PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Saints WR Brandin Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
i never heard that one. what exactly did brady say about it?

I don't recall Brady saying it but the reports were that Brady got fed up with Moss demanding the ball, and that coupled with Moss' altercation with O'Brien on the flight home from a Miami led to the trade to Minnesota.

I really like Cooks as a player, he was a draft binky who just rose to high for the Patriots to have a shot at him, but if he wants to be a diva who has to get ten targets every game then it will never work. If, on the other hand, they could reach a reasonable extension with him and he could reign his ego in to be a part of the offense he could be an incredible weapon for them, I just don't know how likely that is. He could be a super charged version of Deion Branch.

Why wouldn't you want to give a first rounder for Cooks who was himself the 20th pick of the 2014 draft? The last two years he's averaged 1,155 yards and 81 catches. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just wondering if I'm I missing something?
He disappears sometimes. Too much in my opinion

the kid loves football, you can see it, sorry I hope this trade never happens lol

Last edited:
Makes sense.

If teams decide to play man coevrage, we need someone to be a constant threat if Gronk isn't playing or is doubled.

While I agree that your approach seems to be a no-brainer, this is not the first we've heard lately about PEOPLE SAYING Belichick's HAS A desire to add a deeper threat. Hopkins, Cooks (possibly twice), and now maybe Marshall too.

Rumor is that Brady really worked hard on his deeper accuracy last offseason and the results were even more impressive than they anticipated. It's certainly possible that this could be real interest.

Fixed that for you.

BB always keeps folks guessing, but iirc he has never ever used a 1st rnder either in draft or in trade for a wr. Why now?

Fixed that for you.

BB always keeps folks guessing, but iirc he has never ever used a 1st rnder either in draft or in trade for a wr. Why now?
Well, traded up for Jones and Hightower. So traded two first round picks in one draft. But you are right not for a wr. But that seems less important than the fact that this guy is a one year rental. That would be very unlike him.

I forgot how bad Cooks torched the Pats in practice.
This all sounds great except when you think about what you have to give up. You give up the best chance the Pats have to get a quality LB, DE, or DT prospect. Edelman may be entering his 30's, but he is still here and likely to be a quality WR for a year or two more.

WR might be the LEAST most critical need for the Pats this off season. #32 might not get you an elite prospect, but it can get you a good one, some one with more long term value than a 2 year (at most) rental.

Why wouldn't you want to give a first rounder for Cooks who was himself the 20th pick of the 2014 draft? The last two years he's averaged 1,155 yards and 81 catches. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just wondering if I'm I missing something?
I see exactly what's going on here. The fact of the matter is that as Brady is getting older he may benefit from having better weapons to throw to than a Lacrosse player, a 7th round pick and a monster of a tight end that's usually on the sidelines by the time the big games roll around. I'm deliberately selling Edelman short here, I know, but as the years start to catch up on TB12, he's going to need more from his receivers, so getting top talents at wideout becomes more important as Brady grows his gray hair collection

you also do have to think about starting to collect the kind of talent that the next guy can throw to. Right now the next guy is Garoppolo, but with the trade rumors around, Brissett and his less accurate arm starts to look a bit more heir-apparent-y. And he just doesn't have the quick accurate arm for inside route throwing that made Brady what he is. Meaning he's going to need the best possible players on the outside to make plays happen with his arm.

Brissett is built around a powerful arm with good-not-great accuracy, buying time for deep plays with his feet and running if too few defenders are in front of him, having players around that are designed for that style of quarterback as we get into the last years of Brady and trade talks heat up for Garoppolo makes perfect sense.

I certainly don't doubt the interest, even with an impending contact. I do, however, doubt the compensation. That part of the story only seems to exist to drive up what the Saints get in return.

Do we have to make a move at WR this year - maybe not, though another deep threat at WR would not hurt versus press coverage. But in 2-3 years, we certainly will - and addressing it now might be very smart.

Little bit concerned by rumors about Amendola's health, and getting a top wideout would make life easier for Brady as he loses a bit of zip on his short passes, so I can definitely see why the Pats are doing this.

Little bit concerned by rumors about Amendola's health, and getting a top wideout would make life easier for Brady as he loses a bit of zip on his short passes, so I can definitely see why the Pats are doing this.

I haven't heard anything about Amendola's health - what are you referring to?

This all sounds great except when you think about what you have to give up. You give up the best chance the Pats have to get a quality LB, DE, or DT prospect. Edelman may be entering his 30's, but he is still here and likely to be a quality WR for a year or two more.

WR might be the LEAST most critical need for the Pats this off season. #32 might not get you an elite prospect, but it can get you a good one, some one with more long term value than a 2 year (at most) rental.
at #32 ? your going to get a kick ass LB, DE, or DT instead of one of the best proven WRs in the NFL ? Look , I dont really want this trade anymore but seems like a steal to me, Im starting to think.

Except tbe Saints turned it down so we need to sweeten the pot.
In my opinion you give em a 1st and conditional third or fourth next season.

I haven't heard anything about Amendola's health - what are you referring to?
It formed part of the argument as to why he should take a paycut. I mean if it's not a concern at all that'd be great, but then we should probably just pay the man.

It formed part of the argument as to why he should take a paycut. I mean if it's not a concern at all that'd be great, but then we should probably just pay the man.

I figured he had to take a pay cut because #4 WRs don't make 7 million+...period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes