Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This from Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly today:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

No details regarding potential trading partners (just a few vague possibilities) - and Peppers still hasn't signed the franchise tender, which ties Carolina's hands - but it seems pretty emphatic that the Panthers are looking to trade Peppers before the draft. The main evidence seems to be the active interest the Carolina FO has taken in scouting first and early 2nd round DE prospects, who won't last to the #59 pick which the Panthers currently have. Nawrocki notes: "With a franchise figure of $16.7 million hanging in the balance, the Panthers have been forced to remain relatively inactive in free agency. It's clear that they franchised the malcontent star to trade him. The demands of a huge contract in a down economy on a player who is not known to run his motor all the time and too often plays passively has kept teams patient for the right deal."

Re: The Way We Hear It - More on Peppers

This from Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly today:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

No details regarding potential trading partners (just a few vague possibilities) - and Peppers still hasn't signed the franchise tender, which ties Carolina's hands - but it seems pretty emphatic that the Panthers are looking to trade Peppers before the draft. The main evidence seems to be the active interest the Carolina FO has taken in scouting first and early 2nd round DE prospects, who won't last to the #59 pick which the Panthers currently have. Nawrocki notes: "With a franchise figure of $16.7 million hanging in the balance, the Panthers have been forced to remain relatively inactive in free agency. It's clear that they franchised the malcontent star to trade him. The demands of a huge contract in a down economy on a player who is not known to run his motor all the time and too often plays passively has kept teams patient for the right deal."

They were fools to franchise him. Noone can afford him, even if he is a great player. Theh amount you have to pay makes it a bad value, even with no draft picks given up...they played high stakes poker and lost.

Maybe not so bad if you don't mind paying 16M for one player.

People should remember that this was the worst case scenario in tagging Cassel. Don't be surprised if the Panthers take a similar below-market trade to get Peppers off the books.

Is anybody still holding out any hope for Peppers?

No, I'm not particularly holding hope out for Peppers, barring a miracle. The #34 pick for Peppers at an OLB-sized contract would be ok, but it's not going to happen. But I think that his situation could end up affecting the upcoming draft and was of interest, which is why I posted the article.

No, I'm not particularly holding hope out for Peppers, barring a miracle. The #34 pick for Peppers at an OLB-sized contract would be ok, but it's not going to happen. But I think that his situation could end up affecting the upcoming draft and was of interest, which is why I posted the article.

yeah I agree with ya, Peppers has to know he has to lower his asking price wanting to play a completely new position, lets say the panthers would take the number 34 pick and peppers is willing to take a pay cut, which I think is possible, dont the pats still need to come up with the 16mil because hes under the tag? and if so how is that going to happen when the pats only have about 4 mil in cap space remaining?

yeah I agree with ya, Peppers has to know he has to lower his asking price wanting to play a completely new position, lets say the panthers would take the number 34 pick and peppers is willing to take a pay cut, which I think is possible, dont the pats still need to come up with the 16mil because hes under the tag? and if so how is that going to happen when the pats only have about 4 mil in cap space remaining?

well, people say the cap is fungible, but I think 16m would be impossible.
however, we had this whole long thread about the possibilities of circumventing that tag hit, and I think we came to the conclusion it could be done --- or maybe not, I don't remember.

At this stage, I would't offer the Panthers pick #34. Too high. And I believe they'll settle for less right now. I doubt the Eagles would offer much either. Both the Panthers and Peppers are screwed right now. (Mostly the Panthers!)

At this stage, I would't offer the Panthers pick #34. Too high. And I believe they'll settle for less right now. I doubt the Eagles would offer much either. Both the Panthers and Peppers are screwed right now. (Mostly the Panthers!)
Offer them? They'd have to give up picks to unload him to me if I were NE.

ok, here's one commentary on it.....
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...contract-question-yes-more-peppers-page3.html

and this was the long meandering thread, I think....
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...eppers-close-going-ne-34-mergedx3-page63.html

At this point, I am completely anti-Peppers. Really just don't see it being the best course for the team. All things considered.

I started out anti-peppers 'til I read bb's comments on him and the deal was rumored, all of which turned me pro-peppers.
if it's possible to sign him to a reasonable deal I'm all for it.

By the end of the draft someone is going to give up too much to get Peppers, plain and simple. I just hope it isn't us.

I started out anti-peppers 'til I read bb's comments on him and the deal was rumored, all of which turned me pro-peppers.
if it's possible to sign him to a reasonable deal I'm all for it.

What would you consider a reasonable deal? I just don't think we can afford him, and just need to focus on drafting well. Sending some into next year, and moving up. :singing:

By the end of the draft someone is going to give up too much to get Peppers, plain and simple. I just hope it isn't us.

I just dont see another 34 team making a trade for Peppers, plus if I remember correctly there was only like 4 teams on peps wishlist.

Not the Steelers or Cowboys. Wont be the jets, maybe denver ?

If the pats see it as good value and somehow can make it work under the cap then my guess is it will happen, Im not worried about the panthers asking too much for compensation but who really knows what kind of money peppers will be asking for.

don't know if the details are correct, or even if it's just urban legend, but I think his 4 teams were pats, dallas, and 2 division rivals, which would probably be unlikely.

I can't wait to see the posts if and when we sign Peppers....... That's gonna be fun!

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the posts if and when we sign Peppers....... That's gonna be fun!

When all of us naysayers are proven wrong? That will be hilarious, but not shocking.:singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes