PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Pats @ Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if not having Rowe in the lineup led to less confusion this time among the DBs and whether he was the problem.

Idk but Gilmore did play a little more man. Gilmore's a good player. He has played in a lot of different defensive formations in buffalo but he likes playing more man. His next biggest test will be Julio Jones in a couple of weeks.

I said before the game we'd know more about Dwayne Allen. It was ugly. Anyone still defending this guy is lost. He's just not good.

Can't believe people still defend him. He's not even blocking that well! He got blown up the other day on a big third down play

Overall the more I think about it the more pleased I am by this win.

#1 Gost has been rock solid this year. Yes he missed 1 XP but that will happen to every kicker at some point. I seem this as a big confidence gaining day for him.

#2 This Defense improved some things. Yes a fair amount of the help was bad offense but also you didn't see many guys left open. There was one Winston missed (he had Jackson for a 60 yard TD) and 2 he just didn't happen to see but generally it was much improved. Still plenty to clean up but this is the first time I felt they actually did a lot to force stops. The run D was good on the whole except for 1 drive when they got gashed.

#3 Penalties were the biggest issue in this game. Get let them get out of 3rd and 4th down situations due to penalties. I think these will be cleaned up. It is easier to fix than other things. The Pats will not lose in the playoffs due to jumping off sides on a punt or a hands to the face on 3rd and long. They will be smarter by then.

#4 They looked to have partly figured out the short passing game. Last week it looked pretty solid and today it looked very sharp on the whole. I think they are finally learning to play the short game without Edelman and have it be pretty decent.

A few things that need to be taken note of on the negative cautious side.

#1 The OL still has a ways to go and I don't know if it gets fixed. Solder just isn't what he use to be and I don't think it is just technique. I think his body is failing him and you can't coach that up. Andrews just doesn't have NFL starter talent. He takes coaching well and tries hard I think but he always looks over matched by his opponent and manages to hang on through grit and technique or just get beat. Also Allen has not blocked well either really.

#2 Without Edelman not having Gronk isn't an option. It's as simple as that. He makes the offense go and opens up other things. Cooks makes big plays at times but Gronk sustains drives and scores points by making 3rd down clutch catches and chunk plays routine. No Gronk and their chunk yardage plays dried up and they stall.

#3 Hightower is so key right now. They made it work okay at times without him last year but that is just not working right now. They have no one to put next to him and certainly no one to replace him. They need him there just to stop the bleeding. Part of me is honestly starting to reconsider the value McClellin adds. While I don't think he is good really I do think he would be a better option next to Hightower than Van Noy or Roberts generally. Harris may as well not be here.

On the whole this team has a ton of issues but I still think they win the super bowl if they don't lose anyone else big. There is a lot to improve but we underestimate how fast those improvements can happen particular for fixes like mental errors and penalties. The only thing I think will be a big issue come playoff time is the OL. I think not much can be done to improve it but they will make it work and be good enough.

Overall the more I think about it the more pleased I am by this win.

#1 Gost has been rock solid this year. Yes he missed 1 XP but that will happen to every kicker at some point. I seem this as a big confidence gaining day for him.

#2 This Defense improved some things. Yes a fair amount of the help was bad offense but also you didn't see many guys left open. There was one Winston missed (he had Jackson for a 60 yard TD) and 2 he just didn't happen to see but generally it was much improved. Still plenty to clean up but this is the first time I felt they actually did a lot to force stops. The run D was good on the whole except for 1 drive when they got gashed.

#3 Penalties were the biggest issue in this game. Get let them get out of 3rd and 4th down situations due to penalties. I think these will be cleaned up. It is easier to fix than other things. The Pats will not lose in the playoffs due to jumping off sides on a punt or a hands to the face on 3rd and long. They will be smarter by then.

#4 They looked to have partly figured out the short passing game. Last week it looked pretty solid and today it looked very sharp on the whole. I think they are finally learning to play the short game without Edelman and have it be pretty decent.

A few things that need to be taken note of on the negative cautious side.

#1 The OL still has a ways to go and I don't know if it gets fixed. Solder just isn't what he use to be and I don't think it is just technique. I think his body is failing him and you can't coach that up. Andrews just doesn't have NFL starter talent. He takes coaching well and tries hard I think but he always looks over matched by his opponent and manages to hang on through grit and technique or just get beat. Also Allen has not blocked well either really.

#2 Without Edelman not having Gronk isn't an option. It's as simple as that. He makes the offense go and opens up other things. Cooks makes big plays at times but Gronk sustains drives and scores points by making 3rd down clutch catches and chunk plays routine. No Gronk and their chunk yardage plays dried up and they stall.

#3 Hightower is so key right now. They made it work okay at times without him last year but that is just not working right now. They have no one to put next to him and certainly no one to replace him. They need him there just to stop the bleeding. Part of me is honestly starting to reconsider the value McClellin adds. While I don't think he is good really I do think he would be a better option next to Hightower than Van Noy or Roberts generally. Harris may as well not be here.

On the whole this team has a ton of issues but I still think they win the super bowl if they don't lose anyone else big. There is a lot to improve but we underestimate how fast those improvements can happen particular for fixes like mental errors and penalties. The only thing I think will be a big issue come playoff time is the OL. I think not much can be done to improve it but they will make it work and be good enough.

Still see a lot of inconsistency on both sides of the ball. That has to be cleaned up. The red zone offense was troubling. I don't know if we will get mitchell back but it would be nice. I don't think solder's 100 percent. Hopefully he will get better. Brady cannot keep taking this pounding. That clearly will have an effect later on.

So the defense sucks if the other team doesn't execute every play perfectly?
It's about results. The results were fantastic.
Now we are saying short incompletions in front of zone count as "the defense sucked the QB missed wide open receivers".
Brother. This fan base is apiece of work.

Agreed. Take away the last drive by the Buccaneers that was basically letting them burn the clock regardless of yards gained, and the stats look pretty good for the defense. Both QBs missed throws, and neither was reflection of whether the defenses played well. The defense took a huge leap in just a few days to right the ship. The schemes were simpler and the communication better.

Yes, I've been on this since last week. Seriously, he is putting together a great season to this point. He looks like Gost of old.

Agree completely. I feel they played a very competitive game. Obviously you want to see less penalties. Ideally, you want to see the Pats correct this (which you touched on #3). But overall, I was very pleased with the competitiveness. Tackling was better, while not perfect.

The run game from Q2-Q3 was very poor. But Q1 was textbook. Maybe stamina was an issue. I think both teams had bouts of being gassed. I'll be watching that closely against the Jets.

Yup.

The line has been putrid and, maybe bordering hyperbole a bit, I'll say that they're going to get Brady killed. I think he is already dealing with something. It could be something or it could be that he's sore on only four days in between games. Either way, he was getting up pretty slowly on almost every knock down or sack. He's hurting.

Solder, in particular, is not playing well at all and he's the most likely culprit to getting Brady hurt. I think there is something to his health being an issue. He's never been a great LT, but he's definitely been better than this in the past. Your mind, especially a smart guy like him, doesn't often just fail you. Your body, however, can. Who knows?

The interior line is lacks strength. They're just hard workers who I think have maybe overachieved a bit. I do think Thuney is legit. Andrews has been a binky of mine since he signed here and I called it early that he'd be the starter over Stork. But yeah, he's just really the biggest overachiever of the bunch. Mason is incredible in the running game and getting out on the perimeter on outside plays. He suffers in line blocking and in the passing game. Cannon, I feel, has been mostly solid.

I'll add that it really hurts them in the red zone. That's where Gronk truly becomes the biggest cheat code in the NFL, whether he's getting the ball or not. Think of Shane Vereen in the 2014 RS game against Denver. He's wide open right before the half on a 4th down play (I believe), and it's because Gronk takes three players with him on a crossing route. Things get a lot tighter, particularly inside the 10-yard-line without someone like that to clear up space.

High is always key. It still is funny to me when I think back to the days when people talked about how he was good (this was after all the early calls for him to be cut), but he doesn't make big plays. He not only makes big plays in the biggest of moments, he stabilizes the whole D. McCourty said as much after the game.

This is where I may slightly disagree with you. I don't think they can still win the SB AT THIS TIME. They're just too flawed in so many areas right now. Injuries, inconsistent play, penalties/discipline, poor execution, communication. There's a lot of work to do, which I know you agree, and it's hard to see them in the SB right now. The good thing, however, is nobody other than KC (maybe) has done much to separate from the pack at this point. It will take hard work, but I know and trust that this coaching staff can get it fixed.

Overall, I am also very pleased and encouraged by what I saw tonight, especially on a short week. Yes, TB helped us a bit - BIG SHOUT OUT TO NICK FOLK - HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU KID. But we got a win in a must win game coming off a loss on a short week on the road. What the hell do you want from these men? Isn't this how we won games earlier in this run? Anyway, props to the team. Let's build.

Like you were being to the whole board last year about the pats D?
I ate my crow and apologized last year.

You're right though. I'll lay off the D. I guess I'm just extra disappointed after all the lofty expectations for the team this year. I didn't expect 16-0 or anything. But I also didn't expect them to be struggling.

And after last night they're probably not the position group in need of the most critiquing. The o line letting Brady get sacked more already than he was all of last season is much more troubling

Winston missed wide open guys.....every Qb misses wide open guys every game...brady missed a wide open Hogan that would have been a TD...so what.

If you're talking about the sideline one. As Romo explained, he got hit which threw off his motion.

well, I was banging YOUR Mom the other night and she screamed out you ain't even her kid....something about a transient named Lauralene, a Fed Ex box and a month's supply of Huggies......

Yeah that's her orgasm thing she does. I hope you had a great time!

Although it was 10 yards over his head, I think he had a receiver on the near side line.
They showed a sideline angle where you could see the ball sailing overhead and there appeared to be a receiver standing there.
But yes, that Super Bowl intentional grounding call was quite surprising and a downright shocking way to start the game.
Winston seemed to throw it closer to Brate than Evans, who were both on the left side of the field, but they probably still got a lucky break with one of those "on the fence" type of calls that we'll never see.

In the SB, I don't remember anyone even being remotely close to Brady's throw straight down the middle of the field. I think if he would've chosen a sideline we'd have had a better chance of seeing a no-call.

There's actually people calling in on the Felger and Mazz show saying Brady sucked. Wow, I just don't even know what to say. What are people watching? Felger actually strongly disagreed.

Yes, I've been on this since last week. Seriously, he is putting together a great season to this point. He looks like Gost of old.

A reminder: even Gost's "bad" season last year was still league-average. It just looked really bad because 2013 to 2015 were otherworldly.

That was pretty funny, but Chris Simms is still and will forever be the biggest kunt this side of Mark Brunell.

There's actually people calling in on the Felger and Mazz show saying Brady sucked. Wow, I just don't even know what to say. What are people watching? Felger actually strongly disagreed.

mh1gghyc6g2y.jpg

These also tend to be the types of people who call into Felger and Mazz.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back