PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats host Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know poison pills are forbidden now, such as giving a prohibitive raise for more than 3 games played in Buffalo in a season that the Bills couldn't avoid and Pats couldn't do, but is it ok if they have a clause related to missing the playoffs? It's unlikely the Pats miss it or Bills make it but isn't impossible in either scenario.

That's not a bad idea, you sneaky bastard. :)

I mean you can't put a Miss the Playoffs penalty in there, but you could put in a pretty sizable bonus for making the playoffs which obviously he's almost guaranteed to hit with NE, and, well, not so much with the Bills. Don't know how much incentive there is for the player though.

5.7 YPC on 101 carries for a team without a passing game...those are numbers that should garner some attention. Just the 1 fumble on his 110 total touches as well.

He would work well on the Pats because he isn't going to see anywhere near the same kind of stacked boxes he would playing for the Bills.

Actually, 2 fumbles in his last 164 touches = 1/82. Ridley was 1/80.

OTOH, Burkhead had 2 fumbles in his last 113 touches.

i wonder if this is about this year, or just preparation/diligence for next offseason when he would be a UFA

i wonder if this is about this year, or just preparation/diligence for next offseason when he would be a UFA

I kinda think its both.

White, DLew, Burk, DJ, Bolden are all UFAs next year.

If they give up a 5th (or trade a 4th and guarantee they get him) I'm assuming he'll be here for more than one year.

Gillislee and Williams are both RFA (as yet unsigned) who could be UFA in 2018. If the Pats don't move on either this season, these visits could be considered early interviews for the 2018 FA period.

Williams has been more a special teamer for the Phins than RB ... 318 offensive snaps generated about 120 touches (and 3 fumbles) over the past two seasons, versus about 600 ST snaps. He was a UDFA and given an original-round tender, so it would cost the Pats no picks to make him an offer (if the Phins refused to match).

WRT Gillislee's 5th-round tender ... If the Pats made a serious offer, it might indicate a number of things:
... that they've given up hope of re-signing LG
... that they're really not sure about re-signing any of Burkhead, White or Lewis in 2018
... that they aren't sure they'll be able to do significantly better for 2018 in this draft, given the picks they currently possess
... that they'd prefer to be able to use their current picks on a position other than RB in this draft (and signing Gillislee would make that strategy possible)

That's not a bad idea, you sneaky bastard. :)

I mean you can't put a Miss the Playoffs penalty in there, but you could put in a pretty sizable bonus for making the playoffs which obviously he's almost guaranteed to hit with NE, and, well, not so much with the Bills. Don't know how much incentive there is for the player though.
If the Patriots drafted an offer sheet with that in there, then it would be a poison pill where you poison yourself and not the other team.

The closest I can think of a present day poison pill would be in how the payouts are structured. For example, if you have a lot of cap space you can offer a large (guaranteed) year 1 salary and no signing bonus. That *might* hurt the other team to the point where they couldn't match.

If the Patriots drafted an offer sheet with that in there, then it would be a poison pill where you poison yourself and not the other team.

The closest I can think of a present day poison pill would be in how the payouts are structured. For example, if you have a lot of cap space you can offer a large (guaranteed) year 1 salary and no signing bonus. That *might* hurt the other team to the point where they couldn't match.

That's funny. Oh no! What have we done, we've poisoned ourselvesssseesss... oo nooo.

You're right though. It'd have to be something like: "if we suck and the team doesn't make the playoffs, here's a 3m bonus, nice job buddy!"

My guess Bills wont get embarassed twice
They match

Well, the Bills are 9.4M under the salary cap. At this point, all we'd have to do is frontloading his contrat, i.e. 9.400.001 $ in 2017 and the vet minimum for the next 9 or 10 years. And then, we could give one year vet min to Revis who's already payed by East Rutherford Retirement Fund no matter what.

Well, the Bills are 9.4M under the salary cap. At this point, all we'd have to do is frontloading his contrat, i.e. 9.400.001 $ in 2017 and the vet minimum for the next 9 or 10 years. And then, we could give one year vet min to Revis who's already payed by East Rutherford Retirement Fund no matter what.

Agreed, just front load the contract. But it'd have to be a pretty big chunk change to effectively block BUF. It's a question of how much they like him as a player. If he's a 3 yr, 3-4 down guy, you could probably make it work. 4.5M/1M/1M or something for example might preclude BUF from matching.

Highlights

A slightly smaller version of Blunt. Good pop. Whallops Collins for a tTD at 0:44. He really hits the hole fast on the goal line. Nice vision, juke, patience too. I'm told he plays special teams too? Sign the beast!

Last edited:
Agreed, just front load the contract. But it'd have to be a pretty big chunk change to effectively block BUF. It's a question of how much they like him as a player. If he's a 3 yr, 3-4 down guy, you could probably make it work. 4.5M/1M/1M or something for example might preclude BUF from matching.

Highlights

A slightly smaller version of Blunt. Good pop. Whallops Collins for a tTD at 0:44. He really hits the hole fast on the goal line. Nice vision, juke, patience too. I'm told he plays special teams too? Sign the beast!

Based on his production as a runner and his play on ST you could easily justify playing him the same money they doled out to Burkhead

I just don't see where the fit is now we have Burkhead, i would of thought it was an either or for those 2 guys.

Did I say that? haha, I've been taken out of context. By they, I meant NE. But yes how much BUF values him as well is important too. Good point.

Highlights

Great post, I thought your $$ numbers sounded promising, and thanks for the highlights, he looks like he would be a great pickup.

However, at the risk of being a nit-picker I don't think he looks much like Blount at all. Blount is a powerful, gigantic (250 lb) back with very good top speed who can be a terror to defensive backs if he breaks through the line and gets a head of steam up, especially if the defense is tired. However (as Deus has pointed out, to give credit), like almost all super-big backs (except a few hall-of-famers), he isn't particularly quick and it takes him time to get up a head of steam, so he can lose yardage or get stood up at a the line of scrimmage more often than you would think. In contrast, it looks like Gillislee is much quicker and he seems to be able to burrow under the defensive linemen effectively. I think that Gillislee might actually be a more effective short yardage back, although he probably wouldn't have Blount's ability to terrorize tired defensive backs. This shrewd analysis is based on me watching your Youtube video highlights. :D

Does anyone else (perhaps someone in New York) have a better analysis of Gillislee?

Great post, I thought your $$ numbers sounded promising, and thanks for the highlights, he looks like he would be a great pickup.

However, at the risk of being a nit-picker I don't think he looks much like Blount at all. Blount is a powerful, gigantic (250 lb) back with very good top speed who can be a terror to defensive backs if he breaks through the line and gets a head of steam up, especially if the defense is tired. However (as Deus has pointed out, to give credit), like almost all super-big backs (except a few hall-of-famers), he isn't particularly quick and it takes him time to get up a head of steam, so he can lose yardage or get stood up at a the line of scrimmage more often than you would think. In contrast, it looks like Gillislee is much quicker and he seems to be able to burrow under the defensive linemen effectively. I think that Gillislee might actually be a more effective short yardage back, although he probably wouldn't have Blount's ability to terrorize tired defensive backs. This shrewd analysis is based on me watching your Youtube video highlights. :D

Does anyone else (perhaps someone in New York) have a better analysis of Gillislee?

Yes I agree with that, in effort of brevity I also meant smaller version possessor of Blount-like capabilities of RB duties. Esp. Goal-line.

I have been wondering why BB hadn't brought this kid in sooner but I think he genuinely wants LG back so he has been holding off.

Actually this week is a perfect time to concentrate on RFAs - a week before tender signing deadline and two weeks before the draft.

Expect more UFA activity to resume after draft - first with released FA's that don't count against comp picks and after May 10th deadline with the rest of UFA's when everyone becomes street FA and doesn't count against comp pick equation.
___

And just to clarify which 5th rounder would go to Buffalo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back