5-4, but I think that Belichick is unlikely to keep a 6th corner, unless he is a developmental player, expected to be always inactive.

BOTTOM LINE (OK with 49)
Karras instead of Waddle (unless Garcia is on PUP)
Patterson instead of Mitchell
Reilly instead of Bentley
free agent safety instead of C Jones

Offense:

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2) GRADE: A+
RB: Michel, White, Burkhead, Develin**, Bolden** (5) GRADE: A
OL: Waddle**, Garcia, Brown**, Cannon, Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason** (8) GRADE: A
WR: Edelman, Hogan**, Berrios, Matthews**, Mitchell, Slater (6) GRADE: B+
TE: Gronkowski, Allen, Niklas** (3) GRADE: A+
Total: 26
FA: 8
VIP FA: Mason

Defense:

DL: Flowers**, Wise, Clayborn, Rivers, Shelton**, Guy, Brown**, Butler, Valentine (9) GRADE: B
LB: Hightower, Van Noy, Bentley, Sam, Flowers**, SURPRISE TRADE (6) GRADE: B+
CB: Gilmore, McCourty**, Rowe**, Dawson, J.Jones, C. Jones (6) GRADE: A
S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Ebner, King (5) GRADE: B+
Total: 24
FA:6
VIP FA: Flowers

Special Teams: Gostkowski**, Allen**, Cardona** (3) GRADE: A
FA:3
VIP FA: Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24