PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign S Tank Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoring up the secondary when you are hit by injuries in the middle of a season is a lot different than trying to assemble talent to start the offseason.

It's a lot easier to bring guys in that have half a clue what you are trying to do and get them to be decent than to bring somebody in green in the middle of the season. They have a little bit of time to figure out what he can do in the system, whether he has the capacity to measure up through mini camp, training camp, etc. If he can't get it done, he'll be gone.

He is one-dimensional and a liability in coverage. He reads well but isn't enough of an athlete to react and make plays when the ball is in the air in coverage.

We probably should stay away from type-casting the guy. From the game that I recall, the Mike Cloud game where Ty Law sealed the win by limping an INT into the enzone (he has a bad ankle) late in the 4th quarter, Tank had solid coverage on guys like Fauria and Centers. The problem in that game for the Titans was their run defense. Even with Tank stacking the box, both Cloud and Antowain ran roughshod on that defense.

If he's healthy, then I think this a good pick up and he'll compete with Sanders for the 3rd safety spot. It's a low risk, decent return investment and the Pats are not going to cut Rodney because they picked up Tank.

Last edited:
He was free. I specifically remember him being mentioned as an option for the Patriots on several occasions after injuries in the secondary, yet they never even brought him in for a look-see; guys like Hank Poteat and Artrell Hawkins were signed instead.

You're memory clearly isn't correct.

Williams was a part of the 2005 Titans the entire season. 2005 is when the Pats brought in both Poteat and Hawkins to close out the season. Poteat was released in 2006 and signed with the Jets. Hawkins played the entire 2006 season with the Pats. So, the Patriots couldn't have brought them in INSTEAD of Williams in 2005 because he wasn't free then.

What I remember was people talking about Tank Williams in between the 2005 and 2006 seasons as an OPTION in the secondary. He signed with the Vkings.

Williams suffered his kneecap injury during training camp 2006. He might have been released on a injury settlement, but he was not healthy and did not play in 2006 and was never a true option.

Shoring up the secondary when you are hit by injuries in the middle of a season is a lot different than trying to assemble talent to start the offseason.

It's a lot easier to bring guys in that have half a clue what you are trying to do and get them to be decent than to bring somebody in green in the middle of the season. They have a little bit of time to figure out what he can do in the system, whether he has the capacity to measure up through mini camp, training camp, etc. If he can't get it done, he'll be gone.

Yeah, Artrell obviously knew what he was doing when he was brought into the fold. I mean, playing cornerback for the Bengals must have prepared him quite well to play safety for the Patriots. I'd temper my enthusiasm with Tank Williams guys, though if he can play special teams he'd have an inside track to making the team.

What I remember was people talking about Tank Williams in between the 2005 and 2006 seasons as an OPTION in the secondary.

An option that was apparently no better than what was already intact. I don't see where the argument lies; if you're trying to convince yourself that Williams is good enough to be a starting safety or an improvement over what the Patriots already have, you're delusional.

An option that was apparently no better than what was already intact. I don't see where the argument lies; if you're trying to convince yourself that Williams is good enough to be a starting safety or an improvement over what the Patriots already have, you're delusional.

I think delusional is a strong sentiment; typically, as we've seen with the oft mentioned Poteats and Hawkinses and Gays (gasp) and Morrises and Vrabels and Bradys (and I don't need to keep doing this do I?) we've often made offseasons of drafting or signing guys who, while not necessarily chock full of awesome statistics, huge lists of major accomplishments, extensive resumes, or eye popping raw talent, had the interest in the game, the football IQ, the "motor" for all that term is overused, etc where the coaches could work with the players and make it work. I'm not saying he might not be a bust, but given that the staff seems to have reassessed the "big star" signing mentality (not that they ever really had it) isn't it a bit strong to say it's "delusional" to think that BB and Pioli etc don't see something in the guy that might be better than what we had, or at least be better for the price at the position? I know they aren't all Brady's, obviously we all do, but we also have to acknowledge how OFTEN they're right about guys that we all say "wow, that's peculiar!" to in spite of the more "talented and expensive" free agent they just let sign somewhere else?

With regard to Jason Webster and Tank Williams, the Pats are

patching some holes in their defense until they can develop some

replacements.

Primetime, please go into the corner and perform the cranial/rectal inversion that you are seriously in need of.

1) I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. I was pointing out where you have your facts wrong.

2) A healthy Williams is better than Ray Ventrone or Willie Andrews on special teams. And probably an upgrade over Mel Mitchell as well. There is nothing delusional about that.

3) No where did I say that Williams was good enough to be a starting safety for the Patriots. He might have been back before the injury, but he has to prove himself again.

I saw Tank Williams play a lot at Stanford.He has good size and was a smart player who could really hit.I see Him as an "In The Box " Safety and Special Teamer.If healthy ,He's a typical Belichick/Pioli signing. My view is he'll contribute .

How does picking up a safety that's hardly played in two years magically give Meriweather the ability to play corner in the NFL?

I'm all ears, please explain.

How does picking up a safety that's hardly played in two years magically give Meriweather the ability to play corner in the NFL?

He doesn't. I seriously doubt the Patriots will move Brandon Meriweather to cornerback. Since when does Adam Schefter's speculation become fact?

Tank Williams is simply a replacement for the oft-injured Mel Mitchell on special teams. Meanwhile, Willie Andrews will most likely serving a four game league suspension for his drug bust.

Re: Pats sign Tank Williams

More safety depth. I don't think it would mean this but I hope it doesn't mean Meriweather is viewed as a serious candidate to start at corner.

That's how I see it as well... there may be a little bite to the rumor that Meriweather may be tried at CB. I'm warming to this idea, Meriweather may bring physical play that was somewhat lacking at CB last year. It's a big transition for Meriweaher, if true however, it won't be easy.

Re: Pats sign Tank Williams

That's how I see it as well... there may be a little bite to the rumor that Meriweather may be tried at CB. I'm warming to this idea, Meriweather may bring physical play that was somewhat lacking at CB last year. It's a big transition for Meriweaher, if true however, it won't be easy.

Meriweather was trained at cornerback last preseason. He was not good, he hated it and gave an interview aug-sept in which he sounded like he was let out of prison when allowed to work out at safety again.

Cross training does not mean ability to play the position. It's cross training, period.

Sanders doesn't need to be worried about his job. He's a solid strong safety who has come in and made plays when called upon.

Also, the Pats didn't CUT Wilson. His contract just ran out. The least you could do is have your facts straight.

Notice the word IF. I could make some wisecrack about you getting your reading skills down before mouthing off, but I don't feel like sinking to your level right now. Additionally, by all accounts Wilson IS off the team already, so same result.

Eugene Wilson is a FA and the Pats told him they will not bring him back. James Sanders has NOTHING to worry about at all, he will be a starter and he is a fast rising player.

Last edited:
I have seen in a number of threads including this one guys saying how bad merriweather is at playing cb (turns his hips wrong and other stuff etc etc) or that he doesn't have the skills to play cb.

Now I wont claim to have the video diagnosis ability to say those folks are right or wrong; but

I thought one of the positives at draft time on Merriweather was that he was the emergency CB down there at FL and played cb one year when their starters got hurt?

Yeah skills sets are slightly different between college and pros but we all know how BB loves versatility. So why is it so impossible to imagine Merriweather going to CB for some of you guys.

Part of organizing the team is to get the most athletic 11 guys on the field at any one time. would it be better to have merriweather as #3 safety watching or playing situationally or out there on the field taking the place of a randall gay or someone of lesser skills than gay???
BB would have the whole off season and TC to see if he couldnt train up merriweather to make the switch or to see if he can keep responsibilities straight playing S on one series and CB on a another.

its possible Meriweather could go to CB but why cant you guys think a guy coming from injury is here to play special teams..be a backup. Wilson gone, Mitchell an FA, Andrews could be in trouble. Gay who helped @ safety at times is gone. Quality, veteran depth

By force feeding him a handful of Mexican jumping beans.

looks more of a mel mitchell replacement for special teams if you ask me

That's what it looks to me, too. And possibly a Weed Willie Andrews replacement, also.

Tank Williams was a FA whom I really wanted the FO to sign after the '05 season. Rodney had suffered his season-ending knee/leg injury in Pittsburgh, and his playing future was still in some doubt. And Tank seemed to have recovered well enough from his own '04 injury, as he played - and started - all 16 games in '05.

After suffering two season-ending injuries to the same knee in three years, however, Tank's days as a potential starting candidate at SS appear to be over. Nevertheless, I like this signing. Tank is obviously a tough kid; he is also a smart kid and by all accounts loves football. He doesn't have the coverage ability of even James Sanders (which isn't saying much, at all), but if used properly he might not be a liability on defense, and he will definitely be an asset on STs if he can last an entire 19-game season (incl. POs & SB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes