PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Belichick sees Dramatic Improvement in Mac

So, i was just writing a long post of how this is a season of hope. We are hoping for Growth from our sophomores member and contribution from rookies. We are going to see what they can do

While i was on twitter I saw this so I guess i was wrong, the Pats coaching staff is just absolutely lost and our standards are now 10M per year for Davon Godchaux

EDIT - Saw now that this **** its almost 90% gtd. Wtf

The last year could be fully guaranteed salary at a high dollar number.

Im in shock tbh. I'll guess Ill just wait for all the ~brainpowre here to come tell how this is a good deal

Got bullied or nullified against any IOL matchup who was atleast slightly above average and became a no-show against teams with any resemblance of a run game. Hard to feel good about this one.

i had to read the guaranteed amount three times, i mean i thought he did a solid job but what

yep. no surprise here. also no surprise at big disconnect btw what fans “see“ and coaches see.

in essence it should always be good news when team can extend vet starter mid league year.

keep in mind this deal includes 2023 & 2024 - the two projected cap spike years..

or maybe bill's just trolling since many esteemed experts here projected him being cut : )

I still can’t figure out the consensus on him. Half of fans says he’s solid, half say he sucks.
He was fine... as long as you weren't expecting him to be Aaron Donald...

Played a good percentage of the defensive snaps last year... and played decently... was he great? no... but then thats the reason he isnt making 20+m a season...

Phil Perry

@PhilAPerry

Belichick says Godchaux has made "dramatic improvement" this offseason.

More from Belichick:

"His physical work and conditioning, working on his mechanics, working on his footwork, working on his understanding of our offense...defenses...He's made tremendous strides. He did a great job last year, but he's starting from a much, much higher point."

yep. no surprise here. also no surprise at big disconnect btw what fans “see“ and coaches see.

in essence it should always be good news when team can extend vet starter mid league year.

keep in mind this deal includes 2023 & 2024 - the two projected cap spike years..

or maybe bill's just trolling since many esteemed experts here projected him being cut : )
And sometimes the fans think someone sucks and they just do.

i thought about the rising cap space but the percentage of guaranteed money seems pretty high
i know the market for NT is strong, fatukasi got almost 10 mio aav i think as well, but i think also he has higher upside on passing downs than Godchaux.
I never thought he would get cut, he is our best run stopper rn, Guy is old, barmore will be stout but he is not there yet on run downs and he is better than davis

Im in shock tbh. I'll guess Ill just wait for all the ~brainpowre here to come tell how this is a good deal
If the final year of the contract is backloaded cant the Pats cut him post June 1, 2024 and spread the hit out in 2024 and 2025?

Surely BB left himself options.

could this mean a free agent addition is incoming? His cap hit was around 10 M this season before the extension

All 3 starting DTs are now signed through 2024.
Not sure Guy is playing/starting here 3 more seasons but God & Bar are nice pairing both capable of playing all DT positions / keep OL guessing.
Despite this (mid-tier) investment > upgrade of the position (very rotational in NE) is very possible next offseason.

So, Godchaux came from the Dolphins so he played for Flores. That means that he already knew the NE defense and terminology. Secondly, Godchaux played last season coming off an injured season in 2020 where he only saw 5 games. His 2021 number were basically inline with his stats pre injury.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back