PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats still interested in Sherman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the Seahawks Trade Richard Sherman | Over the Cap

Seattle is in a bit of an odd place right now. I don’t consider Seattle’s window shut by any means, but last year was the first indication that it could be closing. This was their second straight season where they were unable to get to 11 wins and their first year in which their efficiency numbers over at Football Outsiders took a pretty deep dive– dropping from their four year average DVOA of 37 to under 9. Granted that fall wasn’t so much the fault of the defense, but it may have been a signal that it is about time to change things up.

Seattle’s success was built upon great drafts for the first few years that Pete Carroll was brought in to run the franchise. From 2010 to 2012 their draft picks produced multiple starters who have been selected to over 20 Pro Bowls. Their top picks became household names- Sherman, Earl Thomas, Russell Wilson, KJ Wright, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner- and helped carry the team to a tremendous run. But in recent years that has been lacking. Since 2013 they have produced minimal starters, and only one Seahawks draft pick has made the Pro Bowl.

Seattle employs what I refer to as a superstar contract strategy. They pay big money for big players and don’t let guys they want to keep walk away. Right now I have their spending estimates on a per year basis to be third in the NFL and considering most of their players were signed a few years ago that is probably tops in the league on an inflated basis. It’s imperative when you use that type of strategy that you replenish or supplement the old with the young and thus far Seattle has failed to do that.

That puts the Seahawks at a crossroads right now. Some of this is their own doing and some is just the state of the league. Seattle, when they extended many of their star players, opted to sign somewhat shorter term contracts than other teams normally would have done. They also have set what I think is a bad precedent of opening contracts up to some form of renegotiation at an early date. Salaries have continued to rise to unprecedented levels around the NFL.

If you are Seattle what do you do? Do you opt into another set of contracts with what are now aging players or see if you can get something very valuable for the players that you may see some risk in signing? It is not an easy decision because Seattle doesn’t have the great youth to just jump in and take positions over for the aging players. These are problems that are faced by many teams that have faded out of the picture like the Ravens and the Giants a few years back. Without the young talent a successful team can become pretty old in the blink of an eye and then it becomes hard to get better.​

Seahawks GM John Schneider on Richard Sherman trade rumors: ‘What you’ve seen lately in the news is real’

“I think we’re a very unique organization in that regard,’’ Schneider said. “We have a great relationship with a lot of our players. There’s very much an openness. What you’ve seen lately in the news is real. That’s on both sides. It’s just open communication. He knows what’s going on. We know what’s going on. I don’t know if anything would ever happen. But like I tell people all the time, 98 percent of the deals that we’re involved with, we don’t follow through with. But at least we’ve opened that door, gone down the road and seen what’s behind door A or door B.”​

aka they are opening to moving him for the right price...but what would we have to give up...We have the cap space

Let's just trade the rest of our draft for him...

Sherman here be great but I would worry with Rowe we would almost be too big at CB. Some of the smaller shiftier WRs could really gives us trouble and we would not have the resources to get a guy to fix that after trading for Sherman if he is not already on the roster most likely.

Personally I'd do it for a 2nd not a first. 2 years are what is just a few million below his market value isn't that great a deal.

Sherman: $11.4m +11m

Butler would be less than that for the next two years, on the tender + tag. And that's before factoring in the trade costs.
I don't believe they'll tag Butler next year, though.

I'd rather have Sherman at $11m a year than Butler on an extension at roughly the same cost. But giving up draft capital gives me pause. I can see a situation where they trade Butler to the Saints for the 32nd pick, then trade down for a 2nd and a 4th, and move that new 2nd for Sherman. At that point you've essentially traded Butler on a 1 year (though cheap) deal for 2 years of Sherman and a 4th round pick.

I don't see the difference in cost as meaning a lot to them right now since they have a lot of cash. Also, I think it would settle things in the CB room - I don't expect Sherman would be too upset with only making a couple million a year less than Gilmore who is younger. And he would also likely be thinking that he can just play really well as the #2 CB (and having McCourty and Chung behind him makes that even easier), then cash on on another nice contract after 2 years.

Sherman here be great but I would worry with Rowe we would almost be too big at CB. Some of the smaller shiftier WRs could really gives us trouble and we would not have the resources to get a guy to fix that after trading for Sherman if he is not already on the roster most likely.

Personally I'd do it for a 2nd not a first. 2 years are what is just a few million below his market value isn't that great a deal.
So, some (insanely optimistic) people here would be expecting the 11th overall pick for Malcolm Butler, but would only part with a 2nd rounder for Richard Sherman? :eek:

From New England's viewpoint Sherman is a better CB than Butler, but Butler would cost less money and is two years younger. With several big contracts up soon the Pats need to roll over some cap dollars to 2018.

From Seattle's viewpoint the Patriots don't have what they want and need (early 2017 draft picks) to make it worth their while to trade Sherman.

This potential trade doesn't make much sense for either side.

butler for Sherman straight up could be a deal i see both sides doing.

I have to think it'd involve Butler somehow.
Now there's an interesting concept - trade Butler and a 4th for Sherman and a 3rd. Seattle gets a younger player that they can extend on similar money as Sherman but get the first year cheap, and it only costs them one round's worth of pick movement.

Sherman would bring intangibles to the defense as well. His act is all part of his psychological game. He gets in WRs & QBs heads. Remember him saying Manning through ducks before SB48?

The two best defenses of this decade (Seattle 2013 & Denver 2015) both had elite talent & players that knew they were the best. We finally have elite talent. Sherman would help with building that attitude.

The move would be similar to Rodney Harrison. He's an elite pain in the ass when he's not on your team but a fan favorite if he plays in your colors. They both bring confident ****iness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back