PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats host Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite Gator running backs ever.

Not the fastest guy, but has a knack for turning the corner.

Not the biggest guy, but grinds out tough yards and knows where the sticks are. (See LSU and Florida State games in 2012.)

He can block, he can catch, he's smart, he's a leader, he'll do absolutely anything the coaches ask... he's basically a prototypical Patriot.

This is the move like the Hogan move last year. Not because of the team he plays on but because of the talent. This one is big. I would be pumped if they get this one, good player.

Not the biggest guy, but grinds out tough yards and knows where the sticks are. (See LSU and Florida State games in 2012.)

He can block, he can catch, he's smart, he's a leader, he'll do absolutely anything the coaches ask... he's basically a prototypical Patriot.

Thanks for the inside info, he sounds like a perfect Patriot!

Yup, mine as well. Nothing more I can really add. He doesn't have elite top end but gets up to his top speed quickly and as mentioned he's got surprise toughness, carries his pad level well, etc

Blount is slow to hit the line. He's good at carrying / bulldozing the D. Gillislee is quicker to get going. He's a very good runner. I'd love to see us sign him. A 5th rounder for a quality RB is a good deal.

Do the Patriots have ANY RBs signed after this coming season?

Just looked it up...no. That's weird.

Seeing them go after Gillislee now, if they do, might be an indication that they were planning this all along and Burkhead was an insurance policy. Is this the guy they really wanted? Is he better than Burkhead?

Actually this week is a perfect time to concentrate on RFAs - a week before tender signing deadline and two weeks before the draft.

Expect more UFA activity to resume after draft - first with released FA's that don't count against comp picks and after May 10th deadline with the rest of UFA's when everyone becomes street FA and doesn't count against comp pick equation.
___

And just to clarify which 5th rounder would go to Buffalo:

I believe they could give either pick as both are better than original

I wonder how much of his YPC is due to the spread/option offense Buffalo runs. Would he be as good in the Patriots offense (i.e. running from the I with no concern about TB running)

Er r I
I wonder how much of his YPC is due to the spread/option offense Buffalo runs. Would he be as good in the Patriots offense (i.e. running from the I with no concern about TB running)
Makes sense, but keep in mind; when ANY defense has to account for Gronk, Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Allen, Mitchell, Lewis, Burkmeister, White, Dola etc it will open things up for Gillislee (granted all these guys won't be on the field at the same time, but you get the point). He'll fit perfectly in the offense.

Er r I

Makes sense, but keep in mind; when ANY defense has to account for Gronk, Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Allen, Mitchell, Lewis, Burkmeister, White, Dola etc it will open things up for Gillislee (granted all these guys won't be on the field at the same time, but you get the point). He'll fit perfectly in the offense.

No, I don't get the point. A team has to account for the RB who is on the field.

The open question is whether this player is an upgrade to Blount.

No, I don't get the point. A team has to account for the RB who is on the field.

They have to account for him but with less bodies in the box because of the recieving options that are on the field, which should make it easier to run the ball.

Then you don't understand football. Blount is a decent player, but is a by-product of the system. Brady is our QB, so that AUTOMATICALLY opens things up for Blount. When you add the other weapons that I already listed, a defense cannot zero in on Blount (why would they). You HAVE to account for Gronk, Edelman, Cooks etc. Also, when Blount is on the field it's almost certain that it's a run play because he's not a great pass catcher.

Players like Gillislee, Burkhead, Lewis & White give the offense more versatility, so I'll take players like that over Blount any day. No disrespect to Blount; I like him, but he's dispensable in this offense. It's already been proven that Gillislee can run between the tackles effectively & catch passes out of the backfield.

GET THE POINT NOW?!

I mean you can't put a Miss the Playoffs penalty in there, but you could put in a pretty sizable bonus for making the playoffs which obviously he's almost guaranteed to hit with NE, and, well, not so much with the Bills. Don't know how much incentive there is for the player though.

That's the wrong way around - makes the deal more expensive for NE and cheaper for the Bills to match. The player here has no say. The original idea of a "miss the playoffs" bonus would work though, but I doubt it is permitted.

I know poison pills are forbidden now, such as giving a prohibitive raise for more than 3 games played in Buffalo in a season that the Bills couldn't avoid and Pats couldn't do, but is it ok if they have a clause related to missing the playoffs? It's unlikely the Pats miss it or Bills make it but isn't impossible in either scenario.

I actually think they could do this.

Here's the language of the CBA:

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

So in theory at least the Pats could add a clause offering a RFA say a $2m bonus if the team misses the playoffs. I would say that was legal but on the edge of being inappropriate, so I kind of doubt if they would do it.

We don't need no more rb's. We don't even need the ones we've got, except for one.

Burkhead. He's white, he's intense, he's got a baby. Let's not be greedy.

Hmm..?

Not saying I agree, but interesting. Also, only BB knows how BB will BB.

His value has never been higher you can get a third you do it

I actually think they could do this.

Here's the language of the CBA:

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

So in theory at least the Pats could add a clause offering a RFA say a $2m bonus if the team misses the playoffs. I would say that was legal but on the edge of being inappropriate, so I kind of doubt if they would do it.

Kraft gave an extra seventh for Welker just to avoid hard feelings, so I highly doubt he'd do something as ruthless as that. I just was curious if it was possible. Thanks for finding that.

Last edited:
So, the Bills only tendered him as a 5th round pick? They really don't know how to do this stuff, do they? Assuming they want to keep him long term, haven't they put themselves in the position of having his price jacked up, or losing him for a 5th?

Wouldn't they have been better to tender him a bit higher $$ and make opposing teams actually worry about the draft pick compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back