PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perry: Adrian Klemm impressed Dante Scarnecchia as college OL coach

He gets paid a ridiculous amount of money and for the first time since he began coaching in NE, he didn’t earn it this season.
Well, if that is the case, I think we should be thankful we have a coach of this caliber and cut the guy some slack for having one off year since beginning his time in NE. BB has been a rock, hopefully we will be just as lucky to have our next coach be this consistent.

Let's hope the Pats are looking at a new OL coach who has history in their system because they anticipate having new FA and high draft picks to teach and bring up to speed quickly.

One potential strategy:

Cut Trent Brown (love Baby Huey but his inconsistency in 2022 and injury history scare me), saving $10 million with a little dead money

THEN put those cap savings towards signing McGlinchey to play RT (less expensive than an UFA LT)

THEN use an early pick on a new LT…either 14 OR use 14 on a CB then package 47 and Carolina's early 3rd to move up into the late 1st or top of the 2nd range for a LT.

Saving money on coaching was a disaster on the field in 2022, and is an ongoing PR nightmare. Hence the team's very public approach to hiring an OC.
I don't understand the saving $ angle. I mean Kraft's net worth is 10-11 BILLION. Why the hell does he do this ? IMO it has to be BB thinking he has some kind of advantage over the previous team but it's beyond dumb at this point. IF this crap happens again we all need to call BS. No more dollar store coaches ! Get the best coaches and pay them !

0694S000002i8TgQAI

You wrote this sentence for me. :) I couldn’t agree more.

Even if the article was only half accurate, BB made a mistake of gigantic proportions. He let down everybody by f-ing around: players, fans, owner, other coaches, etc. While the players should be held accountable too, they usually are. BB got a big pass here; with a competent OC/QBC, this team might have had a shot at playing tomorrow. He gets paid a ridiculous amount of money and for the first time since he began coaching in NE, he didn’t earn it this season.
I wish you or I didn't have to write it but it's a fact.

With that said the BB Jr and Mayo DC tandem has worked out well. No question there.

Offense has always been the weaker of BBs strengths. It's been that way forever. It just isn't something he is great at and for him - after almost 50 years in coaching not to acknowledge that he needs expertise in this area is incredulous to me.

With that said the BB Jr and Mayo DC tandem has worked out well. No question there.

Agreed. And I am not sure they are working with the most talented group of players either. Might be better than we appreciate.

One potential strategy:

Cut Trent Brown (love Baby Huey but his inconsistency in 2022 and injury history scare me), saving $10 million with a little dead money

THEN put those cap savings towards signing McGlinchey to play RT (less expensive than an UFA LT)

THEN use an early pick on a new LT…either 14 OR use 14 on a CB then package 47 and Carolina's early 3rd to move up into the late 1st or top of the 2nd range for a LT.
Like the plan but they'll need a vet LT just in case the rook falters.

As far as LTs go, Brown is pretty cheap and in the last year of his deal. He might benefit from better coaching in 2023

Like this Ryan Wendell interview and resign Bill Yates too. Now your getting a real disciple of Scar.

Like the plan but they'll need a vet LT just in case the rook falters.

As far as LTs go, Brown is pretty cheap and in the last year of his deal. He might benefit from better coaching in 2023
Easy peasy…just re-sign Cujuste. Haha.

Brown can still dominate when he is healthy, engaged, and stays on script (ie. not trying to cut block an edge rusher during a critical 4th down late in the game). If they can keep him in shape and in line, I’m fine with keeping him but a 10m cap hit is pretty steep for a swing tackle, if they draft a LT with an early pick and he looks ready to be a day 1 starter.

There is also a (small) chance that Stueber shows well in the offseason and training camp and takes one of the OT spots on the 53, if he is over his mystery ailment.

you mean like in 2021 when he didn't pay his OL coach, his QB coach or his OC?

or before that and in 2021, when we had the fewest coaches in the NFL?
I wish you guys would stop repeating this fallacy, the new team that hired a coach still has to pay them fair market value, the old team is responsible for the difference, no one came here and didn't get a paycheck from Bob Kraft.

Well, if that is the case, I think we should be thankful we have a coach of this caliber and cut the guy some slack for having one off year since beginning his time in NE. BB has been a rock, hopefully we will be just as lucky to have our next coach be this consistent.
That’s only half his job. He’s been less than stellar at picking the groceries, though recent drafts have been better.

I wish you guys would stop repeating this fallacy, the new team that hired a coach still has to pay them fair market value, the old team is responsible for the difference, no one came here and didn't get a paycheck from Bob Kraft.
Where are you getting this from? FMV for coaches? Is there an NFL Coaches union?

If the team that's paying the old contract doesn't feel like the new team is paying fair market they can file a grievance with the NFL. I've read it a number of times but busy and not at home so can't provide a link.

Where are you getting this from? FMV for coaches? Is there an NFL Coaches union?

Not following the whole conversation, but there is an NFL coaches union. Interestingly, Belichick being the only HC not in the union is the reason he doesn't show up in Madden games.

If the team that's paying the old contract doesn't feel like the new team is paying fair market they can file a grievance with the NFL. I've read it a number of times but busy and not at home so can't provide a link.
Interesting. So if NYG are paying Judge $2M/yr as a HC and Bill pays him $150k as a QB coach, the NYG save $150k from what they pay him?

Interesting. So if NYG are paying Judge $2M/yr as a HC and Bill pays him $150k as a QB coach, the NYG save $150k from what they pay him?

Right, if they try to pay him $10,000 the NYG would file a grievance with the NFL and would probably win.

That’s only half his job. He’s been less than stellar at picking the groceries, though recent drafts have been better.
I'm sure we could nitpick every GM throughout the years and see the mistakes they made. But even if BB isn't "stellar", he has been good enough to win 6 SB's and is amazing at bringing in coachable players for "his" coach.

Right, if they try to pay him $10,000 the NYG would file a grievance with the NFL and would probably win.
I didn't realize position coaches salaries were public. For years the word has always been that Pats coaches are under paid and over worked, which is one of the reasons its difficult to get good ones to come here. Huh, learned something. How much is Steve B. making?

I didn't realize position coaches salaries were public. For years the word has always been that Pats coaches are under paid and over worked, which is one of the reasons its difficult to get good ones to come here. Huh, learned something. How much is Steve B. making?
We don't know that but the league knows all that stuff. Just because we don't have access to all the info doesn't mean the other teams don't.
That's why I cringe when everyone says Kraft is cheap with coaches, do we know what he pays coaches? Just because it's repeated here doesn't make it true, maybe it does but we don't know.

I'm sure we could nitpick every GM throughout the years and see the mistakes they made. But even if BB isn't "stellar", he has been good enough to win 6 SB's and is amazing at bringing in coachable players for "his" coach.
I’d say he’s been up and down. He went through bad stretches of drafting in 2017-19, 2005-8, but been really good at getting UDFAs. Recently, he’s hit and missed on FAs. You’re right that all GMs make mistakes, but in recent years some GMs (Beane, Roseman come to mind) have done better.

I don’t mean to bash Bill‘s great career, but the MP/JJ thing just turned out to be ridiculously inept. He doubled down on it by trying to drastically change the offense simultaneously. We all saw the results.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back