PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Explore trading Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The first ive heard of this, has it already been posted?

Report: Patriots engaged in trade talks involving CB Stephon Gilmore

The New England Patriots engaged in trade talks involving cornerback Stephon Gilmore during the 2020 offseason, according to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.

Gilmore received a $5 million raise on Friday, according to multiple reports. He also took an excused absence for three days during training camp, which the cornerback chalked up to “personal reasons.”

I believe I read this story earlier today, as I understand it they were exploring trading him back when they were very tight against the cap. Obviously things changed quite a bit since then. He did have multiple days in a row missed during camp for "personal reasons" which I didn't worry about but obviously in retrospect could've been something. But clearly it is water under the bridge for now since he just got a nice raise. Have to wonder if maybe he was a bit discontent but not being vocal about it and the team just took care of him.

Sell high, buy low.

I don't see the harm in seeing if another team is willing to give up a king's ransom. Worked wonders years ago for Dallas when the Cowboys traded Herschel Walker to Minnesota, as well as for Washington in the trade Mike Ditka made so the Saints could draft Ricky Williams.

a story Breer could have broken when it occurred...instead he waited to get the "look at me!!' reaction in the press...never liked the entitled little punk and nothing has changed

I am by no means hoping Gilmore is moved, but for a big enough haul that includes a real NFL receiver I'd be OK with it.

There may be teams out there believing that they're one good CB away from the Super Bowl. If they want to give up two number 1's like Seattle just did, then he's gone.

Salary cap management is key to success, Bill has been doing that for years.If we can do it to Ty law, why not Gilmore ?

Gilmore right now is one of the best players on this team and still in his prime, but at this point I’d trade him for a solid WR and a high draft pick, look at the Ramsey contract, it’s massive!
I would want someone of equal or higher value.
I wouldn’t get OBJ, he is a diva and has been awful for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes