PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats not trading Garoppolo - Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's great, and I don't think it's fair to say people on this board don't show him a lot of love and respect. Damn, we basically worship the guy.

Does it really comes down to avocados over pizza? I like avocados and pizza.

How can you make any equivalence between Brady and Garrapolo, and how is that not totally disrespectful?

How can you make any equivalence between Brady and Garrapolo, and how is that not totally disrespectful?

Probably because in the limited action we saw Jimmy G play he looked excellent.

Also, he's right, we basically DO worship TFB, which isn't very smart if you're trying to run a football team.

Also, he's right, we basically DO worship TFB, which isn't very smart if you're trying to run a football team.
Fans run the Patriots?

Well, I haven't drawn any equivalence between them. I think people are just trying to figure out what would be best for the team.

My personal opinion is that when it comes to Brady, I'm willing to do the objectively stupid thing and ride with him until the end. To me it just feels like the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Yep, that was as impressive as the four quarters Matt Flynn played against the Patriots, and look at him now, a first ballot inductee for the Robert E Lee High School Hall of Fame. Belichick should dump Brady, Jimmy G is the man.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't drawn and the equivalence between them. I think people are just trying to figure out what would be best for the team.

My personal opinion is that when it comes to Brady, I'm willing to do the objectively stupid thing and ride with him until the end. To me it just feels like the right thing to do.

That we agree on, but imo Brady deserves the benefit of the doubt until he actually shows in the field that his game is deteriorating. I made the exact same argument with many of the same people in September of 2014and they were sure Brady would have hit his "cliff" by now and all he has done is to win them two more Lombardi's. I really don't understand why people keep doubting him after everything he has done to disprove their beliefs Year in and Year out. He at least deserves a fact based argument showing his deterioration, but because they can't make that argument they resort to "just because we say so," which is as weakassed as it gets.

Well, I haven't drawn and the equivalence between them. I think people are just trying to figure out what would be best for the team.

If Bill was ever going to break a rule of his it would be for Tom. Brady did play amazing this season, it was 1 of his best seasons ever. He showed improvement in almost every way. Which is amazing. Not only that but it was his QB play that won the Super Bowls, it wasn't like he was riding on the defense to carry him or a great running attack. They won on Brady's arm and a well balanced team.

Manning had neck surgery came back and smashed NFL records and then was done the next season, or was on a steep decline. Was it because of the neck? That doesn't make sense.. it was because other parts of his Body were breaking down and I am sure the neck didn't help.

Off topic but what Manning did that season after his neck surgery almost doesn't make sense?

Can anyone answer this (perhaps studid) question: are there any restrictions on what discussions JG and his agent can have with prospective trading teams about the extension he's willing to do with them so they know how much they can offer the pats? I.e. is there a chicken and egg problem or can all parties freely share info anytime?

Yes, there are. Since JG is under contract it is illegal (ha!) tampering for there to be discussions between him and other teams unless NE gives permission for those discussions to take place.

At what point do people look at the facts and realize that Brady is unlike any QB that has ever played, and give him the benefit of the doubt? This is just like the draft, where people fall in love with theshiney new object and talk themselves into believing they will be the greatest ever. Brady has earned the respect of the benefit of the doubt and his play and the resulting numbers, wins, and championships all fall in his favor.

Try this, name the star young QB who has won more Super Bowls than Brady the past five, ten, fifteen, or twenty years?

Can't wait to see the results.

And if they were to put up odds on which QB will win the most Super Bowls the next five years I guarantee Brady would top that list. He's already the favorite to win it next year.

No one here is disrespecting Brady. Some of us are questioning if he can maintain this level of play into his 40's, when literally no other QB in the history of the league has ever done it.

The odds are that the Pats will need a new QB in the very near future & that it is highly unlikely they will find another QB as good as JG. Securing JG over the long run, gives the Pats a chance at another 10 year championship window. I can't think of anything, other than retaining BB's services, that is more important to the organization.

Do we really know how good JG is after just 6 quarters of meaningful football? Cause I sure don't.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Looked to me like the Dolphins had started to figure him out when he got hurt. How he adjusts to the league having a tape on him will tell the tale.

Yep, that was as impressive as the four quarters Matt Flynn played against the Patriots, and look at him now, a first ballot inductee for the Robert E Lee High School Hall of Fame. Belichick should dump Brady, Jimmy G is the man.

Yeah, I never suggested BB dump Brady.

OTOH, Green Bay decided they knew what they had in Aaron Rodgers and went with him over Farve, which turned out to be a smart move.

Those arguing for a move to Garrapolo should ask themselves this one question, which NFL QB is most likely to win multiple Lombardi's over the next five years? And that's what is most important and according to Belichick you can really only plan two years ahead, because anything else is too speculative.

OTOH, Green Bay decided they knew what they had in Aaron Rodgers and went with him over Farve, which turned out to be a smart move.

Favre never took care of himself and was still playing well at forty, and the Packer wanted to move on because Favre constantly talked retirement, whereas Brady has consistently said he wants to play to 45, and he has shown the dedication and ability to do so.

That smart move has led them to 1 SB in 8 years. Not saying he isn't great but nothing says you're getting to a SB with JG even if he is a good as AR.

Brady can get you to the SB. JG may or may not get you there.

Kyle Shanahan must be salivating at the thought of landing JG. They have no QB to speak of. I predict they trade for JG and also bring in Matt Shaub as the backup/insurance if things don't go well. Shaub lead the league in passing yards in 2009 with Shanahan.

Rumors are that Shanahan is also looking at Cousins which would also be a wise choice. But the cost of Cousins far outweighs JG this year. The savings on JG could be spent on bringing in some decent wide receivers to complement Carlos Hyde. Like I mentioned before with Shaub, Shanahan works wonders with QBs. He even made Hoyer look decent going 7-6 with the Browns in 2014 with Shanahan as the OC.

Fans run the Patriots?

No, thank the gods, but if a fan does think trading Brady is the smarter move they're probably thinking about what is best for the franchise rather than disrespecting Brady.

That smart move has led them to 1 SB in 8 years. Not saying he isn't great but nothing says you're getting to a SB with JG even if he is a good as AR.

Brady can get you to the SB. JG may or may not get you there.

Ok, so with Farve they would have had more than 1 SB?

Ok, so with Farve they would have had more than 1 SB?

Yeah I know. It's a crappy argument.

Just trying to point out that it's tough to gauge what a guy will get you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes