PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phase One Of Free Agency For The Offense - How Many Re-signed Before The Season Starts

Fine.

Lol. No.

I'm sensing a pattern here. Also Denver's not trading Jerry Jeudy for a 2nd round pick.

Jets washouts always work out. Especially Jets washouts that got cut here the first time.

Hardly. And you of ALL people should know you can get Chris Conley for nothing. And get Calvin Ridley for a lot less than the best corner on the Patriots.

DJ Chark is a sick Madden player. In RL, it's a different story.
You seem to think Jackson is under contract to the patriots for the 2022 season.

Great breakdown, I always appreciate the work you put into laying things out like this, so thank you for that!

I agree 100% on Karras. I'm not opposed to bringing Brown back too on the right deal, but there are going to be some tough decisions to make in general so if we only brought one back, I'd prefer Karras and plug Onwenu in at RT. We should also sign a veteran swing tackle though (if Brown is too expensive) or maybe try to get one in the middle rounds of the draft (riskier move).

If White can play, I'd like to give him a shot, but I'm skeptical he'll be the same guy. It might be time to look for a younger 3rd down back (still holding out hope for JJ Taylor, or maybe Stevenson can fill some of that) and bring back Bolden as the "in case of emergency break open glass" kind of guy. He did yeoman's work in that role this year, but I hope we improve.

Folk we need until we're sure we can get a younger upgrade. As we saw with Nordin and Rohrwasser before him, that is never a sure thing.

Slater and Hoyer should be short money and no brainers IF they still want to play.

Gunner is the one I go back and forth on. Shouldn't be expensive, but he hasn't grown as much as a WR as I'd hoped. He also wasn't nearly as dynamic as a PR this year as he was last year. That said, I hate giving up on those dirt dog types before we see where their work takes them. And right now we don't have another PR I trust to make good decisions. So I'm leaning towards bringing him back, but I'm not gonna spend more than a few moments thinking about it if they let him walk.

Yup, Gunner has not grown as much as I hoped…. I proposed this trade before: Harry to the Eagles for Reagor. The Eagles would be getting Harry in a contract year (we didn’t pickup his 5th year) and we would get Reagor who is a year younger (extra year on rookie deal) and more of an accomplished receiver than Harry (not a high bar) AND could compete with Olszewski…if he beats out Olszewski…we have a decent #4WR/Returner. I also think Harry would be better off with Hurts as his QB.

Nordin is still on the roster? Isn’t he? He looked pretty good before his implosion in pre-season though….

I'm pretty sure we all agree that signing Jackson, or at the very least franchising him, should be the Pats #1 priority.

You can restructure Jonnu's and Judon's contracts and that would basically make franchising Jackson a wash with the salary cap.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats traded Aguilar back to the Jos led Raiders for mid round pick.

I would cut McCourty with a post June 1 designation. Right now he has the final years of his contract voided and the Pats are still on the hook for 6.45 million in signing bonus. They could just cut him and take that cap hit, or cut him with a June 1 designation which would spread that cap hit over the next two years (2.15 this year and 4.3 next year), although, if he wants to play for the league minimum (doubtful), you could extend him for 2 more years, and the result would be a total of around 8 mil in cap space spread out over the next three seasons. I think McCourty is done, obviously the way the defense performed against the Bills shows that the Pats need to get younger and faster, not older and slower.

Cutting Jake Bailey will save almost 4 million in cap dollars with almost no (@$75,000) dead money, so that is something to watch.

I think Trent Brown is happiest with the Pats and they will bring him back.

I would try and re-sign Ted Karras too.

Bolden deserves at least another year, aside from his usual excellent Special Teams work, he was great in relief of James White after his injury.

Speaking of White, a RB now 30, coming off a hip injury, look for him to end up on BB staff in a few years, but I think his playing days might be done.

I think Folk has earned another year.

As much as I appreciate Hightower, he fits more into the "older and slower" category.

I'm pretty sure we all agree that signing Jackson, or at the very least franchising him, should be the Pats #1 priority.
Solid post, but I disagree with the above.

While I would agree that CB is their most pressing need and that JC is easily the best CB available, I don't agree that he's the only solution. He's excellent, but not quite elite, which makes tagging him less of a slam dunk and more of a viable option.

While I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the Pats tag him, I also wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if they improved the back end of their CBs via free agency and address the front end via the draft and/or trade.

Last edited:
I've been watching Mac Jones make some throws earlier in the season.

And holy heck, what happened to Onwenu at right tackle? He was getting blown back a lot. I'm struggling to understand why.

Suddenly, the mystery of Onwenu's dwindling playing time begins to make more sense.

Think we need to stick with T Brown at RT until this Onwenu 2nd-season-itis resolves itself.

I think just about every suggestion you made is predicated on something very questionable.
  • Braxton Berrios showed absolutely nothing in our system the first time around and wasn't more than a WR3 at his best.
  • Trent Brown didn't take a team friendly deal last year, and his stock is arguably higher now after a better year than he ever had with the Raiders.

Berrios' rookie season is a mystery. He didn't play in the preseason, and ended up on IR with a never explained injury.

Brown played will when he was healthy, but missed half the season.

I've been watching Mac Jones make some throws earlier in the season.

And holy heck, what happened to Onwenu at right tackle? He was getting blown back a lot. I'm struggling to understand why.

Suddenly, the mystery of Onwenu's dwindling playing time begins to make more sense.

Think we need to stick with T Brown at RT until this Onwenu 2nd-season-itis resolves itself.
Supposedly they only had him practice at LG, and that had something to do with it.

Patriots’ top free agents:

S Devin McCourty (retires)
T Trent Brown (signs elsewhere)
LB Dont’a Hightower (retires)
LB Jamie Collins (signs elsewhere)
CB JC Jackson (signs elsewhere)
G/C Ted Karras (signs elsewhere)
ST Matthew Slater (re-signs/retires)
RB James White (re-signs/retires)
RB Brandon Bolden (re-signs)
QB Brian Hoyer (re-signs)
K Nick Folk (re-signs)
LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (re-signs)
DL Carl Davis (re-signs)
LB Harvey Langi (re-signs)
LB Brandon King (re-signs)
TE Troy Fumagalli (re-signs)

Older dudes retire.
Above avg dudes sign elsewhere.
All the Jags re-sign.

Brown & Karras may end up w/ Raiders. Collins goes where the $ is. Same w/ JC.

Patriots’ top free agents:

S Devin McCourty (retires)
T Trent Brown (signs elsewhere)
LB Dont’a Hightower (retires)
CB JC Jackson (signs elsewhere)
G/C Ted Karras (signs elsewhere)
RB James White (re-signs/retires)
K Nick Folk (re-signs)
LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (re-signs)
DL Carl Davis (re-signs)

Older dudes retire.
Above avg dudes sign elsewhere.
All the Jags re-sign.

Brown & Karras may end up w/ Raiders. Collins goes where the $ is. Same w/ JC.
I certainly hope that you are wrong about Karras. This isn't a Thuney situation. Karras should be able to be signed for much less. If Karras isn't re-signed, we will need to spend for a backup C/OG. Since this would only happen if Onwenu is our future starting LG, we would be screwed at OT, with Wynn as our only OT. We'd need to add two.

I certainly hope that you are wrong about Karras. This isn't a Thuney situation. Karras should be able to be signed for much less. If Karras isn't re-signed, we will need to spend for a backup C/OG. Since this would only happen if Onwenu is our future starting LG, we would be screwed at OT, with Wynn as our only OT. We'd need to add two.
Only because Josh took the OL coach, familiarity, need, and having more $ to spend is it plausible he signs both Brown and Karras. I would.

I can't believe Bill would be willing to hand JC a contract like this. He knows he's not a shut down CB#1. Some other fool will though.

Only because Josh took the OL coach, familiarity, need, and having more $ to spend is it plausible he signs both Brown and Karras. I would.
I agree that Josh will try to sign Karras and Brown. I think that we should focus on Karras.

Adding PFF free agent rankings and projected contracts as an fyi:

#6 CB JC Jackson (4 yr/$72M)

#75 LB Dont’a Hightower (2 yr/$15M)
#79 T Trent Brown (2 yr/$20M)
#82 S Devin McCourty (2 yr/$12M)

#133 G/C Ted Karras (3 yr/$13M)
#139 LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (2 yr/$10M)

#184 RB James White (1 yr/$2.6M)

Guys outside the top 200:
K Nick Folk (re-signs)
DL Carl Davis (re-signs)

Agree with Venecol on most:

S Devin McCourty - Re-signs (they don't want to accelerate that dead money)
T Trent Brown Keep him on an incentive-laden (playing time) deal)
LB Dont’a Hightower (not coming back here)
LB Jamie Collins (back only on short money)
CB JC Jackson (hope they keep him doubt it)
G/C Ted Karras (re-signs)
ST Matthew Slater (retires)
RB James White (retires)
QB Brian Hoyer (leaves)
K Nick Folk (re-signs)
LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (leaves)
DL Carl Davis (re-signs)

you mean:
Franchise him
Have $17M less of cap space
Try to trade him in July or August after he signs
And then have him threaten to retire to squash the trade.

I think they let him walk and be happy with a 3rd comp pick.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back