PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Schefter: Tom Brady not ready to accept court ruling today. Mulling options with legal team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, though for me Smith and Capaldi have become strong second-placers.

As for that GIF, where's it from? Is that the very end of "Invasion of Time" when the Doctor is alone in the TARDIS after leaving Leela and K-9 on Gallifrey?

I like the modern guys a lot, but Tennant is still my favorite.

It really is messed up beyond anything I could have imagined. For two of these judges to say that there is overwhelming evidence that Brady cheated and destroyed the evidence is mind boggling. The NFL gave up trying to push the Brady cheated angle last August and went with the commissioner has the power angle. From the begining they never said that there was overwhelming evidence of ball tampering. So the only explanation as I'm typing this is money, maybe not directly, but money or favors to people that can sway the judges opinion. I can't think of another explanation for the reversal of attitude on the part of the court.

Haven't been monitoring this appeal too closely so this may have been discussed here. Does anyone know who these judges are and more importantly what their NFL rooting interests might be? Given the speed with which this was resolved (much faster than the Peterson appeal) and also that the head judge was the dissenting opinion (and how the judges were still focused on the cell phone thing which is one of the weakest arguments the NFL presented), could these other two judges have an NFL agenda?

If that came out in the press, I would think that the Second Circuit would grant another appeal by the whole court. That appeal is supposed to be rare but it would be so messed up if the judges are just trying to screw the Pats and would be enough for it to go through.

The one thing I hope is that Brady finally speaks out. He's been silent and it's done nothing but backfire.

I sincerely hope that tomorrow he holds a press conference and goes scorched earth on everyone.

Too bad that's not Tom's temperament though......I would be ecstatic if he finally snapped. It's time.

Everyone say that Brady doesn't want to do a defamation suit because he doesn't want his life torn apart, but more than Goodell and the League doesn't want to defend a defamation suit? Can Goodell hide behind attorney client privilege to keep all the work product from the Wells Report becoming public. He cannot stop Brady's lawyers from subpoenaing all the emails between Kensil, Grigson, etc. A defamation lawsuit could expose so much shady dealings by the League.

How realistic is defamation considering he lost the previous trial? I mean, even if Goodell in the eyes of the law is somehow right they could still be guilty of knowingly slurring him couldn't they?
No one has said goodell is right they gave said he has the authority to do the wrong thing.
Defamation isn't about whether roger goodell has authority to give random discipline but about the lengths the NFL went to publicly defame Brady through lies, misreporting and subterfuge.

The one thing I hope is that Brady finally speaks out. He's been silent and it's done nothing but backfire.

I sincerely hope that tomorrow he holds a press conference and goes scorched earth on everyone.

Too bad that's not Tom's temperament though......I would be ecstatic if he finally snapped. It's time.
Being silent has had nothing to do with the railroading he has gotten.
What forum do you think he should have spoken that would have affected the fact that the Nflpa handed goodell the power to do whatever he wants without reason

Being silent has had nothing to do with the railroading he has gotten.
What forum do you think he should have spoken that would have affected the fact that the Nflpa handed goodell the power to do whatever he wants without reason

Are you joking? The vultures started circling the moment he came out in the original press conference, where he didn't deny once and said he "didn't think he was a cheater".

He was passive as all hell, and while that may just be Tom being Tom, it did him no favors in the court of public opinion and undoubtably set the tone of this "scandal".

He could've spoken out again the moment after the appeal was decided upon by Goodell. Remember he had a speaking engagement and said he "didn't want to get into it at this time"?

That was pretty much all he's said on this entire ordeal besides a quick Facebook post or two after Berman's ruling.

Did Goodell get to choose which appeal court he filed? Hopefully Brady could pick a favorable court for defamation.

Everyone say that Brady doesn't want to do a defamation suit because he doesn't want his life torn apart, but more than Goodell and the League doesn't want to defend a defamation suit? Can Goodell hide behind attorney client privilege to keep all the work product from the Wells Report becoming public. He cannot stop Brady's lawyers from subpoenaing all the emails between Kensil, Grigson, etc. A defamation lawsuit could expose so much shady dealings by the League.
It'd be funny to see people still claim the Patriots cheated after we get the cold hard evidence proving the NFL made everything up.

He snapped last year, winning 12 games in a row (after the scandal, including 2014). He was playing lights out, people were talking about another run at a perfect season, he was the clear cut MVP front runner, and most importantly, people were beginning to distance themselves from the scandal due to common sense.

Then...a bunch of injuries occurred, they somehow lost in DEN, they lost HFA, and Gost missed an XP for the first time in 524 tries in their attempt to return to the SB.

At some point, we're going to take this comment about wanting him to snap back, because he may just eventually snap in the wrong way. This has been a long road with many ups and downs; many more "downs" for Brady. God bless this dude for continuing to get up time and time again.

Are you joking? The vultures started circling the moment he came out in the press conference and didn't deny once, and said he "didn't think he was a cheater".

He was passive as all hell, and while that may just be Tom being Tom, it did him no favors in the court of public opinion and undoubtably set the tone of this "scandal".
What does that have to do with the suspension arbitration court case or appeal?
The only people who believe Brady is guilty are rabid patriot haters. What he did worked better than any other approach would have.

What does that have to do with the suspension arbitration court case or appeal?
The only people who believe Brady is guilty are rabid patriot haters. What he did worked better than any other approach would have.

What the hell are you talking about?

I said I wished Brady would finally speak out against Goodell and YOU responded to me about his silence being irrelevant in your mind.

Nothing I said had anything to do with the suspension arbitration court case or appeal, and YOU responded to it, so why would you bother even asking that?

cartoon-fight-the-power-grunge-homer-simpson-Favim.com-2725663.jpg

One stat I'd like to hear, when the chief judge is the one on the losing side of a 2-1 argument, how often is that taken to the full court versus when the chief is on the winning 2-1 side? I'd assume, though maybe incorrectly, that the chief has a bit more sway by the nature of being the chief.
If not we have to hope that the very significant nature of the ruling against workers will be taken up by the even higher justice sham that will arbitrarily decide for side B.

He snapped last year, winning 12 games in a row (after the scandal, including 2014). He was playing lights out, people were talking about another run at a perfect season, he was the clear cut MVP front runner, and most importantly, people were beginning to distance themselves from the scandal due to common sense.

Then...a bunch of injuries occurred, they somehow lost in DEN, they lost HFA, and Gost missed an XP for the first time in 524 tries in their attempt to return to the SB.

At some point, we're going to take this comment about wanting him to snap back, because he may just eventually snap in the wrong way. This has been a long road with many ups and downs; many more "downs" for Brady. God bless this dude for continuing to get up time and time again.

Except no one publicly cares how well he played. As sad as it is, talking smack in the media gets more play than your on-field performance.

Go take a look at Peyton Manning. Clearly he used HGH. He came out and adamantly denied and look......that story has completely disappeared.

When you're being railroaded, taking the polite approach rarely ever works. Sometimes when you come out strong, that truth comes to bite you in the ass if proven you lied. But clearly Brady isn't in the wrong and has never lied, considering he answered questioning under oath, so vehemently denying at the start would've made him look pretty good once the falsified Well's Report came out.

Alas, can't change that all now, but Brady can still get in some verbal shots, set the record straight finally, and then follow that with a defamation suit.

One stat I'd like to hear, when the chief judge is the one on the losing side of a 2-1 argument, how often is that taken to the full court versus when the chief is on the winning 2-1 side? I'd assume, though maybe incorrectly, that the chief has a bit more sway by the nature of being the chief.
If not we have to hope that the very significant nature of the ruling against workers will be taken up by the even higher justice sham that will arbitrarily decide for side B.

It's generally true that when there's a reversal and a dissenting opinion, your chances of being granted a discretionary appeal increase. The fact that the dissenter was the chief gives it a bit more weight.

Not saying it will happen, but there's a chance. Probably a better chance than most seem to think.

Except no one publicly cares how well he played. As sad as it is, talking smack in the media gets more play than your on-field performance.

Go take a look at Peyton Manning. Clearly he used HGH. He came out and adamantly denied and look......that story has completely disappeared.

When you're being railroaded, taking the polite approach rarely ever works. Sometimes when you come out strong, that truth comes to bite you in the ass if proven you lied. But clearly Brady isn't in the wrong and has never lied, considering he answered questioning under oath, so vehemently denying at the start would've made him look pretty good once the falsified Well's Report came out.

Alas, can't change that all now, but Brady can still get in some verbal shots, set the record straight finally, and then follow that with a defamation suit.

I think you may be lumping me in with others about something different altogether. That would be wanting to see Brady lash back, verbally. I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on that matter.

I'm simply voicing my concern that he came back on fire last time and that unforeseen circumstances flamed it out. Let's hope he can avoid "snapping" a bit in the other direction, which is what about 99 percent of the rest of us would do.

He can certainly speak to the other judges in private and persuade them that this is a case that should be heard by the entire 2nd circuit. I have no idea how influential he is within the court though. Also, I have no idea if he was voted as Chief Judge by the other second circuit judges (which would indicate the respect of his peers) or whether he was elevated by Obama. He is certainly known as a great jurist, according to his wikipedia page.

I think this case has a better shot at getting an en banc hearing than your typical en banc appeal. The strongly worded dissent by Katzmann suggests that he was not happy with the outcome.

It's generally true that when there's a reversal and a dissenting opinion, your chances of being granted a discretionary appeal increase. The fact that the dissenter was the chief gives it a bit more weight.

Not saying it will happen, but there's a chance. Probably a better chance than most seem to think.

Thanks for the info YGM

Brady needs to come out and say something. Not just a couple paragraph press release.

But a symptom of why the whole things is to pot is Manning getting blasted even for the shortened time he did. The Patriot board should have been the very first to say 'if media says it then it should be looked at with EXTREME skepticism'. Instead most here loved it --- ergo the power of the media to make Manning the good guy and Brady the bad guy is solidified by the very people who should be leading the charge to lessen it.
Whatever comic strip it was said it best: we have met the enemy and he is us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back