PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian back in Buffalo?

in other new...pats play the bills tomorrow in a reg/preseason game

I dunno. I've always thought he was a good talent evaluator. Was there too much crying about aggressive DBs ? Sure. But lots of talent was passing through Indy while he was there.

Maybe you lapsed into a coma after Antoine Bethea was drafted in 2006. His drafts from 2007 until his firing in 2011 were absolutely horrendous and were the main reason the team was a 2-14 laughingstock after Manning went down.

If this is true and not just the usual PFT clickbaiting, then the Bills would be making a big mistake IMO

Polian is way and I mean WAY past his best before date. They already tried the nostalgia thing with Marv Levy and it didn't work out for the same reason Polian won't.

But this time they will bring back Jim Kelly too. :)

Actually if Kelly gets good chemo he is better than E.J.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Bucko Kilroy also knows football. He'd be an equally logical hire for the Bills at this stage.
Thats terrible...but funny!

Does this mean that the Jets ground crew has to worry about being assaulted again?

Or that naPolian will be heard screaming "break his leg" at Brady twice a year from his box?

Will he be able to use his seniority to get onto the competition committee and screw the game up even more than he already has?

I don't care how much football people think he knows, he's a class A jerk. Always was and always will be. Buffalo can have him.

Even if he changes the rules the Bills wont find a QB LOL

Don't worry, Polian will just draft the next Andy Dalton. Polian's always talking about how if he drafted the guy he would have kept his job...:rolleyes:

Maybe you lapsed into a coma after Antoine Bethea was drafted in 2006. His drafts from 2007 until his firing in 2011 were absolutely horrendous and were the main reason the team was a 2-14 laughingstock after Manning went down.

Did they draft a whole new team in 2012? I seem to recall a few winning teams after 2006, how did that happen?

Did they draft a whole new team in 2012? I seem to recall a few winning teams after 2006, how did that happen?

Not sure what your point is. Patriots had a terrible draft in 2007, yet still went 16-0.

Polian's inept drafting after 2006 didn't eliminate Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney etc. from the team. It just meant that the team was increasingly reliant on that core, especially Manning. And thanks to the ineptitude of Polian, when Manning went down, the Colts were left with the pathetic Curtis Painter to lead a pathetic supporting cast to a pathetic 2-14 record.

Not sure what your point is. Patriots had a terrible draft in 2007, yet still went 16-0.

Polian's inept drafting after 2006 didn't eliminate Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney etc. from the team. It just meant that the team was increasingly reliant on that core, especially Manning. And thanks to the ineptitude of Polian, when Manning went down, the Colts were left with the pathetic Curtis Painter to lead a pathetic supporting cast to a pathetic 2-14 record.

Yet, when they got a decent QB the very next year, they went 11-5.

Yet, AFTER POLIAN WAS CANNED they got a FUTURE HOF QB, TRADED FOR VONTAE DAVIS TO IMPROVE THE MESS THAT POLIAN LEFT IN THE COLTS SECONDARY, SIGNED JERRELL FREEMAN FROM THE CFL, AND BROUGHT IN QUALITY TE'S AND WR'S VIA THE DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY AND, the very next year, they went 11-5.

Fixed your post.

If he drafts even half as badly as he did toward the end in Indy, we'll be able to write Buffalo off for another 5 years or so.

Because the new regime drafted some good players, they spent a bunch of money in FA, and they play in the worst division this side of the NFCS. Not hard to get to 10-11 wins when Jax and Tennessee are gifting you four per year.

Because the new regime drafted some good players, they spent a bunch of money in FA, and they play in the worst division this side of the NFCS. Not hard to get to 10-11 wins when Jax and Tennessee are gifting you four per year.

And the f**king team went into the tank for the draft pick, you forgot that one.

And the f**king team went into the tank for the draft pick, you forgot that one.

Eh, sorta. They were a dumpster fire from the outset, then once they realized they had no shot at competing they stopped trying.

That's what happens when a top-heavy team loses its top. When Polian's been whiffing in every draft pick for 4 years, there's no other talent to fall back on.

You seem to be sticking to your guns pretty hard here, so how about this: name Polian's good draft picks after 2006. It was a historically bad stretch of drafting, and if you disagree then you should be able to cite why.

Even the guys who ended up being pretty good from those draft classes (Garçon, Hughes, Wheeler kinda) didn't become good until they left.

Capture.jpg

I know they didn't have 50 draft picks in 2012, so Polian is probably the greatest GM of all time if he could create that many winning teams, then have all the players suck at the same time, then have teams after him with a lot of his players go right back to 10+ win seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/56951/not-rebuilding-just-building-in-indianapolis

Eh, sorta. They were a dumpster fire from the outset, then once they realized they had no shot at competing they stopped trying.

That's what happens when a top-heavy team loses its top. When Polian's been whiffing in every draft pick for 4 years, there's no other talent to fall back on.

You seem to be sticking to your guns pretty hard here, so how about this: name Polian's good draft picks after 2006. It was a historically bad stretch of drafting, and if you disagree then you should be able to cite why.

Even the guys who ended up being pretty good from those draft classes (Garçon, Hughes, Wheeler kinda) didn't become good until they left.

They're a team built around QB play. They get another top QB and look what happens.

Capture.jpg

I know they didn't have 50 draft picks in 2012, so Polian is probably the greatest GM of all time if he could create that many winning teams, then have all the players suck at the same time, then have teams after him with a lot of his players go right back to 10+ win seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/56951/not-rebuilding-just-building-in-indianapolis

They retained exactly 25 players from the miserable team Polian oversaw. The 25 ran the gamut from legacy "hits" of Polian (Wayne, Bethea, Freeney, Mathis), to legacy busts (Hughes, D. Brown), to STers (Vinatieri, McAFee), to bottom of the roster fodder (A.J. Edds).

Let's look at who wasn't on the roster in 2011 but was on the squad in 2012:

1. Their leading QB (Andrew Luck).
2. Their leading rusher (Vick Ballard).
3. Their 2nd - 5th leading receivers behind Wayne (Avery, Allen, Hilton, Fleener).
4. Their leading tackler (Freeman).
5. The only 2 players on their team with multiple INT's (V. Davis and Butler).
6. Their entire starting defensive backfield other than Bethea.
7. Their starting WLB (Freeman)
8. Their "other" starting DE (Redding).
9. Their leading KR (Hilton) and PR (Vaughn).
10. Ten . . . I repeat . . . ten offensive starters (all except for Wayne and Costonzo).

That sounds like a complete overhaul to me and a team that had to overcome Polian's miserable personnel failures from 2007 and thereafter to turn the team around.

All teams have turniver. Seems to me the biggest difference is one team didn't have either Manning or Luck and the rest did.

I sincerely hope y'all are right and he forgot how to build teams better than most (because the vast majority of front offices suck).

Personally,I don't want him anywhere near our division, especially not with a team with a great defense anda couple hot shot receivers to start with.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back