PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Belichick sees Dramatic Improvement in Mac

$10M/year doesn't mean what it used to mean even 2-3 years ago, and it's going to mean even less by the end of the contract. Not a huge deal.

With most top WRs getting over $20 million a year and top QBs getting over $40 million a year, you are right that even for a DT that $10 million a year isn't that much money.

With most top WRs getting over $20 million a year and top QBs getting over $40 million a year, you are right that even for a DT that $10 million a year isn't that much money.
with DT you always need to difference between two down and three down value.
NT are rare imo, their market seems strong from "seller" perspective

I wasn't all that impressed with Godchaux last year and thought he was a candidate to be cut, but I will say our LBers were the big problem with the run defense. They were so slow that many times the opposing RB wouldn't even be touched by a defender until they got into the secondary. Godchaux was tying up blockers for the LBs to make plays on a lot of running downs and the LBs failed.

And as for the money, the way the salary cap is going to explode the next few years, what he is getting might be not nearly as bad as we think it is today. Again, this is money for 2023 and 2024 and not this year.

I am not a fan of the deal, but I don't think I am as upset as others.
The LBs were absolutely brutal.

Fans need to watch Barmore as well. He was not great vs the run. I assume he'll be much better this year.

It’s easy to see the Patriots thoughts on this. They got run over a lot on D, and they didn’t cut a single starting/rotational DL man, and didn’t bring in anyone new.

On the other hand, they let go of 3 LB in Hightower, Collins, and Van Noy, plus they trade an edge guy in Winovich for a LB in Wilson. They signed Jabrill Peppers as a LB type.

They clearly thought their LBers sucked last year, and that’s what they tried to fix, and thought the DL generally did a decent job. Hope they’re right with that analysis.

No one player is responsible for a team's run defense, and we've essentially wholesale swapped the LB group. I think it's fair to say BB didn't think Godchaux was the problem in run defense last year.
And some around the league seem to disagree with you. I don’t think he’s solely responsible but $10 mill a year for a guy who PFF has as the 42nd ranked interior lineman isn’t exactly a steal.

NFL Exec Indicates Patriots Overpaid On Reported Davon Godchaux Extension

He had a great 1st game against the Buffalo, the rest of the year he looked average at best. Our LBs were very slow but Davon did not do them too many favors.

$10M/year doesn't mean what it used to mean even 2-3 years ago, and it's going to mean even less by the end of the contract. Not a huge deal.
Spot on...$10M is no longer a big contract when top DTs would get 22M+.

This is up there with signing a 35 year old mccourty for 9m. God-awful-cheaux more like. Maybe they'll sign hightower next.

I just checked out overthecap.com and he's now going to be the 2nd highest paid per year (10M) on the team when it gets updated.

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

yup BB's record the past 20 years obviously means that BB never evaluates a player wrong
No, but it sure as hell means that he is much more equipped to evaluate the position and his players in particular, when compared to the imbeciles who are so sure of their opinions on this site, despite not having the foggiest idea of how to evaluate the position based upon game film, let alone the TV feed, or what a D-lineman’s exact role is on most of the defensive snaps.

No, but it sure as hell means that he is much more equipped to evaluate the position and his players in particular, when compared to the imbeciles who are so sure of their opinions on this site, despite not having the foggiest idea of how to evaluate the position based upon game film, let alone the TV feed, or what a D-lineman’s exact role is on most of the defensive snaps.
Good thing you’re here to keep us imbeciles informed.

I just want to acknowledge Mac for the time that he put in and all the work…..it shows how PASSIONATE he is for the game, his team and his future as a QB in the league going forward…..From all reports and some videos I have seen he is a phenomenal Teammate…..and he has the DESIRE to be GREAT! I pray he gets there…..but going into this season…..how can you get pissed at him after the time and energy he has put into the Preseason….. and you hear it ALL OVER NFL Network……ESPN…. etc…..what are the other 2nd and third years doing!? Crickets……Good on you Mac…..Wicked proud of you!!!!!!

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back