PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign Josh Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are the odds he actually plays this year?? What are the actual odds here?

Call his sponsor and see if he’s following his suggestions. If he is, odds are great. If he’s not, odds are crap. He needs to take responsibility for his recovery. If he hasn’t it’s just a matter of time before he relapses. Even then, though, there are people that can stop for periods of time. So bottom line, there’s really no way of knowing without knowing what he does away from the football field.

Bottom line, we should treat Gordon playing as a potential pleasant surprise, and plan as if he's not gonna be on the roster

I don’t know why anyone is splitting hairs on “finishing the season” or not. In the 7 seasons he’s been in the league he averages just under 7.5 games a year. He will be hard to count on even if he is reinstated this season.

I don’t know why anyone is splitting hairs on “finishing the season” or not. In the 7 seasons he’s been in the league he averages just under 7.5 games a year. He will be hard to count on even if he is reinstated this season.
...and add the reality that Donkey Tommy is a lead-pipe lock to begin the season on the PUP (and waste precious cap resources while doing so), and the only conclusion to draw is that Bill still has LOTS of work to do at WR (and TE).

I don’t think the Pats can hold onto all those WRs plus Slater. Isabella or Brown will get practice squaded from that list, which seems like a waste.

Shoving aside that odds are that Isabella and Brown would both get claimed before they hit the PS I don't get the WR numbers you operate with. I think we can all agree that even if Gordon gets reinstated he will start the season suspended so he won't count initially against the roster.

Who would take the spots away from those 2 ?

I'm guessing Gordon gets suspended the first 8 games of the season. Add in DT probably misses the first 8 games on PUP (and maybe suspension ?). Game 9, we may have Gordon AND Thomas playing. Both need to stay healthy/clean, and they become decent to very good receiving options for Brady. I'm hoping it's not another FULL season suspension for Gordon. That would really suck. I'm wondering if the Pats might've received some guidance from the NFL already as to what will happen with Gordon, hence they didn't release him.

Shoving aside that odds are that Isabella and Brown would both get claimed before they hit the PS I don't get the WR numbers you operate with. I think we can all agree that even if Gordon gets reinstated he will start the season suspended so he won't count initially against the roster.

Who would take the spots away from those 2 ?

I am assuming Gordon will return eventually and that Thomas does not get cut.

Edelman-Gordon-Thomas-Dorsett -Slater = locks

Isabella -Brown-Ellington-Berrios

Are the Pats going to carry 8-9 WRs? Seems like a lot. Berrios is most likely a goner and can’t imagine Bruce Ellington being cut.

Are the Pats going to carry 8-9 WRs? Seems like a lot. Berrios is most likely a goner and can’t imagine Bruce Ellington being cut.

Realistically the earliest we would see Gordon back would be November (if the missed games from last year will retroactively count for his suspension, maybe not at all if they don't).

Unless you are talking about another played named Brown I doubt that Isabella and him will be drafted later than the 4th round. What makes you think Ellington or Dorsett are locks over them in that case ?

Realistically the earliest we would see Gordon back would be November (if the missed games from last year will retroactively count for his suspension, maybe not at all if they don't).

Unless you are talking about another played named Brown I doubt that Isabella and him will be drafted later than the 4th round. What makes you think Ellington or Dorsett are locks over them in that case ?

Well, the Pats like veteran WRs, especially those who know the system, so Dorsett to me is a lock. Ellington is a another veteran guy and he comes cheap. He and Berrios would be the ones I cut if I’m Bill and I draft 2 promising WRs. Ellington later in the season when Gordon comes back

Gordon-Thomas-Edelman-Dorsett-Slater-Brown-Isabella. Seems like a lot of WRs. For example, Pats carried only 6 WRs last year.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call Dorsett a lock. Especially if you are assuming that both Gordon and Thomas are on the roster out of camp.

I'm not sure where you're getting that claim, when it's been reported that he could be reinstated by training camp.

I’m rooting for him to make it past whatever bees nest he’s gotten into

33% chance?

Bottom line, we should treat Gordon playing as a potential pleasant surprise, and plan as if he's not gonna be on the roster
I can practically guarantee you that is exactly how Bill Belichick is handling the situation. What else can you do? You obviously can’t count on him.

I wouldn't call Dorsett a lock. Especially if you are assuming that both Gordon and Thomas are on the roster out of camp.
Especially with a couple of expected draft picks added to the mix, this weekend. Dorsett’s dead cap hit is 500k, with a savings of 2.1m. He’s shown some flashes here and there and will likely make the team, but you’re right that he’s far from what anyone should consider a “lock.”

If both Gordon and Thomas are on the week one roster, Dorsett’s odds shoot down dramatically. No doubt about that. We’d also have Edelman + whatever draft picks are added, and that’s not even bringing up a ST guy like Ellington.

Well, the best way to use him is to activate him week 13

...and add the reality that Donkey Tommy is a lead-pipe lock to begin the season on the PUP (and waste precious cap resources while doing so), and the only conclusion to draw is that Bill still has LOTS of work to do at WR (and TE).

What cap resources is he wasting while on PUP exactly ?

His base salary is lower than Dorsett and almost 50% of what Gordon would get. You are talking about the 71k in game checks he would get each week ? When the salary cap will soon be at 200m ?

The only guarantees so far are the signing bonus and the report bonus that add up to 300k which is about 66% of a rookies minimum salary.

Seriously get out of here.

I'm not sure where you're getting that claim, when it's been reported that he could be reinstated by training camp.

Reinstating only means he is not on the exempt list anymore and can practice with the team. It doesn't mean that there won't be an official suspension still coming his way.

The same way it happened with e.g. Kareem Hunt. He was put on the exempt list at the end of November, missed the rest of the season and then got an 8 game suspension once his appeal for reinstatement went through this March. None of the games he missed while on the exempt list counted towards those 8 games so most probably the same will be true for Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes