PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Fins Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah looking at the plays made me question Lazar's analysis more than anything else
Yea like I said to luuked I kinda see the first one but both are tough plays. I can't get after Cam for those. Resetting the pocket & getting your lower half right for those would have cost more time as well.

On a re-watch, does that Dolphins pick play about a minute & a half before halftime look any better? I was pretty surprised that there was no flag there.
I watched the game at a bar without the sound so I don't know if Nance or Romo mentioned it because there was Never a replay shown of it either...
But I saw it as soon as it happened and pointed it out immediately...sure looked like OPI to me...

Poor attempt by DMac...He should've wrapped up the man and waited for the help to finish it...
Agree, but also the other guy gets paid to make the first guy miss too. Sometimes the other guy wins.

This clip starts too early for us to know what Cam did pre-snap, but he should have had identified the free defender and know there would be an open release on the other side (Michel). But this sort of miss is what we were going to expect in the early weeks- hiccups like this will happen again, Just hope they get worked out by the quarter mark of the season. If not, well- that's Cam's ceiling.

I rewatched the game last night. The game was closer than it seemed. 3 point game deep in the 4th quarter. Fitzy's last pick probably should have been a DPI instead, with them getting the ball on the 1 and able to punch it in. That would have put it back to a 3 point game so not a win, but still a closer game than it appeared. Parker made a lot of plays in the 1st half, but went out injured so Fitzy lost his best WR for half the game. Cam also worked the refs for a roughing call that probably wasn't roughing. Our running game looked good but this was against MIA. SEA will be more of a test.

I will say Harry had a better game than I thought, and played tougher than I thought. It's hard to explain the fumble though. The DB has grabbed him, but it doesn't look like the DB forced the ball out. It looks like he may have been shifting the ball from hand to hand at a bad time and just lost control of it. The fumble through the end zone rule is bad. Basically it assumes the defense caused the fumble and would have recovered which is far from a given. I'd rather see the offense get the ball on the 20. It punishes the offense for the mistake and gives the defense a chance to make a stand.

My concern is still that Cam is risking injury by running as much as he does. He seemed to be cautious early and slide before being hit, but as the game wore on he was OK with full contact. Hey, he knows himself better than I do so I should just say if he's comfortable then I should be too, but man, all it takes is one bad slide or one guy he doesn't see to wipe him out and out trots Hoyer or Stidham. I think his throws were strong. I'm sure JE11 wants that first one back.

Re: DPI: It seems DBs are being coached to constrain or hold the WR's interior arm. It makes it hard for the refs to see holding in real time, and it often looks like incidental contact when it probably is something being coached. In an ideal world I'd rather see less of this so I'd like more DPIs to be reviewed, yet since our team seems to be good at it and has better DBs then WRs I'm OK with things as they are.

This clip starts too early for us to know what Cam did pre-snap, but he should have had identified the free defender and know there would be an open release on the other side (Michel). But this sort of miss is what we were going to expect in the early weeks- hiccups like this will happen again, Just hope they get worked out by the quarter mark of the season. If not, well- that's Cam's ceiling.

For a 10th year veteran, that's something you just take as one of his weaknesses.

>>Pistol formations would open a whole new world for the Patriots run game.

That's what I predict will show up at some point in the season. Cam used it quite a bit earlier in his career.

The version with two RBs is interesting. QB can hand-off or pitch to either back on either side of the formation, or keep the ball. And the backs can simply pass-protect too.

For a 10th year veteran, that's something you just take as one of his weaknesses.

Because of one play, in his first game, with no camp or preseason means he cAnt do what he has been doing for 10 years. And doing it well. That’s just another preconceived narrative that will be proven wrong. Like many others have been already.

Because of one play, in his first game, with no camp or preseason means he cAnt do what he has been doing for 10 years. And doing it well. That’s just another preconceived narrative that will be proven wrong. Like many others have been already.

I'm honestly unaware that he's been known for his expertise reading defenses. If that's the case and he's been awesome at it for 10 years, then cool. It just doesn't seem to be something you'd forget how to do when joining a new team.

Also I'm not talking one play. There were at least a handful pointed out by the live broadcast team and others afterwards during film analysis.

Look, I can root for a guy and still kinda see what he's good at and what he's not as good at. Did it with Brady, Jules, Faulk, Troy Brown, Bruschi, Harrison, and many others. None were perfect but the positives far outweighed any deficiencies. Same deal with Cam.

New team, new coach, new playbook, new everything- I think when you have so many new changes, you're bound to have hiccups and whiff completely at even the simplest read, or overlook matching up a defender.

I think the quarter mark of the season is when we're going to see what we are really getting from Cam.

Missed this last week. The Football Outsiders' Word of Muth column covered the Pats/Dolphins game with detailed breakdowns about blocking schemes. He came away impressed by the whole unit, with interesting praise for the two potential weak links in Elemenour and Izzo.

The Patriots will be one of the three teams Muth covers all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News