PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paul Perillo Made an Excellent Point on Mac vs. Zappe

Throughout all of preseason, the consensus was that the entire offense was a mess. The “new” offense would take at least a few games to come together. Why are we now surprised that the offense is playing better? Zappe didn’t just come in and fix everything himself (although he has performed admirably). The team is just starting to figure out what works and what doesn’t, just like it does every year. The change at QB was not a primary factor. If Mac comes back and the offense regresses, then it becomes more interesting. I don’t expect that to happen.

This The Patriots aren't exactly the greatest September team in the history of the league, they usually take time to come into their own. As most of you know I'm one of the biggest Mac supporters, but as my esteemed colleague here says if he comes in with this offense and craps the bed over and over again I'd be fine with him being benched for Zappe. I just want what's best for the team. But in my opinion Mac hasn't gotten a fair shake yet.

I'd also love to know how many of the people who want to go with Zappe are the people who never wanted Mac here in the first place? The people who wanted to keep Cam, or to trade for Jimmy G, or to move up in the draft to get Lance or Fields or whoever.

The Browns pass defense is better than Baltimore pass defense

Browns were missing Denzel Ward, who was the 4th overall pick in the draft a few years ago and is an elite CB

That certainly helped

Browns were missing Denzel Ward, who was the 4th overall pick in the draft a few years ago and is an elite CB

That certainly helped
And Ward could only cover one WR. Zappe hit eight Receivers including himself for good measures. :)

Do you always agree with these pundits? Do you always take their opinion as unconditional fact? Some of the same pundits who, at times, have lambasted Belichick. Some of the same pundits who've previously said Patricia can't coach offense.

A better question: Are these pundits always right, all the time? The obvious answer is "no". Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, often they disagree with each other and there's plenty of grey-area in between.
I don't even give those "pundits" that much credit. "Talkin heads" is a better way to describe them. Not because they aren't smart and we all know better, but for most of them its all about click bait. Take Nick Wright. One day he is complaining how saying "Tom Brady as a clutch QB is a ridiculous statement" Next he is saying that "Bailey Zappe is the next Tom Brady". Click bait... Saw those headlines and now I refuse to even open his links up. Learned my lesson, some of those headlines are up there in youtube 24 hours before the content is there. You really have to wade through the noise to find something real.

I believe that what really bothers BB more than anything else is turnovers. Mac has turned the ball over alot this year. Bill will not tolerate turnovers and Mac will have a very short leash until Mac is more careful with the ball.
Say what you want about Zappe but he has been reasonably careful with the ball.

I feel like I have heard that one before.

People who downgrade what the Pats and Mac Jones did last year point to all the players being out who they played during that seven game win streak. It is fair to do it now. If I go back in your history, are you sure you didn't discount a Mac Jones or Patriots win last year because someone being out?

You can only play the team you face on the schedule. But the Browns are not a good team.

Haven't you heard Clowney is part time player this year Browns fans are accustomed .:rofl:

Clowney is a pure pass rusher at this point. He sucks against the run.

People who downgrade what the Pats and Mac Jones did last year point to all the players being out who they played during that seven game win streak. It is fair to do it now. If I go back in your history, are you sure you didn't discount a Mac Jones or Patriots win last year because someone being out?

You can only play the team you face on the schedule. But the Browns are not a good team.
My point was more that Clowney is always hurt lol. But I think Mac Jones' best career game was last year vs Cleveland and in a very small sample size Zappe's is now too. The Browns are a mess and the defense made Jacoby look clueless so Zappe slinging it all over was the icing on the cake.

My point was more that Clowney is always hurt lol. But I think Mac Jones' best career game was last year vs Cleveland and in a very small sample size Zappe's is now too. The Browns are a mess and the defense made Jacoby look clueless so Zappe slinging it all over was the icing on the cake.

Sure he is always hurt. I agree with that. But when he does play, he is a very good pass rusher. Unfortunately for the Browns, that is about half the time.

I know I may come off as a Zappe hater (just my debating style where I argue my position hard and it comes off as hate towards the other position). I really liked what Zappe did yesterday. I am not sold on the guy, but it was a really nice performance. I would need to see him repeat that several more times (or close to it) to make me feel like it isn't just the competition yesterday.

I remember after the Patriots played the Texans last year, a lot of people were saying the Pats blew it because they could have gotten a defensive player in round one and drafted Davis Mills (Mills was 21 for 29 for 312 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs in that game) and gotten their franchise QB. Mills has been mediocre this year and most of last year.

I don't know guys. All I see is that Zappe looks confident in the pocket and Mac looks hesitant. Blame it or credit it on what you want, but I predict that BB will stay with the hot hand until said hand becomes cold. Drew Bledsoe never got his job back either.

I mean Zappe was QB3, 4th RD rookie thrown into the mix in the middle of the year. Mac had a good year and half of having his hand held by Josh. Being coached up and having things structured for him. I'd hope he's farther along pre-snap but at the same time lets not act like he was a savant back there either. He had trouble identifying pressure, didn't always check into the right plays at the line. He was committing 2-3 TO worthy plays a game along with the INTs.
Zappe has been limited to an extent but it's not like we were lighting it up with Mac.

Zappe / Jones
ANY/A - 7.99 > 5.51
NY/ A - 7.52 > 7.32
AY/A - 9.01 > 6.20
YA - 8.5 > 8.1

And yet Mac Jones is getting his job back when he's healthy. Probably will make his debut next Monday night.

What does that tell you about what the coaches think?
If that's what they indeed think: then what they think would be as incorrect as when they thought that starting Hoyer in Lambeau over Zappe was the correct move.

This was a fantastic play by Zappe. Looks like he knows it's man coverage pre-snap. Moves his hips/eyes left after taking the snap to pull the inside backers in that direction, and then snaps back to his right without any hesitation, and throws a perfect dart to Parker on the slant against tight coverage.

Bailey_Zappe_All_Plays_WEEK_6_vs_Cleveland_QB_Conversation.gif

Can't say he's a one-read and done quarterback. He's seeing the field well - using his eyes well. Feeling the pocket well - moving in the pocket well. Throwing the ball with decisiveness, zip, and accuracy. Great against the blitz. Checking all the boxes.

I mean Zappe was QB3, 4th RD rookie thrown into the mix in the middle of the year. Mac had a good year and half of having his hand held by Josh. Being coached up and having things structured for him. I'd hope he's farther along pre-snap but at the same time lets not act like he was a savant back there either. He had trouble identifying pressure, didn't always check into the right plays at the line. He was committing 2-3 TO worthy plays a game along with the INTs.
Zappe has been limited to an extent but it's not like we were lighting it up with Mac.

Zappe / Jones
ANY/A - 7.99 > 5.51
NY/ A - 7.52 > 7.32
AY/A - 9.01 > 6.20
YA - 8.5 > 8.1
A fact you miss, BGC is the TO margins over the last 2 games, EIGHT. as well as the 4th down stops (8 in the last 2 games) Those are numbers Mac didn't have in those first 3 games when the Pats had only a couple of TO's.

Young inexperienced QB's, especially back ups who don't get many snaps in practice, EVENTUALLY hit a wall. Yesterday the Dallas QB, who hadn't thrown a pick in 5 games, threw 3 against Philly. The Superbowl MVP has 8 picks already, but ironically has a 71% completion rate which is by FAR the best of his career, so stats can be selective depending on the narrative you want to say.

Look, Zappe has played REALY well the last 2 games, especially when you think about that he is a rookie many thought was over drafted in the 4th round, getting 3rd team reps all preseason and the first 3 games. But the fact remains that all the positives we are gushing about Bailey, are the same ones we were gushing about Mac last season

BTW- The announcers made an interesting stat after one of Jacobi's fumbles. He mentioned, IIRC, something like, the NFL has had 37 fumbles this year where last year there were only 17 at this point of the season. If true, its kind of interesting and perhaps one of the reasons you could have made a LOT of money playing the under so far this season. ;)

Last edited:
Sure he is always hurt. I agree with that. But when he does play, he is a very good pass rusher. Unfortunately for the Browns, that is about half the time.

I know I may come off as a Zappe hater (just my debating style where I argue my position hard and it comes off as hate towards the other position). I really liked what Zappe did yesterday. I am not sold on the guy, but it was a really nice performance. I would need to see him repeat that several more times (or close to it) to make me feel like it isn't just the competition yesterday.

I remember after the Patriots played the Texans last year, a lot of people were saying the Pats blew it because they could have gotten a defensive player in round one and drafted Davis Mills (Mills was 21 for 29 for 312 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs in that game) and gotten their franchise QB. Mills has been mediocre this year and most of last year.
I am not necessarily all aboard the Zappe train but he does seem to have the hot hand. I don't know how many more starts he gets until Mac comes back but if he puts a few performances together like the one yesterday then it would be hard to pull him out of there. There are some guys who you just assume are backups and might play well against bad teams and Zappe may be one of them but at this point I wouldn't be mad if Zappe was given the chance to prove people right or wrong.

People are saying look Zappe is throwing to wide open receiver.
People, as they often are, are wrong.

Zappe threads the needle, zipping the ball in where he sees the receiver will be. And he's doing it under pressure from the down and distance and the rush.

The coaches aren't ignoring what they see. Or the results.

This is not a Berry/Flutie situation where the head coach wears an Eason-cologne scented blindfold.

This was a fantastic play by Zappe. Looks like he knows it's man coverage pre-snap. Moves his hips/eyes left after taking the snap to pull the inside backers in that direction, and then snaps back to his right without any hesitation, and throws a perfect dart to Parker on the slant against tight coverage.

View attachment 46325

Can't say he's a one-read and done quarterback. He's seeing the field well - using his eyes well. Feeling the pocket well - moving in the pocket well. Throwing the ball with decisiveness, zip, and accuracy. Great against the blitz. Checking all the boxes.
He had a better one on the TD pass to Thornton, I believe. But this shows a lot of awareness of the offense AND good coaching. But I guess the 2nd point doesn't fit your narrative on the coaches, does it?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back