PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Fins Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'm happy is the low snap count overall, it's gonna keep the team fresh. Brady snap counts were very high (but we won a lot so obviously it wasn't an issue).

The encouraging thing is that from what you have posted here and all the other stuff available online it looks like that there are plays waiting to be had. Lazar pointed to two open Byrd plays, I think Chatham mentioned that Jakob Johnson was a couple times completely open and there is this Michel play.

Obviously, Cam won't be a presnap supercomputer that will get the team out of bad plays, adjust protections almost perfectly and have total mastery of the offense like Brady did but if after the BYE 20-30% of the plays the we left on the field go a different way this would already increase our margin of error significantly. And if that progress holds up over the season we could look pretty damn solid in Nov/Dec/Jan.

The encouraging thing is that from what you have posted here and all the other stuff available online it looks like that there are plays waiting to be had. Lazar pointed to two open Byrd plays, I think Chatham mentioned that Jakob Johnson was a couple times completely open and there is this Michel play.

Obviously, Cam won't be a presnap supercomputer that will get the team out of bad plays, adjust protections almost perfectly and have total mastery of the offense like Brady did but if after the BYE 20-30% of the plays the we left on the field go a different way this would already increase our margin of error significantly. And if that progress holds up over the season we could look pretty damn solid in Nov/Dec/Jan.

This one right here. I can see but really tough throw imo bc he has to go left while Byrd is coming opposite side of the field.
Pretty clean pocket. Maybe could have slide, slide & bounce back to create a new little pocket. That's a lot of footwork, getting your body set to make that throw but I kinda see it.

This is the "doughboy" play where he alerts Harry presnap. I heard it live for sure. If someone has it on DVR it's definitely there. Maybe he was going Harry, coverage was tight and felt that rusher coming? Just played it safe with all room to run.

What was encouraging for me was he looked on target on almost every throw he got off. All accurate, leading the WR/leverage like on Izzo. Tucking it away for 11.

Couple batted passes. 2 sacks. I'd give him a B-/B with all things considering.

Yes agree. Chung played an instrumental role being able to stop the run as a linebacker but also adequately cover TEs well enough to win 3 Superbowls. I feel pretty excited about Philips. So if Philips does this, does JoeJuan have a role ? He played well too but the secondary is just too loaded.
He can be given all of the snaps that Bill was ever considering giving to Brooks, for starters...

He made 2-3 really big plays.

Having a guy like him really helps with personnel/scheme when it comes to teams like Sea, Balt, KC. Hopefully those big plays keep coming.

Duggar is the same type? We need both for mobile QBs, especially with multiple TE sets?

Last edited:
Yes agree. Chung played an instrumental role being able to stop the run as a linebacker but also adequately cover TEs well enough to win 3 Superbowls. I feel pretty excited about Philips. So if Philips does this, does JoeJuan have a role ? He played well too but the secondary is just too loaded.

They were playing with 6 db's often against the Dolphins. Even in some 3rd and short situations.

Here's my recollection of events that may not be entirely accurate after rewatching the game:
JoeJuan came in during 7 DB packages covering Gesicki.
Brooks looked like he played the traditional(non-LB) Chung role at strong safety.
Philips was playing LB most of the game except one or two snaps very early in the game where he played safety. Did this have anything to do with Copeland ending up on the injury list with a knee for the Seahawks game? We didn't see him much in the game.
Dugger if I remember correctly also played the strong safety role the few snaps he played in?
JJ played the free safety role a few times when they had DMac come down covering somebody but most of the time JJ was playing corner
DMac played free safety except the few times mentioned above.
JMac played corner 95% of the game. Someone had mentioned JMac playing free safety but he only played that for a snap or two late in the game when they had 3 guys deep in a prevent defense.
Gilmore played corner, his 1st DPI was very close but a fair call but hard to tell. The 2nd DPI was BS. Gilmore was breaking for the ball and the receiver pushed off and hit Gilmore's helmet who lost balance and tripped the receiver. Should have been OPI or offsetting penalties and replay the down.

Later in the game Winovich almost had the snap count figured but he was a little too early so he had to stop. I hope he keeps improving on that so he can get a super launch off the corner. Wino was in the 0 or 1 technique during the goal line defense.

I miss Gronk and Develin. They block better than Izzo and Jakob Johnson. Sony had a good chance to get a 10-20 yard run if Izzo didn't get pushed back by the end. Gronk holds the end on that play in my opinion but there's a lot worse out there than Izzo's blocking. Johnson at least tries to block like a fullback(where so many "fullbacks" in the league blocks like an RB) but he's not as effective as Develin.
McDaniels called a good game, two or three times there were big holes for some big runs if one guy had just handled his guy. I guess you have to credit Miami on that.

That's all I got. I reserve the right to be mistaken on what I remember.

Last edited:

There are a number of teams that have two really good TEs.. Having 2 guys who can cover like that isn't a bad thing. Especially if you're facing a combination like Gronk / Howard or Dissly/Olsen.

Duggar is the same type? We need both for mobile QBs, especially with multiple TE sets?

Dugger is more a Rodney Harrison all-around type. I feel Dugger will be taking over for McCourty and bringing the Harrison type of attitude but with the McCourty ability.. but that's just me..

@BaconGrundleCandy , thanks for continuing the rewatch threads.

I mentioned the other day that McD had to anticipate that Flores would know that McD was going to borrow some elements from the Carolina playbook, and did enough pre-snap motion to disguise, just enough to make the Miami D play on its heels.

I anticipate the same for Seattle, where Cam basically runs the same package, the same reads, but the pre-snaps are once again different. This serves the dual purpose of not stressing Cam too much as far as the playbook, yet keeps the defense honest.

Yeah I thought Onemenu acquitted himself well, except for one play I remember when he over-shot his block while pulling on a right-moving sweep (L > R on the tv)...just couldn't stop his freight train of momentum...And it had been discussed in the draft forum that he certainly has the hand size & arm length for RT, with basically the same height as Wynn & Eluemunor...

On a re-watch, does that Dolphins pick play about a minute & a half before halftime look any better? I was pretty surprised that there was no flag there.

Yea weird player. Played & test well enough that you could put him in space back there but plays with enough physicality and discipline to bring him up front or underneath.

Someone mentioned Harrison. Similar skill-set in that regard.

Unfortunately Evan Lazar has taken Cam's superman nickname literally. He'd get clobbered if he tried to throw it.
It would have been a tough pass. Pocket is pretty clean. You'd need to reset as close to original pocket as possible so Cam isn't throwing across his body. Cam scrambles to the left, he'd have to rework so again he has a line to Byrd instead of a cross body pass.

This one is is tough or maybe tougher to complete. Not much room for Cam to step up. Looks like you'd want to lead your WR up, towards the post which it looks like hes running but Byrd is tracking into a double on the left side if that man peels off coverage. And he would have had plenty of time to in this case.

Yea those are tough passes to lay on Cam. A lot would have had to go right. Like in the second here underneath here. He probably went down "too soon" but going to his right there's not a lot of safe options at that point so again tough to criticize those one.

@BaconGrundleCandy , thanks for continuing the rewatch threads.

I mentioned the other day that McD had to anticipate that Flores would know that McD was going to borrow some elements from the Carolina playbook, and did enough pre-snap motion to disguise, just enough to make the Miami D play on its heels.

I anticipate the same for Seattle, where Cam basically runs the same package, the same reads, but the pre-snaps are once again different. This serves the dual purpose of not stressing Cam too much as far as the playbook, yet keeps the defense honest.
Yea we used motion a lot last year and you knew we were going to do the same. That's almost the easy part, dressing it up. So I expect and hope we do that all year. Not just dressing it up but playing off it like KC, SF. Go faster, slow it down with guys into/coming out the backfield, option, bubble/screens to the flat.

I think we'll be up there at the top with motion.

Yeah I thought Onemenu acquitted himself well, except for one play I remember when he over-shot his block while pulling on a right-moving sweep (L > R on the tv)...just couldn't stop his freight train of momentum...And it had been discussed in the draft forum that he certainly has the hand size & arm length for RT, with basically the same height as Wynn & Eluemunor...
I imagine they have a plan like that. Get in, where you fit for now and work off that. Between multiple packages and injuries I'm sure he'll get a few more reps as the year goes on.

It would have been a tough pass. Pocket is pretty clean. You'd need to reset as close to original pocket as possible so Cam isn't throwing across his body. Cam scrambles to the left, he'd have to rework so again he has a line to Byrd instead of a cross body pass.

This one is is tough or maybe tougher to complete. Not much room for Cam to step up. Looks like you'd want to lead your WR up, towards the post which it looks like hes running but Byrd is tracking into a double on the left side if that man peels off coverage. And he would have had plenty of time to in this case.

Yea those are tough passes to lay on Cam. A lot would have had to go right. Like in the second here underneath here. He probably went down "too soon" but going to his right there's not a lot of safe options at that point so again tough to criticize those one.

Yeah looking at the plays made me question Lazar's analysis more than anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back