PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play Call Stats based on Offensive Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
I just noticed these from the twitter feed over on the right ->

Surprised to see how predictable a couple of teams were. San Diego apparently had zero quality depth at WR after Keenan Allen went on IR in week one. Giants just threw in the towel on their running game.

Patriots were right in the middle of the pack in terms of how often they ran or passed out of 3-WR set (in other words, one of the least predictable.

C9zXTC5XcAIyiKL.jpg

This graphic shows how often teams utilized a 3-WR formation. Pats were below average; I would assume that reflects their higher productivity from the TE position than most other teams.

C9zLbbgXcAAhJPQ.jpg

And this spreadsheet shows each team's use of shotgun versus under center, and then run versus pass for each. Patriots rank near the middle in terms of percentage of times they pass (or run) under center as well as % of times they pass (or run) from the shotgun.

C6WVmZIU4AAv3ym.jpg

Note: stats are for when ball was snapped, not where QB initially lined up. Pistol formation included in shotgun numbers.

Reactions: PP2
I guess StaggParty didn't realize that the reason the Chargers went with so few 3-WR sets is because they almost never had 3 healthy WRs..

I guess StaggParty didn't realize that the reason the Chargers went with so few 3-WR sets is because they almost never had 3 healthy WRs..
I don't know why the Chargers didn't replenish the wide receiver position after Malcom Floyd retired the previous year. Poor cap management, I would guess?

Steve Johnson was lost in training camp, but he hadn't really been much of a factor the last couple years anyways. Once they lost Keenan Allen in week one and then Danny Woodhead a week later they were toast.

This graphic shows how often teams utilized a 3-WR formation. Pats were below average; I would assume that reflects their higher productivity from the TE position than most other teams.

Of their 368 receptions 173 (47%) went to non receivers. Of those 173 receptions 90 went to RB's (FB included) or 52%.

This team is so flexible that defenses truly have to pick their poison although it looks like the Pats got a little more poisonous this offseason.

2016 New England Patriots Stats | Sortable 3rd Down, Red Zone Passing and Rushing Patriots Stats.
upload_2017-4-20_13-42-7.png

What amazed me was that the Pats ranked in the top 5 in the league in run %.

Team Rushing Play Percentage: 2016 NFL Season
upload_2017-4-20_13-37-18.png

I forgot to add that I think run/pass splits or 3Wr run/pass splits are somewhat dictated by what the opposing defense is doing.

I don't know why the Chargers didn't replenish the wide receiver position after Malcom Floyd retired the previous year. Poor cap management, I would guess?

Steve Johnson was lost in training camp, but he hadn't really been much of a factor the last couple years anyways. Once they lost Keenan Allen in week one and then Danny Woodhead a week later they were toast.

So, they lost their top 2 WR for the year.. How many teams can do that and still be productive? Tyrell Williams and Dontrelle Inman stepped up, but then the cupboard was bare because Travis Benjamin didn't step up. He was their big name Free Agent last year.

Without the Allen and Johnson injuries, they are 5 deep at WR and could easily run 3WR sets..

It must suck to have roster/depth issues. That's what I've heard from other fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back