PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your critique of Brady's play last week was idiotic when you were making it last week. It continues to be so today.

Sure. Why be critical of wasting two third downs with quick snaps that never seem to work, a horrible INT, the intentional grounding play, missing Hogan and overthrowing Dorsett for first downs on the first two drives.

He has played as ****ty as the rest of the team in the last two weeks. I don't see how any of this is controversial.

- Brady is missing players who are open or he's ignoring them. I know he ignored Michel in the 4th quarter when he was wide open underneath because Michel had already dropped two easy ones.

- Michel dropped 2 easy passes last night and Brady clearly started ignoring him. Running the ball with Michel at the start of the 4th quarter was f'in ridiculous.

- The playcalling by McDaniels and Brady has been horrible. Where are the crossing routes? Where are the IN cuts.? Where are the Slants? Making it easy for opposing defenses by calling plays where you're focusing just outside the hashes makes it easier on defenses.

- Dorsett and Hogan were open several times and Brady missed them. This BS from experienced posters that we don't have any talent at Receiver is just that. BS. The idea that Hogan, who is a very capable #2/#3 isn't any better than a #4 receiver shows the kind of idiocy that has invaded Patsfans.

People lamenting that Amendola isn't here are ignoring the fact that Amendola was at his best working the middle of the field. An area that the Patriots have been ignoring in the Passing game.

Not using James White is just silly. White is an exceptional player, yet he saw extremely limited snaps in the 2nd half in favor of Michel.

- I've said it before and I'll say it again, Malcolm Brown isn't a NT. He needs to be playing the UnderTackle Position in a 4-3. What I noticed last night was that the Interior of the D-line was being double-teamed on nearly every interior run. Expecting Brown or Shelton to beat that is fallacy.

- Our LBs are over-committing. The MLB shouldn't be attacking the end of the line and leaving a huge hole up the middle for their RB to gain 12 yards.

- on the TD that Gilmore looked late on, I don't know what Harmon was thinking, but it was clear that Gilmore was expecting to pass off the receiver to Harmon. Harmon has regressed ever since changing to #21..

Aye. That must be why the team went out and traded for Gordon. Because the talent at WR is just fine. :confused:

I wonder why rivers isnt getting playing time. Usually BB plays his 1st rounder front 7 players early.

Rivers is a 3rd rounder.. Just saying..

As for not playing, I don't know.. He saw a few snaps late, but that seems about it.

Dolphins are good. I predict they'll stomp the pats(ies) next week. Deservedly so. You can't improve until you admit there's a problem.

Does Brady retire after this year? Without question. Does gronk? Likely.
We all knew this day would come and here it is.

Looking forward to not having your spewings on the board.. clearly not the fan you claim to be..

Aye. That must be why the team went out and traded for Gordon. Because the talent at WR is just fine. :confused:
Its not just WR. The RB depth is suddenly depleted without hill and burkhead . The line has to play better for this offense . Everything will get better from there. If you cant pickup a 3rd and 1 with a running play then its quite disappointing.

Hopefully we at least fix the D and get Brady some protection. He was running for his life last night. Can't have a great game under those conditions. Feel bad for TB having to be saddled with this **** show

Memo to BB: Hand over the personnel reigns to Caserio or whoever. Completely. Depth is supposed to be our hallmark. The O and especially D falling apart after missing a couple players on D (one a former UDFA no less) and one WR shows our depth and drafting leave much to be desired.

Memo to Josh McD: Michel looked damn good running in the A and B gaps, and looked like crap running wide. Plan accordingly. Accentuate your players' strengths.

Memo to Brian Flores: More Bentley and less E. Roberts. And teach your backup DBs how to hand off/pick up WRs better.

Memo to Brady: If you're going to throw to WRs & TEs being tightly covered, OK sometimes you don't have a choice. But throw to the guy being tightly covered by one defender instead of the guy being tightly covered by two defenders. Regardless of who is who. Everyone gets paid.

Memo to Sony Michel: The idea on wide runs is to be faster to the edge than the guys in the other uniforms. A little more urgency is called for in those situations. Oh, and put in more time with the jugs machine.

I apologize for the pedantic and sarcastic tone. But I'm in a mood.

Why is it that supposedly smart posters have to downplay a player based on whether they were drafted or a UDFA. BTW, Rowe, Flowers, nor Chung were UDFAs.

Elandon Roberts wasn't the issue last night. Clearly you didn't actually watch the game.

Sad how we are pinning our hopes on a 32 year old receiver coming off an ACL injury and another player who has done basically nothing in 5 years.

Well, now you are scaring me!

There isn’t much not to like about Brady, but I think not spending OTA’a and offseason with the new WR may be part of the problem. BB fat and slow defense has been a problem for several years, but they didn’t use to get exposed as much because of the chains moving offense.

Really? They were the best defense in terms of points allowed in 2016 and 8th in terms of yards allowed.. But please keep saying how it's been bad for "several years".

The problem is this: they CAN NOT get off the field after 3rd down. This is keeping the offense on the bench for a longggg time. No chance of getting into a rhythm. What was the time of possession vs the other teams in the last two games. That’s the problem.

Clearly you didn't watch the game last night. The play-calling on offense is what didn't allow them to get into a rhythm. It was horrid. Look at the routes the receivers were running.. A majority of them were outside the hashmarks. That only HELPS the defense.

One of the greatest things about the 2001-2004 Patriots is that they ran TONS of slants and in cuts. By design, they help the receiver get open instead of relying on the receivers ability run past a defender or to juke the defender on a double move. We're not seeing those. Those were the plays that Hogan got open on with the Bills. Those are the plays that Amendola would get open on. Those are the plays that Edelman get's open on. But they aren't calling them here and it's an issue.

I don't know how the offense could be bad. Small slow RBs + over 30 lacrosse player at WR + an OL that can't run block = Offensive Success doesn't it?

The RBs aren't slow.
Chris Hogan just turned 30.

For supposedly being a fan, you don't know much.

Moves to be made:

- Move Hightower to DE, where his speed is more of a fit, and he could become Ninkovich 2.0.

- Trade Malcolm Brown for a LB with speed and coverage skills. Maybe someone like Zach Vigil from Washington, who graded out as one of the better pass defenders at LB in the NFL last year, but isn't a starter on the Redskins.

- Promote Valentine from the practice squad to take Brown's place.

- Sign Bashaud Breeland, CB. Breeland failed a physical in the offseason but I'd at least bring him in for another look. They checked him out in August so there was at least some interest there. He can play.

- Sign Eric Reid, S. He's just 26. He's really good. The anthem thing is clearly an issue for NFL owners but my goodness, the guy is a good player and is young still and the Patriots need help at safety. Both he and Breeland are good players.

These are moves that the Pats can afford to make and I think would make the team significantly better in the aggregate.

You do know that the Pats have less than $5M in sal cap space, yes? Yes, trading Brown free's up 1.4M, but I don't believe it improves the defense like you think it would.

I loved Valentine as a rookie. But the injury clearly took something from him and he hasn't gotten it back yet.

I agree with adding Reid. If we're willing to take on Gordon, Reid should be easy. Especially since the Pats already made the decision to stand in solidarity..

I was on a international flight during the game- we had the game, but the WiFi was a joke, so I couldn’t join all my peeps on the GDT. I really needed support though- my god.
I have concerns. We might have one of the worst receiving corps in the league right now. Seriously, was it just me or could NO ONE get open?
The defense...no words.
I’m very confused as to what Belichick is doing right now. The team has little fight,passion, intensity...it’s chaos. I feel like I don’t even recognize this team.
Obviously, Edelman & JG will bring something more to the O,& we were missing Chung & Flowers, but the issue seems greater than this.

Nobody could get open and then’t running many “man beaters” either. Very vanilla routes and not many if any at all bunch formations. Either the receivers they have can’t process it or execute from it.

Even Edelman back, if healthy, opens things up. Just having Gordon on the field with him will open even more, even if he isn’t fully immersed in the playbook.

The RBs aren't slow.
Chris Hogan just turned 30.

For supposedly being a fan, you don't know much.

Rips hogan when the rest of the crowd has said all along he’s a wr 3-4 not a 1, touts dorsett who should be getting all his playing time. What was dorsetts stat line again last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents