PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats not trading Garoppolo - Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Bowls are team wins. Coaching plays a huge part in success its not all on the QB. Brady understands this.

Do we really know how good JG is after just 6 quarters of meaningful football? Cause I sure don't.

How many times does this need to be said? We have six quarters. They have three years of experience.

How many times does this need to be said? We have six quarters. They have three years of experience.

And I said do "we" really know how good JG is. How can anyone on this board definitively say he's an NFL starting QB never mind a franchise QB until we see a heck of a lot more than 6 quarters.

Yes, there are. Since JG is under contract it is illegal (ha!) tampering for there to be discussions between him and other teams unless NE gives permission for those discussions to take place.

Wait! You mean that some team might risk the severe punishment of a $100K fine? Horrors!

Looked to me like the Dolphins had started to figure him out when he got hurt.
Who knows what he'll be, but this idea drives me batty. The guy had put up 21 points in the first half and was driving at Miami's 21 when he got hurt.

Last edited:
Favre never took care of himself and was still playing well at forty, and the Packer wanted to move on because Favre constantly talked retirement, whereas Brady has consistently said he wants to play to 45, and he has shown the dedication and ability to do so.

Ok, suppose TFB plays at a high level until 45, it's certainly possible, but the smart money is on Jimmy G playing a lot longer than that. I have more confidence in TFB playing at a higher level for longer, which also muddies the water.

Anyway, we can go back and forth, my original point is that considering Jimmy G as the best option has nothing to do with disrespecting TFB, it's just a difference of opinion on the best path for the team.

Ok, suppose TFB plays at a high level until 45, it's certainly possible, but the smart money is on Jimmy G playing a lot longer than that. I have more confidence in TFB playing at a higher level for longer, which also muddies the water.

Anyway, we can go back and forth, my original point is that considering Jimmy G as the best option has nothing to do with disrespecting TFB, it's just a difference of opinion on the best path for the team.

And I disagree, the idea that Garrapolo is a better QB for the Patriots going forward is absolutely disrespectful to Tom Brady. He's a much better QB and people wanting the Patriots to go to Garrapolo are basing it solely upon his age when his performance is at another level altogether.

And I disagree, the idea that Garrapolo is a better QB for the Patriots going forward is absolutely disrespectful to Tom Brady. He's a much better QB and people wanting the Patriots to go to Garrapolo are basing it solely upon his age when his performance is at another level altogether.

Calm down with the disrespectful crap. Brady himself knows NFL jobs are not a popularity contest and it isn't about what you did in the past. Its about the future.
From here on out Brady is one hit away from retirement.

And I said do "we" really know how good JG is. How can anyone on this board definitively say he's an NFL starting QB never mind a franchise QB until we see a heck of a lot more than 6 quarters.

I can easily say both.

Who knows what he'll be, but this idea drives me batty. The guy had put up 21 points in the first half and was driving at Miami's 21 when he got hurt.

He started 9 of 10 and then went 9 of 17.

Calm down with the disrespectful crap. Brady himself knows NFL jobs are not a popularity contest and it isn't about what you did in the past. Its about the future.

I can easily say both.

I'll say what I think, and the Max Kellerman crap is as disrespectful as it gets. And it's more than ironic that you call Brady " one hit away" when your binky couldn't make it through 2 games while Brady went 14-1.

I can easily say both.

With absolutely nothing to back it up, whereas Brady has all the proof in his side. Not one of you has been able to make any substantive argument and you rely instead on " because I say so."

He does have one bit of leverage -- he can tell NE and/or teams X, Y, Z "I won't sign an extension with teams X, Y, or Z". That will make it much harder to trade him to those teams for what NE wants because they'll be less likely to be willing to cough up a high pick since they'll have a greater risk of losing JG (or having to franchise him) after a single season.
Not sure I would go that route if I were in his shoes. Pay days are hard to come by in the NFL. Especially for back up QB's. I'd probably want to get paid and the chances of that happening with the Pats is looking pretty slim right now.

It always comes back to Brady is one hit away from ending his career or he is going to fall of a cliff because. Of course he will decline with age ,gradually, but he'll still be better than most anyone out there and when he's not I have faith that he'll acknowledge it and retire and we will have a competent backup when that happens. The man averages a trip to the Super Bowl every other year. Do you haters understand that?7 Super Bowls! And we won 5 of them! There are teams that can't even get to one much less win one. People make it sound like JG is the second coming of Rodgers. And Rodgers has nothing on Brady besides Hail Marys.

Can anyone answer this (perhaps studid) question: are there any restrictions on what discussions JG and his agent can have with prospective trading teams about the extension he's willing to do with them so they know how much they can offer the pats? I.e. is there a chicken and egg problem or can all parties freely share info anytime?
Teams are forbidden from talking to Garoppolo (or his representatives) without permission from the Patriots.

However, let's face it... having a conversation with an agent and saying "gee, hypothetically, if you represented the backup QB of another team who was 1 year away from free agency, about what would he be looking for, nudge nudge wink wink" :D

Sure and BB calls him on it.

He gets to languish in NE for another year and piss of other fan bases.

Career suicide.
I'd rather "languish in NE" for 1 year (is it really "languishing" to be on the best team in football backing up the best QB in football?) and go to free agency in 2018 than sign a 6 year deal in some godforsaken hellhole that I don't want to play in.

If I was Garoppolo, I would refuse a trade unless it was to a place I want to be for the dollars I want to make (and yes I know he can't technically "refuse a trade" but he can refuse to sign a new deal with the new team, and no team is going to trade for him without a new deal).

Last edited:
No one here is disrespecting Brady. Some of us are questioning if he can maintain this level of play into his 40's, when literally no other QB in the history of the league has ever done it.
No way Tom Brady wins 5 Super Bowls. Literally no other QB in the history of the league has ever done it.

No way he wins 4 Super Bowl MVP's either. Literally no other QB in the history of the league has ever done it.

Couldn't disagree more, the Max Kellerman " he's going to fall off a cliff" argument has been employed throughout this thread and there has been a complete disregard for the fact that Brady has been getting better, not worse, while at the same time people are acting as if Jimmy Garrapolo is some kind of LOCK as a franchise QB, when the truth is that he went 1-0 and couldn't make it through two games while Brady went 14-1 and won them another Lombardi. If I were Brady I would tell the Patriot fans spewing this sh.t to go screw themselves.
Truer words were never spoken. It amazes me how so many people think Brady is going to fall off the cliff within a year AND how many people think Garoppolo is a sure-fire franchise QB. We've even seen people in here call him "the next Brady."

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes