PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats not trading Garoppolo - Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qbs are not evenly consistent throughout a game, so 'figuring him out' isn't really an argument.
Same with sacks. There just isn't enough playing time to see, and frankly, the first game and a half of a season doesn't tell you the things you need to know when judging an elite QB. You have to see that over time. Any QB in the NFL can throw a pretty pass to a wide open receiver. Its when you are beaten up, struggling, the rest of the team is having a crappy day and you need to carry them, and most importantly how you play in the post-season that really need to be seen.
I'll put it this way. I see much good and little bad in what Jimmy G has done, but we haven't scratched the surface of what you need to see to properly evaluate.

Agreed with much of that but I'm trying hard to look at JG with an objective lens as a QB instead of a guy who had zero expectations going into the season and obviously exceeded that by a mile...

If the Patriots do get the #12 they can unload the #32 for Cooks and Belichick could still turn the #12 into a lower first and more high picks to load up on defense. I still think Garrapolo is going to be dealt.

You don't think the Pats could draft some immediate help at TE or a pass rusher with that extra pick? I think those will help our 2017 chances for sure.

it's much less likely than JG being a good QB, and completely pointless if something happens to brady.......he is 40.....garoppolo showed extremely well in his time (without gronk) ..... to me, he has more value than one 1st pick......I'd rather have the insurance and kick the decision can 1 year down the road because regardless of how well brady played this year, he is 40 and it does matter

the way I look at it is not a 1st rounder, but the difference between what they can get this year and what they can get for him under the franchise tag after next year......having JG here for one more year is certainly worth more than that difference

If the Patriots do get the #12 they can unload the #32 for Cooks and Belichick could still turn the #12 into a lower first and more high picks to load up on defense. I still think Garrapolo is going to be dealt.

I rather keep number 12 unless they move down a few positions and get a 3rd rounder in return.

it's much less likely than JG being a good QB, and completely pointless if something happens to brady.......he is 40.....garoppolo showed extremely well in his time (without gronk) ..... to me, he has more value than one 1st pick......I'd rather have the insurance and kick the decision can 1 year down the road because regardless of how well brady played this year, he is 40 and it does matter

the way I look at it is not a 1st rounder, but the difference between what they can get this year and what they can get for him under the franchise tag after next year......having JG here for one more year is certainly worth more than that difference

Any opportunity the team has to get better should be taken advantage of. The team can use the first rounder for JG or perhaps trade down for an edge rusher, definitely TE, probably ILB and tackle. Maybe even a running back. These are immediate needs that need to be filled.

I don't want to pass that opportunity up for the unknown that Jimmy Garoppolo has what it takes to be the long term heir to Brady. Those other needs are important too.

I rather keep number 12 unless they move down a few positions and get a 3rd rounder in return.

It just depends upon who is in the board, and there will still be a lot of movement between now and the draft. One negative to keep in mind is that the Saints pick at #11, and they are going to take the best defensive player on the board, so a guy like Foster could disappear right in front of them. On the other hand they could pull a move like they did with Hightower and jump over them to get him, or they could end up with OJ Howard.

I do think the Garrapolo trade would most likely happen now because teams will play musical chairs with the free agent QBs and releases like Taylor, which should happen soon.

Any opportunity the team has to get better should be taken advantage of. The team can use the first rounder for JG or perhaps trade down for an edge rusher, definitely TE, probably ILB and tackle. Maybe even a running back. These are immediate needs that need to be filled.

I don't want to pass that opportunity up for the unknown that Jimmy Garoppolo has what it takes to be the long term heir to Brady. Those other needs are important too.

they can get all of those anyway

I'd prefer to get at the very least a 3rd in 2018 as well, but if #12 is all that's offered I wouldn't let it slide past draft day.

No way we get 2 #1s. Of course it would be worth 2 #1s for a true franchise QB (assuming JAG is one) but you have to remember most NFL GMs are not very astute and fear bad press/fan publicity.

I know we all love Jimmy because he's a Pat and we all look at him with Pats' colored lenses, but realistically if you look at the sample size, getting the 12th overall pick is great. Anything else is just a bonus IMO.

You are making huge leaps of faith by claiming Garrapolo will be better than Brady in a year or two. And making a decision to move on from Brady when he is the best player in football is nothing short of batsh.t crazy. Once again you are just employing the Max Kellerman "Brady is going to fall off a cliff " theory, which has zero evidence to back it up. The exact same argument has been made for years and years and Brady has shown no sign of deterioration , and has in fact been getting better. Yet you guys just keep moving the goalposts back year by year. It's no different than Borges, Felger, Mazzerrotti, CHB, Rob Parker etc etc etc...... who promise the end is near and deny the fact that they are serially wrong about everything.

Let's see the evidence that Brady is deteriorating? Not one of you can produce even a shred of it yet you continue to make the same baseless claims with absolute certitude. It's idiocy at its highest level.

I honestly have no clue whats going to happen. But if the Patriots are turning down Clevelands #12 pick + maybe more that tells me something.

Looking at it logically by the end of this season if Brady and JG are on the same team, Brady most likely will have 2 years left. So now you have a young QB that Bill obviously loves if the reports are true, and you think he is going to trade him away for maybe 2018 and 2019 of Brady? If they keep JG this season and don't trade him away they are most likely doing that because they think he is the future QB for the Pats.

There is just no way in hell they would pass up all those draft picks.

Its still early we will know more of the Pats are thinking before the draft.

I honestly have no clue whats going to happen. But if the Patriots are turning down Clevelands #12 pick + maybe more that tells me something.

Looking at it logically by the end of this season if Brady and JG are on the same team, Brady most likely will have 2 years left. So now you have a young QB that Bill obviously loves if the reports are true, and you think he is going to trade him away for maybe 2018 and 2019 of Brady? If they keep JG this season and don't trade him away they are most likely doing that because they think he is the future QB for the Pats.

There is just no way in hell they would pass up all those draft picks.

Its still early we will know more of the Pats are thinking before the draft.

people overstate what a couple of draft picks will accomplish

they haven't drafted high since mayo and the team is already young

The "cliff" bullsh.t is just that, bullsh.t. There is nothing in Brady's game to support it, and using players like Favre and Manning, who didn't anywhere near the kind of care Brady takes of himself, as examples is also complete crap.

Keep betting on Max Kellerman, I'll keep betting on Brady.

**** the cliff how long do you think Brady can be a top 5 QB in the NFL? Can he play until he is 45 years old? That is highly unlikely.

I'm just going to leave this here....

All of this is media fabricated though. We have no idea what the Patriots are thinking. If they are going to ride Brady until he can't play anymore than you have to make the trade for those draft picks. This year.

**** the cliff how long do you think Brady can be a top 5 QB in the NFL? Can he play until he is 45 years old? That is highly unlikely.

If Brady plays MVP-caliber football this coming season, do you move on anyway? Because that's the real question here: we can't pay both Garoppolo and Brady past 2017, so either this is Brady's last year or Garoppolo's future isn't here. I don't see any realistic third option.

Yes, because you say so, it must be true.

Of course you can't back it up at all but whatever up say.

WEEI caller: Garoppolo looked as good as Brady!

o_O

If the obvious roles and situations were reversed...I'm confident in saying even the 2002 Tom Brady wouldn't have bailed on the week 4 Bills game at the last minute forcing the team to change the game plan and play an injured Brissett. Any comparison between Tom and JG is laughable.

If they can get that #12 overall pick for JG.... take it and ruuuuuuuun! :)

Yes, because you say so, it must be true.

Of course you can't back it up at all but whatever up say.

How many great NFL 40 year old QB's have there been? How many great 42 year old NFL QB's have there been? How many great 44 year old NFL QB's have there been?

I am all for riding Brady until he cant play but they better trade JG this off season. Get as much as you can for him.

Going by history it isn't the smartest move to do that. Thats all I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST