PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only bright spot is that Brady appears to be playing better football lately (outside of his late bonehead play vs the phins). The offense generally is clicking. The defense, on the other hand, on the road is defenseless. Get ready for fireworks against the D next week. I expect to see hooks and lateral until we prove we can stop basic high school play.

I dont think the Pat's lost the superbowl just because of one play.

I dont even think they significantly hurt their chances of getting there.

I just think, given what we've seen from them, especially one the road, that what happened tonight was not a good sign.

What's wrong with saying that. It was all avoidable.

Bottom line, if you can't keep the opponent out of the end zone with only 20 seconds left, you don't deserve to win. The Pats should still win the AFC East but will most likely not get a bye and will be playing one of the wild card teams, with a loss in either the Divisional or AFC Championship round most likely. A veteran team like this should not be making so many mistakes, the kind of mistakes you can't afford to make in the playoffs.

If I could give your post 100 likes I would. You’re absolutely right. Lots of positive plays but way too many big plays given up and way too many mental errors to deserve a win. I agree with all who say the defense lacks talent, it was never addressed in the offseason and over the past few years too many players were gotten rid of that had talent. Draft misfires don’t help either. Wouldn’t shock me in the least if we win a WC game but bow out in the divisional round. I’m hoping we can find a way but this team has just done some very Un-Patriot like things this year, much too frequently. Maybe a silver lining to a poor playoff result would be some big changes to the team, both on the field and on the sidelines. Hoping we can take another run at the Super Bowl but I just don’t think it’s in the cards this year. Hope I’m mistaken. Go Pats!

Did they actually take out DMAC to put in Gronk? That is a huge coaching blunder.

That's what Hannable is saying, initially reported by Howe. Assuming it's true, that is squarely on Belichick's shoulders. That was an enormous failure on his behalf.

58b27d8a8e.png

Yeah, reminds me of 2015 when the Pats inexplicably lost to a couple average-or-worse teams (Jets and Eagles I think) to lose HFA and almost certainly cost ourselves a Super Bowl appearance.

It's basically impossible to get HFA if you don't take care of business against inferior teams
It was more Jets and then the Dolphins in weeks 16 & 17. All they had to do was win one of them and home field was theirs. They were arrogant and didn't even try in the 1st half's of both games so they wouldn't risk any more injuries. Lost both. Lost home field advantage. Lost in Denver.

I have been thinking that I would not want to have to play a 5th seeded Chargers team in the playoffs while the 2 seed draws Houston or Pittsburgh. So we may luck out and see a KC vs LA divisional game while we play Houston. But if KC doesn't lose and we have to travel it's game over. 59 points minimum

Even if they get the #2 seed, I'm not feeling particularly optimistic.

This team has shown zero ability to compete on the road. Assuming they meet KC in the AFCCG, is there any reason to suspect they'd put up much of a fight?

Always have a chance, I guess.

They'd still be underdog to KC in an AFCCG if they finish as the 2 seed but it's more do-able than a potential 4 seed.

Despite this insanity, we’re somehow still the #2 seed.

Beat Pittsburgh next week, take care of business at home, and we’re still in good shape.
We need SD to lose

Edit : LA

Okay like I said, health concerns, I actually thought I would come here and whine! Wow! This reminds me of traveling abroad when I was looking askance at some fellow Americans' politics and behavior.... and THEN hearing someone from abroad talking smack about Americans.

MAN did I become a Patriot in a hurry!

Coming here after a loss like that has had the same effect.

Still -- you'd be gone at 28-3 against Atlanta, dudes. You know it. Writing obituaries and carving tombstones. You'd have to leave in disgust and cry about missing the end of the game the next day.

Probably some of you guys did - I watched guys storm out of our game day thread weeping and gnashing their teeth and looking around for sack cloth to wear.

I don't remember them coming back in the offseason and admitting it.

So tell you what, when the Pats are mathematically eliminated, I'll be crushed. I think it's very likely we make the playoffs. And not having HFA is not = mathematical elimination.

The Ravens just almost beat KC at Arrowhead. The Raiders where playing them tough last week. I think you should check out and watch that alleged juggernaut that is the Chiefs and not make them up to some kind of boogieman in your mind.

If the offense plays one complete game the same way as they did in the first half they will score on anyone. If the defense plays as tight as for 29:53 minutes of the second half not many of the top teams will score more than 20-25 points on them.

And to beat them -- home or away -- we need both units to play well. If one of them ****s the bed it would not matter much where the game takes place.

I like our chances against kc at home more than on the road.

That's basically off the table now.

It just feels like at any moment, this team is going to have a breakout game like we saw in 2014 but it hasn’t happened yet. I can’t blame it all on Brady because he had a good game and gronk had some good moments as well. There’s no doubt that this defense is a major liability. There was no excuse on that last play. We have plenty of weapons on offense. It’s a stretch to say that Pitt will kill us because we lost to Miami last year in Miami and still came away with a w at Heinz field. I’m still waiting on that breakout game. We need KC to lose twice or choke in the playoffs. I seriously doubt we can win at arrowhead because that’s also a house of horrors.

Yeah, reminds me of 2015 when the Pats inexplicably lost to a couple average-or-worse teams (Jets and Eagles I think) to lose HFA and almost certainly cost ourselves a Super Bowl appearance.

It's basically impossible to get HFA if you don't take care of business against inferior teams
Yeah. It definitely hurts losing this one and who knows, maybe we man up and win #6. However, no matter what we have witnessed so much success that it sorta makes me okay right now. We can't win them all.

Ok my last post for the day and i'm off.

Clean house on D. Get some pass rushers. Get some athletes. Bring in a new scheme. The guys that are out there right now are not up to par if you want a competitive defense.

Yeah, if only Brady had more weapons and a better OL to score maybe more than 6 points in the entire second half. Right ?

The offense is going to struggle at times and unless they play well the entire game the defense isn't remotely good enough to pick up the slack.

That is exactly what the problem is with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents