PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Matt Patricia to call plays on offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is good to know who will be calling plays, I think play calling is overrated as an aspect of the game by a lot of people. Play design is much more important. Not to mention you can call any play you want, but if the players don't execute it means nothing.

To me the sign of a good play caller is less about having a good instinct for the game and when to call certain plays, and more just being match up conscious. Not about every match up, as that just becomes too much and you lose sight of the big picture for the details. Just the 2-3 bigger ones. Keep track of where help is needed and where weaknesses exist. If you do that and don't be overly predictable that to me is 95% of being a good play caller. Sadly, I think many NFL play callers fail this very simple first hurdle.

Every year he was DC they had a top 10 defense.
They won 12 or more games every year (75-21). Won the division all 6 years. Had a bye all 6 years.
Went to the AFCCG all 6 years.
Went to the SB 3 of the 6 years.
Won the SB 2 of the 6 years.

Whatever you think mediocre means, can we please have a lot more of it.
...and during Deflategate he spoke truth to power.
matt-patricia-roger-goodell-clown-shirtjpg.jpg

Every year he was DC they had a top 10 defense.
They won 12 or more games every year (75-21). Won the division all 6 years. Had a bye all 6 years.
Went to the AFCCG all 6 years.
Went to the SB 3 of the 6 years.
Won the SB 2 of the 6 years.

Whatever you think mediocre means, can we please have a lot more of it.

Haters: I hated Patricia’s “bend but don’t brake” defenses! So overrated!

The haters are then reminded of the successes of the defenses that Patricia coordinated.

Haters: That was all Bill! None of the credit should go to Fat Matt.

The haters then begin to seize, because they were forced to (gasp) praise Belichick, in an attempt to escape from their Patricia cold-take quicksand. After recovering, they hurry over to their Brady posters above their headboards, wipe off the dried jizz and then beg Tommy to forgive their traitorous words.

Haters: I hated Patricia’s “bend but don’t brake” defenses! So overrated!

The haters are then reminded of the successes of the defenses that Patricia coordinated.

Haters: That was all Bill! None of the credit should go to Fat Matt.

The haters then begin to seize, because they were forced to (gasp) praise Belichick, in an attempt to escape from their Patricia cold-take quicksand. After recovering, they hurry over to their Brady posters above their headboards, wipe off the dried jizz and then beg Tommy to forgive their traitorous words.

Since Patricia left, the defenses had ranked 7th (won SB), 1st, 7th and 2nd. I’m not a hater, but it definitely seems like anybody they have “coordinating” the defense is successful. How much of it was really Matt?

Since Patricia left, the defenses had ranked 7th (won SB), 1st, 7th and 2nd. I’m not a hater, but it definitely seems like anybody they have “coordinating” the defense is successful. How much of it was really Matt?
Interesting take. So when you are in charge of a defense, coaching and developing the players, and you leave, the continued success of what you built means you were meaningless?

Interesting take. So when you are in charge of a defense, coaching and developing the players, and you leave, the continued success of what you built means you were meaningless?

If you want to give that credit to him then you can, I just used his logic and used the years after Patricia left. The defenses were good without and with him. That is really my point. How much of it was Patricia’s mind and how much of it was the machine?

If you want to give that credit to him then you can, I just used his logic and used the years after Patricia left. The defenses were good without and with him. That is really my point. How much of it was Patricia’s mind and how much of it was the machine?
How does that make him mediocre as was claimed.
And of course he gets credit for what he did. Good bad or ugly. He actually did it.
This idea that what you accomplish is subject to debate about whether you deserve credit for it is just silly

Bill Bellichick has thrown more love Patricia’s way publicly than any of his other coaches who had left aside from possibly Josh.
Ladies and Gentleman the next HC of the Patriots is Patricia that is the succession plan.

How does that make him mediocre as was claimed.
And of course he gets credit for what he did. Good bad or ugly. He actually did it.
This idea that what you accomplish is subject to debate about whether you deserve credit for it is just silly

I didn’t call him mediocre, I was just responding to a singular post. The defenses were successful under him, I didn’t take that credit away from him…all I said is that the defenses are successful no matter who’s coaching the defense. Which is factual

Bill Bellichick has thrown more love Patricia’s way publicly than any of his other coaches who had left aside from possibly Josh.
Ladies and Gentleman the next HC of the Patriots is Patricia that is the succession plan.

He definitely loves Patricia, that is for sure

Word is Bill, Fat Matt and their gf/wife are real close and the 4-some hang out together to swap stories.

If that's the case then I'm rooting for it to be a success story. Patricia has never given us a reason to dislike him.

In the other thread I am being told how easy it is for a defensive coach who has never called a single play on offense to be the offensive play caller. This board will never cease to amaze me.

Yeah damn that belichick and his beliefs. How did they ever hire this guy and out us through these last 20 years?
One word, "Frustration". The Patriots record vs. the Dolphins and Bills in the last few seasons is abysmal. They've seemed to slip into mediocrity but yeah yeah "in Bill we trust". Isn't it possible the game has passed him by? We'll see this upcoming season in which I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

One word, "Frustration". The Patriots record vs. the Dolphins and Bills in the last few seasons is abysmal. They've seemed to slip into mediocrity but yeah yeah "in Bill we trust". Isn't it possible the game has passed him by? We'll see this upcoming season in which I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.
We went to the playoffs with a rookie QB

It isn't the ideal situation, but not the disaster that I think many make it out to be. I bet any good defensive coordinator with a decent amount of experience can call an offense and visa versa. Maybe not as well as a seasoned offensive coordinator, but a solid experienced defensive coordinators have been studying offenses for decades.

Plus, Belichick has always preached that his coaches need to have intimate knowledge of both sides of the ball. That is why with younger coaches, you frequently see them start on one side of the ball and eventually move to the other. I am sure that all those years Patricia was here, he was required to be intimate with the Patriots' offense.

Lastly, he was a head coach. Sure he was a bad head coach. But that doesn't change the fact he was active in the game planning and play calling of the offense during his time in Detriot.

Would I rather have Bill O'Brien or even possibly Adam Gase calling the plays? Sure, definitely in O'Brien's case and probably in Gase's. But unfortunately that ain't happening. I just don't think the offense was be nearly as negatively affected as some with Patricia making the calls. In fact, he may be a far better option than a young offensive assistant with only several years of coaching experience.

What ranking did Fat Matt's Detroit offense have? Did he have the Superbowl Champion QB starting? So no fecking excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3