PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Pats @ Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 2 teams with winning records, and a pretty notable dearth of significant quarterbacks. I'll take it for sure, but it could be hard to know before playoff time how good this pass defense is.

The interesting thing to watch will be this team's focus down the stretch. As we saw last year, they were prone to rather large lapses (Eagles game) of intensity, attention to detail and drive after a significant start. In this league it's not how you start, but how you finish that counts.

but he's also collected several penalties in limited time. If he can body up some bigger guys that might be a useful skill set, but he's no Browner.

Actually isn't playing ultra physical, but taking a lot of penalties EXACTLY what Browner did as well?

Darby would look great in a Patriots uniform.

I remember a couple of mocks two years ago in the draft forum that had him going to us. He is quietly one of the better picks they had in the last few years..

You know the Bills are in trouble when Rex is the most lucid post game speaker for Buffalo.

I'm willing to cut some slack to players making comments directly after a loss. Once the emotions are overheated the words that follow are likelier to be bordering on the silly. But in my recollection this is not an anomaly for post game Bills' comments. And your (Luuked) comments/caption are spot on. When the Patriots win what are you still guaranteed to hear? BB, his staff, his players speak of "areas needing improvement". Some may consider that commenting theme a platitude but I'm not one of them. The Patriots from top to bottom -- starting with BB -- look at themselves to improve even in victory. TB is the top of the pyramid, a genuine celebrity that is filthy rich, yet even he looks to improve after victory. So you damn well better know most of the guys down the roster better eat-sleep-believe the words "areas to improve".
It's this kind of mentality that is one of the key components to consistency/remaining competitive. And if these post game comments by Gilmore represent the Bills' mentality? It's all but a certainty the Bills will lose games that they otherwise "think" they should be winning. Wouldn't even surprise me to see the Bills settle in at the bottom of the AFCE.

Yeah, exactly. My ultimate point is that if this is really somewhat representative of their environment then they will never really improve because there seems to be a lack of honest evaluation over there. Which is an issue that has kept the Dolphins in "no mans land" forever it seems.

The interesting thing to watch will be this team's focus down the stretch. As we saw last year, they were prone to rather large lapses (Eagles game) of intensity, attention to detail and drive after a significant start. In this league it's not how you start, but how you finish that counts.
Imo losing 4 of 6 had more to do with injuries than lack of focus

That's a funny thing about Rex. For all his posturing and bombast in the leadup to a season or a game, when he loses he generously takes his lumps graciously and honestly. Whereas the Tomlins and Harbaughs of the world are all class until they lose, at which point they turn whiny and bitter and start making excuses.

Nice to bring this up. I was impressed he didn't even try to find excuses in the fact that he started without starters on offence and ended the game almost with practice squad. Chapeau.

They come. They talk ****. They say "I'm not here to kiss Belichick's rings."

In the end, they kiss his rings and are out of the job, fading into the long list of people who Belichick has beaten into submission.

In the end, they kiss his rings and are out of the job, fading into the long list of people who Belichick has beaten into submission.
When I was in high school, Brockton's coach was a guy named Columbo. He lead Brockton to championships and winning records year after year.

I used to look at him on the sidelines and I felt like I hated that smug sob! We all hated Brockton and Columbo

I can't imagine how players feel looking over at Belichick's grumpy face for all these years. Never mind having to look at Brady high-fiving the bench all game long and listening to him say "52 is the Mike" :D

The Bills were complaining about injuries and calls against them, exactly the kind of thing that BB would never say. Teams are a reflection of their coach, and sadly Rex was the most honest guy after the game. Yes, Rex you are correct, the division is over.

Reports are now that the Jets will most likely trade Brandon Marshall before the deadline ( makes sense for them, get something back). I don't expect the Pat's to make any more moves. It would be interesting to see where Thomas and Haden land if the Browns have a fire sale.

Yesterday's win was YUGE! Buffalo could have been one game back, with the tie breaker in hand, instead, they are three games back with three losses in the division! Yes, some victories help/hurt more than others. The next YUGE game is in Denver.

1. our run D is very jekyll and hyde...some weeks wont let up more than 3 ypc and today sucked ass...if we face a good or even decent running team we better be able to stop the run, it gave bills life all day today

2. anyone see what happened to roberts? did he come back in the game?

Yeah.. Let's not give any credit to the opposing team. Gillislee was rushing for better than 6 YPC entering yesterday's game. Yes, better than McCoy. I have news for you, the Bills are a good running team (#2 in the league). Not sure why you think otherwise.

Did you even watch this team last year? They had so many injury issues it's not even funny. Every single O-lineman they had on the roster was injured and unable to play at some point last season with the exception of Andrews. We also know that there was a big issue on the O-line in terms of their prep and development because of Guglielmo.

Let's also ignore that, down the stretch, the Pats were without Lewis and Blount. And that Edelman and Amendola were both nursing injuries. Plus they didn't have Bennett.

In the Eagles game, the blocked punt was on Darius Fleming. You'll notice he's not around anymore.
You'll also notice that this team has a lot more depth this year

Some thoughts:

7-1 and great health. Patriots have been very fortunate.
Getting Dion Lewis back soon, which will make the offense a bit better - although White has been pretty good.

Brady looks as good as he ever has. Mobile in the pocket. Running well for first downs when the opposing defense is in deep coverage down the field. More accurate on his long balls than ever.

Great performance from the receivers. The wide receivers appear plenty deep - and they only played three today! Hogan can be a deep threat - Julian Edelman really cannot. Hogan has gained separation and run under a series of long balls; Julian tends to be covered deep. Then add in Gronk, Bennett, and White - too much field to cover. Especially with Brady so accurate. Hogan is performing a bit better than most anticipated. With Dion Lewis? Yikes.

Offensive line is definitely a concern. Running backs consistently hit in the backfield; Brady sacked five times and hit a lot more. This was a team that gave up about 500 rushing yards the past two weeks, and the Pats managed 72. Cannon is definitely better than the guy we remember, and they have had the consistency/durability a line needs, but they don't seem to have enough talent. If they stay healthy, maybe something that Dante can improve.

Defensive line is a close second in concern. Just no pressure. Flowers got some push from the inside, especially as the lead got larger.

Great tackling in general, especially from the secondary. Good game from Butler, albeit against back-ups. Odd that they are switching Butler left and right, but he doesn't seem to be shadowing a specific receiver. Rowe is close to making us pine for the Logan Ryan era. Well, at least they seem to have replaced their Super Bowl secondary. I'd rather have Butler than Revis right now, and Rowe is doing an excellent Brandon Browner impression.

Gostkowski was perfect, but there were three doinks. Carpenter hit an upright and caromed out; Gostkoswki hit the post three times and each bounced in. So he was an inch away from three misses. Another huge day for special teams in general - great blocking, great returns, great coverage. Again won the battle of field position. That was important - Buffalo had more yardage and more time of possession, but New England had a shorter field all day.

Way too many penalties. 22 on the day - come on. No one wants to see that.
Dan Fouts is an idiot. Pretty biased for a television commentator.

The Bills were complaining about injuries and calls against them, exactly the kind of thing that BB would never say. Teams are a reflection of their coach, and sadly Rex was the most honest guy after the game. Yes, Rex you are correct, the division is over.

Reports are now that the Jets will most likely trade Brandon Marshall before the deadline ( makes sense for them, get something back). I don't expect the Pat's to make any more moves. It would be interesting to see where Thomas and Haden land if the Browns have a fire sale.

Yesterday's win was YUGE! Buffalo could have been one game back, with the tie breaker in hand, instead, they are three games back with three losses in the division! Yes, some victories help/hurt more than others. The next YUGE game is in Denver.
I can see the Donkeys dropping at least 2 more games before we play them! Still and all I want the Pats to rout them just for psychological standpoint!

Holy cow, a lot of dissatisfaction with the Ref's this week.
Raiders overcame 23 penalties!
Josh Norman blasting officials.
Cam Newton blasting officials.
22 penalties in the Pats-Bills games.

Really a mess.

Holy cow, a lot of dissatisfaction with the Ref's this week.
Raiders overcame 23 penalties!
Josh Norman blasting officials.
Cam Newton blasting officials.
22 penalties in the Pats-Bills games.

Really a mess.

I'm holding Dean Blandinko accountable.

But Goody promoted him to SVP so he must be doing a great job. :rolleyes:

I'm holding Dean Blandinko accountable.

But Goody promoted him to SVP so he must be doing a great job. :rolleyes:
There wasn't a single bad call all weekend (and everyone knows there were)...DB presentations are similar to BBs in the sense that we pretty much know how things will be said well in advance.

"I'm not here to kiss his rings."

-Rex Ryan, shortly before kissing his rings

Ted Karras playing final snaps at C for Jimmy G.
I am not fan of David Andrews, so maybe Karras has some potential.
Still need for reserve G.
Not buying that this is legit defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes