PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign S Tank Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Tank Williams

I think a lot of people in here are confusing this guy with Tank Johnson - due to the strange amount of shock in here.

You are absolutely right....I just didn't think there were that many Tanks in the world.

Like I have been saying for a few years now Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time. I think when he gets it right he'll spend the money to have 2 upper tier safties in the box on a good number of plays. He's getting closer and closer to soccer formations where strong teams play with 5 midfielders instead of the customary 4 midfielders. ... in this case it will be a 3-3-2 which will replace the 3-4-1.

Instead of controlling the line of scrimmage Belichick has been working to perfect controlling the linebacker area. I laugh everytime the announcers talk of how good the Patriots are in the defensive redzone. It's not just there that they get better ... it's that Belichick employs protecting that "redzone area" all the way up and down the field.

I can't wait till he gets it like he likes it ... it will change the defensive side of the ball forever and other teams will be several drafts away from even beginning to copy it. If Rodney were younger I think Belichick would employ it full force right now.

What's better than 1 Rodney ... 2 Rodneys of course.

Tank Williams? What does he bring to the party that we don't already have? Unless the Pats are getting ready to let Rodney go?
You need someone to start over Sanders....anyone!
DW Toys

Poor Tank Williams don't get no respect. First he's mistaken for Tank Johnson and then for Hank Williams. 6'2", 223 lbs., good size. Can he run?
Ran a 4.45 at Stanford. Yes he can. Injuries?
DW Toys

An option that was apparently no better than what was already intact. I don't see where the argument lies; if you're trying to convince yourself that Williams is good enough to be a starting safety or an improvement over what the Patriots already have, you're delusional.
Remember Sanders?....This guy could be better easy.
DW Toys

He is depth, doesnt mean we still dont draft one and create some camp competition.

Is Merriweather going to CB? I like this pickup but I also like Sanders at Safety as well.

I think the signing makes sense, given how often they moved Rodney up and played him as a quasi-linebacker late in the year. Maybe they feel that he's not up for taking that kind of a beating anymore, and want Tank specifically for these situations? Belichick is probably the best ever at taking players who do one thing really well and maximizing their utility by playing them situationally; I'd imagine that this signing is looking in that direction.

Last edited:

DW Toys

You're like a broken record, cousin. Sanders this, Sanders that. Did Sanders bang your wife or something? Your incessant vitriol toward this one guy is astonishing.

Like I have been saying for a few years now Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time. I think when he gets it right he'll spend the money to have 2 upper tier safties in the box on a good number of plays. He's getting closer and closer to soccer formations where strong teams play with 5 midfielders instead of the customary 4 midfielders. ... in this case it will be a 3-3-2 which will replace the 3-4-1.

Instead of controlling the line of scrimmage Belichick has been working to perfect controlling the linebacker area. I laugh everytime the announcers talk of how good the Patriots are in the defensive redzone. It's not just there that they get better ... it's that Belichick employs protecting that "redzone area" all the way up and down the field.

I can't wait till he gets it like he likes it ... it will change the defensive side of the ball forever and other teams will be several drafts away from even beginning to copy it. If Rodney were younger I think Belichick would employ it full force right now.

What's better than 1 Rodney ... 2 Rodneys of course.

Very interesting. I sorta understand this, sorta not. What do you mean by "Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time"? Normally there is a SS and FS. Do you mean 2 SS's?

I think Williiams need to make the team frist.....I think it's more a STer....

Notice the word IF. I could make some wisecrack about you getting your reading skills down before mouthing off, but I don't feel like sinking to your level right now. Additionally, by all accounts Wilson IS off the team already, so same result.

You saying IF doesn't change the fact that you were wrong about how Wilson's tenure with the Patriots ended. BTW, you'd actually have to come up to my level by having your facts straight.

The only thing a wisecrack about my reading skills would do for you is show you to be more erroneous than you've already proven yourself to be.

DW Toys

This just shows how wrong you are about Sanders. He's a legit starter in the NFL and you think he stinks. Some people just have no concept.

Remember Sanders?....This guy could be better easy.
DW Toys

What in the hell are you talking about? Sanders is a good, young safety, and he is still developing. How can you say he is bad? :eek: What in the hell has he done?
Glad you aren't my team's GM.

Eugene Wilson is a FA and the Pats told him they will not bring him back. James Sanders has NOTHING to worry about at all, he will be a starter and he is a fast rising player.

James Sanders has peaked, what you saw last year is James at his optimum, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes he takes bad angles and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he'll be around the football in his deep zone and sometimes he won't. He's serviceable.

Very interesting. I sorta understand this, sorta not. What do you mean by "Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time"? Normally there is a SS and FS. Do you mean 2 SS's?

Yes ... Belichick is enamored with SS's and their versatility to do everything.

James Sanders has peaked, what you saw last year is James at his optimum, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes he takes bad angles and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he'll be around the football in his deep zone and sometimes he won't. He's serviceable.

???

I look foward to Dom Capers' coaching up the D-Backs. That's all I'll say.

Maybe this guy could bulk up and play ILB and be like Urlacher who was also a safety convert.

That's what it looks to me, too. And possibly a Weed Willie Andrews replacement, also.

Tank Williams was a FA whom I really wanted the FO to sign after the '05 season. Rodney had suffered his season-ending knee/leg injury in Pittsburgh, and his playing future was still in some doubt. And Tank seemed to have recovered well enough from his own '04 injury, as he played - and started - all 16 games in '05.

After suffering two season-ending injuries to the same knee in three years, however, Tank's days as a potential starting candidate at SS appear to be over. Nevertheless, I like this signing. Tank is obviously a tough kid; he is also a smart kid and by all accounts loves football. He doesn't have the coverage ability of even James Sanders (which isn't saying much, at all), but if used properly he might not be a liability on defense, and he will definitely be an asset on STs if he can last an entire 19-game season (incl. POs & SB).

That's the way Coach B sees it too I bet but who knows if he will even make the roster out of TC since they will easily be another draftee or 2 in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News