PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Jacoby Brissett to the Colts for Phillip Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had similar thoughts. It's natural to.

In 2018, his cap hit will be $5.1m and if cut/retires $2m in dead money is left on the books. This is DA all over again.

My gut tells me they will monitor his rehab and ask him to redo his deal.

I'd be surprised if he put up a 90/1000 yd year in 2018. I think the heavy workloads seasons are over however doubting that man is a fools errand

If he makes it all the way back in 2018, I see him becoming the next DA in 2019. Lightened workload but still an important part of the WR corps and backstop on STs.

Yeah I didnt mention his contract because I feel like that ultimately it wouldnt be an obstacle. No other team will significantly outbid the Pats for a 32+ year WR with a recent ACL. So there shouldnt be this temptation for him to maximize his earnings with one last contract.

Also I think DA is a good analogy for his situation. It will be something to monitor.

quote:

It was a text message from New England at 7 p.m. Friday that started the trade that, when it was complete at midday Saturday, knocked people off their beach chairs on this Labor Day weekend. On Friday evening, a Patriots operative texted the Colts and asked, and I am paraphrasing: Any interest in Jacoby Brissett for Phillip Dorsett?

he goes on speculating use of Dorsett, Hogan ..

link: Peter King's MMQB: A Pats-Seahawks SB52 Prediction

Yeah I didnt mention his contract because I feel like that ultimately it wouldnt be an obstacle. No other team will significantly outbid the Pats for a 32+ year WR with a recent ACL. So there shouldnt be this temptation for him to maximize his earnings with one last contract.

Also I think DA is a good analogy for his situation. It will be something to monitor.
edelman has a contract for 2018-2019
My guess, as others have said, is that it will need to be reworked each year, as was the case with DA.

The team is well prepared for 2018 with Cooks, Hogan, Dorsett and Mitchell. Edelman is also under contract. If Edelman can't play, the team still has 4.

I am bracing for some downvotes but at this point do we even know if we havent seen the last of Edelman?

Yes, I know he is an insane and relentless worker but lets not forget he will be 32 next May coming off an injury that usually takes an additional season to fully get back to 100%. The team needs to at least prepare for life without Edelman..

HAHAHA

Once more for the experts on this forum.

A drop is only counted when the ball touches a WRs hand. Balls that bounce off and sail incomplete do not count even though they should have been caught. As someone else stated, Edelman dropped 3 passes in the first half of 1 game. Do you actually believe that Dorset only dropped 3 passes out of 98 targets? Seriously?
Please show us one example of a drop by Dorset that didn't touch his hands. Someone posted all 98 targets so it's right there for you.

If I understand this correctly (i haven't checked the contract), Edelman's salary will be about $3M. Maybe, the team will ask him to reduce that, or not. All the guaranteed money will be paid this year.

I've had similar thoughts. It's natural to.

In 2018, his cap hit will be $5.1m and if cut/retires $2m in dead money is left on the books. This is DA all over again.

My gut tells me they will monitor his rehab and ask him to redo his deal.

I'd be surprised if he put up a 90/1000 yd year in 2018. I think the heavy workloads seasons are over however doubting that man is a fools errand

If he makes it all the way back in 2018, I see him becoming the next DA in 2019. Lightened workload but still an important part of the WR corps and backstop on STs.

I am bracing for some downvotes but at this point do we even know if we havent seen the last of Edelman?

Yes, I know he is an insane and relentless worker but lets not forget he will be 32 next May coming off an injury that usually takes an additional season to fully get back to 100%. The team needs to at least prepare for life without Edelman..

I expect him back next season but I agree that finding his successor is going to become important. They have had an amazing run with Brown, Welker, and Edelman in the slot.

Cooks may wind up being that guy. We want him for the sexy role, but he might be needed in the important role instead. This offense lives and dies in the slot.

Wait, what the f***? Beyond the trade itself, this means the team has no third QB and their second string QB is a free agent next year. If Jimmy is gone then who the hell backs up TB12? Makes me think that they are either planning on extending him somehow.

Mr. Wall, meet Mr. Handwriting.

Mr. Handwriting, meet Mr. Wall.

So Triumph's clowning himself (nothing new there), and people are going physical in their threats/posturing, and it's all over a swap of a 3rd round player, who was either going to be cut or never see the field, for a 1st round player, who was either going to be cut or traded. And the trade brought back the best combination of speed and upside for potential depth that was available at a position where the best player was lost for the season.

Yeah.....

It's time for the season to start.

quote:

It was a text message from New England at 7 p.m. Friday that started the trade that, when it was complete at midday Saturday, knocked people off their beach chairs on this Labor Day weekend. On Friday evening, a Patriots operative texted the Colts and asked, and I am paraphrasing: Any interest in Jacoby Brissett for Phillip Dorsett?

he goes on speculating use of Dorsett, Hogan ..

link: Peter King's MMQB: A Pats-Seahawks SB52 Prediction

I think it's good that things are that cordial between the two teams. Chances are that the vast majority of the bad blood between them left with Grigson.

I think it's good that things are that cordial between the two teams. Chances are that the vast majority of the bad blood between them left with Grigson.

Unless their clown for an owner is willing to vote to cancel Go-to-hell's contract; I could live without cordiality with that team. . . .But whatever. As long as BB is getting better end of deals (which I'm not sure of in long term; but seems like it at least for this season).

Was Dorsett at practice today?

Thank You sir I cannot wait to see him play. I can picture Brady turning him into a All Pro receiver

Please show us one example of a drop by Dorset that didn't touch his hands. Someone posted all 98 targets so it's right there for you.

3 drops in not too many.

Dorsett was losing his job in Indy to a better WR. 66% catch rate s the magic number and Dorset wont be around long if he doesnt get with the program.

In two seasons, he’s never caught more than five passes in a game, never eclipsed 100 receiving yards, either. There have been too many drops. To be fair, there have also been too few plays designed to utilize his strengths in the open field.

Insider: Has Colts receiver Phillip Dorsett done enough to keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes