PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats beat the Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can excuse that kind of decision when it's Gronk. With his size, he can high point the ball. I can't excuse it with Hogan. That was a dangerous throw by Brady even though it did end up hitting Hogan in the hands.

This is what's so Cleveland: I saw this posted elsewhere. The Browns were +5 in takeaways today. Since the Browns returned to the NFL, teams with a turnover margin of +5 or better in a game are 132-4-1. The Browns are responsible for two of those losses and the tie.

I enjoyed sending this to my Cleveland in-laws :)

Hue Jackson is a mouth breather who has still only won 1 game in 3 seasons. They wont win next week vs the Saints on the road either. It does not get any better than having all off season to prepare for your fiercest rival at home to begin the season.

@ Saints, home Jets, @ Raiders.

Hue will figure a way to go 0 - 4.

I don't understand why CBS cut the replay short. We never really got to see if he held on long enough. It seems like he did until it was knocked out.

Yeah, there wasn't the typical analysis about whether or not Gronk had possession at the moment he was down. Bobbles don't matter anymore. If Gronk had possession when his knee, elbow or any body part other than hand or foot touched the ground, it no longer matters if the ball was moving or if it touched the ground after that.

I can excuse that kind of decision when it's Gronk. With his size, he can high point the ball. I can't excuse it with Hogan. That was a dangerous throw by Brady even though it did end up hitting Hogan in the hands.
not really. its not like he floated that ball to Hogan, it was a laser that only Chris can catch it

not really. its not like he floated that ball to Hogan, it was a laser that only Chris can catch it

It was an accurate throw, yes, but it was still into double coverage.

Great win and performance especially defensively but i thought the Texans were god awful, Bill O'Brien is another bad football coach from the Patriots tree.

Next week will be a much tougher game.

I disagree. It'll be tough but not tougher. Bortles may end up getting sacked six times and throwing a couple of picks a long the way.

Rowe was good as was JJones!

Rowe wasn't good. He was Mediocre. He was responsible for the TD because he allowed himself to get picked. That play was the mirror image of the one that Butler picked off Russell Wilson in the SB. Butler recognized that the Pick was coming and had moved to a position to avoid it and still make the play. Rowe ran right into it and took himself out of the play allowing Ellington to get the TD Reception. Rowe is not good in those bunch situations. He also got picked by a similar play in the SB last year leading to a huge play for the Eagles.

Jonathan Jones’ statline in coverage dating back to last year (per PFF):

37/70 52.9% comp 478 yards 2 TDs 1 INT 78.2 rating

Emerging as a legit CB

Jonathan Jones was the Pats best slot corner last year and it clearly hurt the team not having him in the SB. He picked up where he left off last year before the injury.

There have been players who could do what Gronk did . . . there have been far fewer players who could do what Gronk did SO ROUTINELY yesterday. He's the GOAT TE receiving passes from the GOAT QB. Wow, let that sink in.

Jonathan Jones’ statline in coverage dating back to last year (per PFF):

37/70 52.9% comp 478 yards 2 TDs 1 INT 78.2 rating

Emerging as a legit CB
I said it last season in many game threads . . . until he went down. He's legit and he makes the secondary better.

Rowe wasn't good. He was Mediocre. He was responsible for the TD because he allowed himself to get picked. That play was the mirror image of the one that Butler picked off Russell Wilson in the SB. Butler recognized that the Pick was coming and had moved to a position to avoid it and still make the play. Rowe ran right into it and took himself out of the play allowing Ellington to get the TD Reception. Rowe is not good in those bunch situations. He also got picked by a similar play in the SB last year leading to a huge play for the Eagles.

I think you are too hard on Rowe. He had a fine game. There is not a single CB in history that didn't get himself into a situation where he gave up a pick play. He didn't stand out at all and that is a good thing as a DB.

To be honest I think he will hear more from BB about that one horrific angle in run defense he took than that pick play.

I think you are too hard on Rowe. He had a fine game. There is not a single CB in history that didn't get himself into a situation where he gave up a pick play. He didn't stand out at all and that is a good thing as a DB.

To be honest I think he will hear more from BB about that one horrific angle in run defense he took than that pick play.

I may be, but it seems to be something consistent with him when he's working out of the slot. When he's on the outside, he seems more comfortable.

When he's on the outside, he seems more comfortable.

No question about that, he is not a good slot CB.

But that is the NFL for you. Teams creating matchup issues are the bread and butter. Not sure what you can really do to prevent him ending up in the slot a few times a game.

Deatrich Wise. I like how he looks out there. We might have a big find with him.
He played well down the stretch and in the postseason last year. While everyone focused on Gronk's concussion, Wise's got less attention. Despite being cleared to play in SB52, he saw only something like 6 snaps. I think he was still suffering from it. Sucks.

Regards,
Chris

Watson gonna have a tough year protection wise. Similar to Russell Wilson. They already had one of the worst O-Lines in football.

Last edited:
I stated in the GDT that McCarron will be in the dog house *IF* we in fact have a dog house. I really do not know that we in fact have a dog house.

I'm kinda hoping that doesn't mean they have a litter box instead.

on the other hand, after his performance phillip dorsett is in the kitty condo:

69%2522+Deluxe+Play+Cat+Condo.jpg

I'm sure BOB's thought process going into the game was something like:

"No Edelman? Lock down Hogan with our top CB. Double Gronk. Play a lot of short zone to cover the RBs running routes. Dare Dorsett and Patterson to beat us."

Turns out Dorsett was able to sync with Brady, especially just before the half. Also turns out that Gronk is a force of nature. Rarely used Devlin also had some key catches.

That aspect was a pretty decent chess match by both coaches. Kudos to both.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back