PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft QB Jimmy Garropolo from Eastern Illinois in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork and gp picks should have been traded for Marquise Lee or Jordan Matthews at least. But Lee is Tory Holt caliber or very close to it.

Could you be a bit more dramatic??:rolleyes:
The Patriots are not done with this draft and they're not done signing free agents.
How about we wait until we see who they draft/sign before shedding tears for poor Tommy.

I'm convinced you're related to
Bridget moynahan, or Bridget herself.(If you are, thought you were smoking in I, robot)

But seriously, Why do you hate Brady so much? It's weird. I actually agree with you, Patriots are a: We not me organization as far as the help specifically for Brady thing goes. But damn bro, he is one of the best QB's in NFL history. Your take regarding him is a tad bizarre to put it mildly.

I disagree completely. Jarvis Landry, WR from LSU might've received some major time on the field depending on Dobson's and Boyce's health. Then in the 3rd round, C.J. Fiedorowicz automatically becomes our best TE not named Gronk. Richard Rodgers and Crocket Gilmore were 2 more TEs that automatically become our 2nd best TE on the team, but totally ignored in the 3rd round by trading that pick. In fact taking CJ in the 2nd and Gilmore in the 3rd, our TE position goes from a weakness to a strength, and if Gronk misses some time or gets hurt again, those guys sure as help help us win NOW !! I can name a lot of people we passed up by picking JG and by NOT using their 3rd round pick that would have helped this team win NOW. Not even mentioning that 3rd round pick could have been used as a tool to trade UP to pick a stud prospect higher in the 2nd round to help the team win NOW.

What a drafter!?! They could all gather and visit Tom Brady in the hospital while he is in traction.

THE most important job was to get Brady some pass protection up the middle.

If you don't see that, you need to confine yourself to fantasy football.

What a drafter!?! They could all gather and visit Tom Brady in the hospital while he is in traction.

THE most important job was to get Brady some pass protection up the middle.

If you don't see that, you need to confine yourself to fantasy football.

I think there is a high percentage of posters here who think that they somehow know more about the reported 10,000 pages of information that Belichick had to go through in the scouting process leading up to the draft.

It's one thing to question some of his moves, or admit that he's made some big mistakes--as just about all fans do. It's something else entirely to be suggesting specific, multiple players who should've definitely been drafted instead. The truth is that we honestly have no idea whatsoever.

I don't agree with all of the draft picks at all either, but I do appreciate the fact that the front office is attempting to stay as competitive as possible, while also preparing for the future.

Last edited:
Heres my answer to multiple replies like yours....If the pats continually draft for the future they will remain a very good to excellent team that will win 12+ games a year and continue to go to the playoffs just like they have been for the last Ten years. But just like the last ten years they'll make it deep into the playoffs but won't have quite enough to get a ring. Its great fun watching the team win that many games a year, but i want what the players want...more Rings.

Some things to consider are the poor injury and bad luck situations that we've run into. Hell, even the wind and the weather played a role in the 2012 AFCCG as we marched into what would normally have been FG range SEVEN times--not that I'm meaning to make up excuses as much as it probably sounds.

The 2013 team went extremely far with a MacGyver system of super glue and rubber bands, so that alone may suggest that we're not quite as far away as some seem to think.

Look at the Bruins situation from this postseason. They hit the post/crossbar 13-14x in the series, had some bad calls etc. Does that mean that their team that won the President's trophy is really not going to be extremely competitive again next year as well? Or should they go out and overspend on a bunch of high priced free agents etc? One season's team may be able to go all the way under different circumstances. You need luck, health, and good breaks to win a championship.

I agree with your concerns that we need to build as strong of a team as possible, so that they are able to overcome any and all situations. That unfortunately, is much harder than it seems. It would be nice to get some breaks that we could take advantage of as well, such as the missed FG in the 2011 AFCCG vs BAL. I still think that we should've won one of those two SB losses vs the NYG, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Why is bill just now seeing his guard and center r below average. He has been running with them losers for several seasons and neglected to address it. Tell u y, he would rather run with below average lineman than take the time to coach up talent into his blocking schemes. History has proven he would rather throw a bucket of old rusty bolts on the field that already can run his plays than draft a talent and take the time to coach him up.
B4 mayo he never drafted a lb higher than the fifth rd. He kept calling 40+ yr old Seau out of retirement cuz he had no other options at lb and begged 37 yr old stroke survivor Bruschi to not retire and play another season. Cuz he didn't wanna take the time to draft and coach talent. Then in 2008 he over drafted Mayo because he was the only competent lb in the draft and bill was out of options at lb. Mayo was a good lb but never the impact explosive lb top 10 pick lb's r supposed to be. Mayo redefined the word need. Although a good lb he was never a game changer. He played in nearly 40 games b4 collecting a sack or int. Then in 2011 bill ignored pass rush in a draft rich in them. Instead he waits til 2012 when he was out of options to finally trade up for a good passrusher in Jones but Jones is not nearly the caliber passrusher of the 2011 dudes. Aldon,watt,Quinn,miller,Houston. Jones is decent but not in the league of those explosive impact rushers. Bills love of role players and guys he felt knew some plays similar to his system already to throw on the field were more important than addressing glaring holes at passrushers and wr's who can win and impact a game. Very primitive thinking in today's passing league. Other than qb nothing impacts the passing game more than passrushers and WR's. Its not like bill ignored it in favor of best player in draft. He ignored it for reaches who were busts, role players like back up qb's and part time rb's and players from particular schools and coaches who were partially already coached up on plays in schemes similar to his but the players lacking the skills and talent to play in the NFL. Like Cunningham,Wheatley,tavon,Harmon,meriweather,spikes,hightower,Chung,brace,price,Tate,Butler,crable etc. This doesn't even include all his early round busts just the ones where he ignored a players physical talent/skills in favor of how coached up they were in plays/schemes related to his just to fill a role. All while ignoring future pro bowl talent in important positions of need like #1 complete wr's and passrushers. What makes all those early round busts hurt so much is all the future bro bowlers passed by and ignored. And if interior online is a priority why wasn't a top talent selected instead of a backup qb role player.
He mentioned the colts 2-14 season. That wasn't the result of a decent backup being lacked. It was the result of a below average roster,online and defense, being carried by an all time great qb masking the online and other weaknesses. Sound familiar? I think Grappolo can maybe throw for 4000 yards 30 TDs after couple yrs of development behind Brady as long as he has good quality talented playmakers around him behind a talented online that can block talented pass rushing dt's and edge rushers man on man. However no backup or starter around this league could flourish and carry our offense like Brady does. With edelman as the most productive so called #1 wr. And an interior online not capable of blocking dlineman one on one. Last seasons offense clearly lacked a complete #1 wide out just for starters. They added Carolina castaway lafell and fans r excited. Will the offense b any better. Lafell isn't that big nor that fast with average separation quickness as a route runner. Carolina made minimal effort to bring him back. Instead they see the need to upgrade than resign him and not improve. Edelman resigned is a step backward unless he is counted on to be nothing more than a slot#3 we option. Him as the most productive wr playmaker wasn't nearly enough to win a championship. Couldn't beat the broncos much less hawks or miners. He needs to be upgraded over not resigned. That's not improving the team. The worst part is our competition is improving. Broncos,sf,Seattle,even division rivals. Even bills former players like bruschi and our former fullback are saying our competitors r getting better while we are not,while Brady is a year older. They also hinted at the bad drafts and they wouldn't bet on us to even win the division for sure.
We have an all time greatest qb. It shouldn't be so hard to fill holes at wr and edge rusher. We have the qb set and with the goat qb anything less than a championship trophy is a failure. Bills defense has been at the bottom the last 6 seasons cuz of poor drafting and lacking talent at key positions. Where would bills offense be without Brady. What qb could flourish with edelman as a #1 we.
Team should pursue Andre Johnson. He is used to making mediocre qbs look good and wants a ring. Brady makes sub NFL wr's look good and wants a ring. Sounds like a great marriage. I'm usually not for signing 32/33 yr old wr's. I was against counting on ochocinco cuz I felt he was a shell of chad Johnson at 33 and we were half ***ing adding a #1 wr. However he takes exceptional care of his body. Fanatical like jerry rice. And he is a raw salad and health food fanatic. I bet he runs a sub 4.5 still and at 6"3 220 lbs. He is also detail oriented at the wr craft and a hard worker practicing routes. Factor in Having Brady throwing him passes far superior than any qb he has ever had and he has another 1400 yard 10+ TD season in him. Also he is a great mentor for Dobson whom i feel has a ceiling as a #2 wr but a good #2 wr. Then edelman can man his rightful role as a slot wr and #3 option as a security blanket. Then if Gronk can return 100% and vereen can stay healthy and fulfill his talent as a shady McCoy type runner receiving role our playmaking talent would be as good as anybody's. I think halapio is more athletic than credited and will b better this season when healthy. He could fix our interior online. He has rare explosive torque. If easley doesn't return 100% we may have to trade a high draft pick b4 trade cutoff point. Would be a shame to waste the best secondary we ever had because of an anemic pass rush. I think Browner ends up as super all pro strong safety this season specializing in hog tying pro bowl te's in press and setting physical tone when in zone. That gives both safety positions cornerback cover skills with top safety instincts and physical playmaking skills. Mccourty is bulked up slightly and may overtake earl Thomas as best fs. Browner is 6"3 1/2 223 lb cb/as with best cover skills of any as in the NFL. Then Revis Denard and Ryan at corner. Let's not waste that with an anemic pass rush. Trade a high pick for a fast edge rusher if necessary to complete the defenses dominance to better than super bowl days :)

10000 pages of info. Lmao. How long do u have to watch tape to realize who the talents are. We at the gym get together every weekend for basketball n football games. I make it to bout one football game a month. Some are former all county football and track stars, some r former college players staying in shape for NFL tryouts. Its not hard to see who the top talents r even among former college players post scholarship or the best most accurate qb arms. People let them blow that intangible garbage at u. This guys a leader an example, this guy has speeding tickets and a barfight bla bla bla. Who gives a ****. Like Jim Johnson said as long as he shows for practice, trains hard and plays hard and dominant who cares. At 05 draft smith n Rodgers throw football at 30 foot high tire. Rodgers threw the football right through, smith missed the tire by 4 feet. Who goes #1, smith cuz of leadership and running plays similar to NFL and this bs and that bs. through all the overhyped intangibles they forgot its about throwing a football trying to hit a spot. Draft the slow in athletic choir boy while they draft the moondriver with 6 speeding tickets who plants qbs 20 times a yr and strikes fear in ball carriers or catches 15 TDs and 1500 yards who strikes fear in defenses. They over think this and talk u into it. Take the guy with the high ceiling and do your job as a coach and leader/mentor instead of wasting time writing about a player singing in a Christmas choir as the leader or tudoring other college students in math in spare time. Field leaders will b there through being dominant example. Its football. Find the next guy to sack the qb 150 times not the last guy who already did. I had hot gfs that were hell at times. I deal with it rather than a 200lb chic who cooks for me makes my coffee and waits on me. Cuz she still doesn't cut it.

In your opinion. You really have no idea about those players as rookies in the nfl.

Why is bill just now seeing his guard and center r below average. He has been running with them losers for several seasons and neglected to address it. Tell u y, he would rather run with below average lineman than take the time to coach up talent into his blocking schemes. History has proven he would rather throw a bucket of old rusty bolts on the field that already can run his plays than draft a talent and take the time to coach him up.
B4 mayo he never drafted a lb higher than the fifth rd. He kept calling 40+ yr old Seau out of retirement cuz he had no other options at lb and begged 37 yr old stroke survivor Bruschi to not retire and play another season. Cuz he didn't wanna take the time to draft and coach talent. Then in 2008 he over drafted Mayo because he was the only competent lb in the draft and bill was out of options at lb. Mayo was a good lb but never the impact explosive lb top 10 pick lb's r supposed to be. Mayo redefined the word need. Although a good lb he was never a game changer. He played in nearly 40 games b4 collecting a sack or int. Then in 2011 bill ignored pass rush in a draft rich in them. Instead he waits til 2012 when he was out of options to finally trade up for a good passrusher in Jones but Jones is not nearly the caliber passrusher of the 2011 dudes. Aldon,watt,Quinn,miller,Houston. Jones is decent but not in the league of those explosive impact rushers. Bills love of role players and guys he felt knew some plays similar to his system already to throw on the field were more important than addressing glaring holes at passrushers and wr's who can win and impact a game. Very primitive thinking in today's passing league. Other than qb nothing impacts the passing game more than passrushers and WR's. Its not like bill ignored it in favor of best player in draft. He ignored it for reaches who were busts, role players like back up qb's and part time rb's and players from particular schools and coaches who were partially already coached up on plays in schemes similar to his but the players lacking the skills and talent to play in the NFL. Like Cunningham,Wheatley,tavon,Harmon,meriweather,spikes,hightower,Chung,brace,price,Tate,Butler,crable etc. This doesn't even include all his early round busts just the ones where he ignored a players physical talent/skills in favor of how coached up they were in plays/schemes related to his just to fill a role. All while ignoring future pro bowl talent in important positions of need like #1 complete wr's and passrushers. What makes all those early round busts hurt so much is all the future bro bowlers passed by and ignored. And if interior online is a priority why wasn't a top talent selected instead of a backup qb role player.
He mentioned the colts 2-14 season. That wasn't the result of a decent backup being lacked. It was the result of a below average roster,online and defense, being carried by an all time great qb masking the online and other weaknesses. Sound familiar? I think Grappolo can maybe throw for 4000 yards 30 TDs after couple yrs of development behind Brady as long as he has good quality talented playmakers around him behind a talented online that can block talented pass rushing dt's and edge rushers man on man. However no backup or starter around this league could flourish and carry our offense like Brady does. With edelman as the most productive so called #1 wr. And an interior online not capable of blocking dlineman one on one. Last seasons offense clearly lacked a complete #1 wide out just for starters. They added Carolina castaway lafell and fans r excited. Will the offense b any better. Lafell isn't that big nor that fast with average separation quickness as a route runner. Carolina made minimal effort to bring him back. Instead they see the need to upgrade than resign him and not improve. Edelman resigned is a step backward unless he is counted on to be nothing more than a slot#3 we option. Him as the most productive wr playmaker wasn't nearly enough to win a championship. Couldn't beat the broncos much less hawks or miners. He needs to be upgraded over not resigned. That's not improving the team. The worst part is our competition is improving. Broncos,sf,Seattle,even division rivals. Even bills former players like bruschi and our former fullback are saying our competitors r getting better while we are not,while Brady is a year older. They also hinted at the bad drafts and they wouldn't bet on us to even win the division for sure.
We have an all time greatest qb. It shouldn't be so hard to fill holes at wr and edge rusher. We have the qb set and with the goat qb anything less than a championship trophy is a failure. Bills defense has been at the bottom the last 6 seasons cuz of poor drafting and lacking talent at key positions. Where would bills offense be without Brady. What qb could flourish with edelman as a #1 we.
Team should pursue Andre Johnson. He is used to making mediocre qbs look good and wants a ring. Brady makes sub NFL wr's look good and wants a ring. Sounds like a great marriage. I'm usually not for signing 32/33 yr old wr's. I was against counting on ochocinco cuz I felt he was a shell of chad Johnson at 33 and we were half ***ing adding a #1 wr. However he takes exceptional care of his body. Fanatical like jerry rice. And he is a raw salad and health food fanatic. I bet he runs a sub 4.5 still and at 6"3 220 lbs. He is also detail oriented at the wr craft and a hard worker practicing routes. Factor in Having Brady throwing him passes far superior than any qb he has ever had and he has another 1400 yard 10+ TD season in him. Also he is a great mentor for Dobson whom i feel has a ceiling as a #2 wr but a good #2 wr. Then edelman can man his rightful role as a slot wr and #3 option as a security blanket. Then if Gronk can return 100% and vereen can stay healthy and fulfill his talent as a shady McCoy type runner receiving role our playmaking talent would be as good as anybody's. I think halapio is more athletic than credited and will b better this season when healthy. He could fix our interior online. He has rare explosive torque. If easley doesn't return 100% we may have to trade a high draft pick b4 trade cutoff point. Would be a shame to waste the best secondary we ever had because of an anemic pass rush. I think Browner ends up as super all pro strong safety this season specializing in hog tying pro bowl te's in press and setting physical tone when in zone. That gives both safety positions cornerback cover skills with top safety instincts and physical playmaking skills. Mccourty is bulked up slightly and may overtake earl Thomas as best fs. Browner is 6"3 1/2 223 lb cb/as with best cover skills of any as in the NFL. Then Revis Denard and Ryan at corner. Let's not waste that with an anemic pass rush. Trade a high pick for a fast edge rusher if necessary to complete the defenses dominance to better than super bowl days :)
Your Joycian diatribe (Outstanding reference, goheels) is so incredibly flawed it almost boarders on insanity.

1. That "anemic" pass rush you site, happened to be better than all but 5 other teams in the league in managing sacks (which is how you seem to rate defensive players). And that was despite all the injuries we had back there

2. Once again you make the mistake of assuming that elite WR's are the key to success in the NFL when EVERY piece of evidence that can be brought to the table would seem to dictate otherwise. You also make the mistake of assuming that you personnel draft binkies will automatically become great NFL players when the truth is less than half will end up as starters let alone elite WR's.

3. You also assume that Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce won't improve or progress into great WR's Why? Both Dobson and Boyce had more passing yards than ANY previous rookie WR in the BB era, and that was DESPITE all the injuries and dislocations.

Clearly you are an angry and bitter man, so I'm not going to waste any more time dissecting your rant. I'm glad you had a chance to vent, and hope you field better for it. But the level of ineptitude you ascribe to the Pats FO, doesn't seem to match the reality of the unparallelled success the organization has maintained :rolleyes:

Jimmy G will end up a tremendous pick.

If Polo ends up being the next Patriots starter, the amount of crow people will have to eat will be immense.

My head hurts just looking at this post. You see that "Enter" button on your keyboard? Please use it to start new paragraphs.

Jimmy G will end up a tremendous pick.

I hope he does, but that would mean no more tom brady. I would rather the pats play brady into the ground and then let him retire.

If Polo ends up being the next Patriots starter, the amount of crow people will have to eat will be immense.

What if he becomes nothing special, and they don't win any extra rings for TFB but come close, will there be crow eaten then?

Last edited:
Not really Nun. I think most people's distaste for this pick has nothing to do with Garapollo or his potential. It has a lot more to do with the missed opportunity to choose someone who was a lot more likely to contribute to the success of the team over the next 4 years than Jimmy Garapollo.

All of us are much more interested in THIS year's team than the one that will take the field in 2018. So even if JG actually can overcome the 3 levels of competition, his small hands, and generally inexperience to become the next Pats QB, I will STILL think that it was a mistake to draft him THIS year.

Bottom line - I will always believe that it was at LEAST a year to early to draft a QB, and even if you felt the pressing need to draft one this year, you could have gotten at least as good a prospect later on on in the draft in the 4th, 5th. and 6th rounds.

The only way that I would be happy to "eat crow" would be if Brady's career was suddenly cut short....and JG became a perennial all pro. Then I would gladly eat all the crow you provide. ;)

If he is not the qb, oh well the pats will find out and select another qb high and people will have a fit again.

I am skeptical that a late 2nd round pick will be the guy who puts them over the top. More likely to be a bust.

We all assume the Patriots are going to be a playoff team with a chance to win the SuperBowl with Brady as our QB, correct? That means picking late in each round of the draft as well. So, we don't take Garappolo this year and wait to address QB next year or the year after. Now, Brady is pushing 40, Mallett leaves for a chance to play and that leaves the Patriots with a dire need at the QB position. I have no idea what the QB classes will look like next year or 2 years from now, but I don't want the Patriots to fall into the trap of having to reach for a QB in late rd.1 because they have become desperate. That leads to years of bad football.
I have no idea if Garappolo is the guy. What we do know is that the Patriots obviously liked him enough to not trade out of that pick and not to pick someone else in the 2nd round. They do not just take players to piss off us fans who think they know more than them when it comes to these players. This gives them a window to try and develop him, and if it works, the Patriots are set, if it doesn't it gives them more time before Brady is done to be find another guy and not be forced into playing the wrong guy.

Umm Flacco has an elite accurate arm and warner was surrounded by future hall of famers and pro bowlers. That's hardly the patriot offense. If gp has to play he will b surrounded by an ordinary slot wr as his #1 target who shouldn't be any more than a #3. A Carolina castoff. And a group of wr's thrilled to just b in the NFL. Don't even act like we stole lafell with a briefcase of money. He was cheap and could have easily been resigned but Carolina wanted upgrade their lackluster wr's from ground up. Dobson would have been nothing more than a late fourth this draft. Sometime after Marty Bryant whom I can't believe we passed on for dork. Ben to Bryant is going to haunt us garunteed. We could have traded our third rd pick along with gp pick up to draft Lee or Jordan Matthews. Would u rather have gp and stork or marquise Lee? The missing piece to our offense.
I have hope for go as well. Just odds aren't in our favor there. The key to a thriving offense after Brady isn't reaching for a qb n hope he can carry an offense with below average playmakers like Brady does. That's extremely rare. Key is build an offense with playmakers who can win on all levels of the field, short middle deep with speed,route running, and ball skills in a good system. An online that can dominate or compete with talented pass rushing De's and DT's one on one and create space in the running game. THEN find the young replacement to slide in after Brady retires who can get the ball to the playmakers consistently. Increases the chances of go or any qb thriving. For the record I believe Garappolo could do it with some work with Brady over next 2/3 yes. His arm is a Lil better than credited. With that said now is not the time for go. Good back ups can b had for 6th rd picks in trades or cheap in fa. Former so called busts drafted by terrible teams and expected to be the saviour and carry terrible teams in bad systems make good back ups and or future starters. Notice all young flourishing qbs are on good teams with great systems. Kaepernick,Foles,Wilson. Busts and struggling qbs are expected to carry bad teams. The go and stork picks should have been converted to Marquise Lee.

Stopped reading after "Flacco has an elite accurate arm"

I have no idea if Garappolo is the guy. What we do know is that the Patriots obviously liked him enough to not trade out of that pick and not to pick someone else in the 2nd round. They do not just take players to piss off us fans who think they know more than them when it comes to these players. This gives them a window to try and develop him, and if it works, the Patriots are set, if it doesn't it gives them more time before Brady is done to be find another guy and not be forced into playing the wrong guy.

Agreed. I think people are so spoiled they forget the awful days of Hugh Millen vs Tommy Hodson in training camp. Whichever QB won the job was still terrible. By picking JG a year early, not only does BB ensure the Pats have a backup QB once Mallet leaves, but it gives him an extra year to evaluate if JG can be the guy or if the Pats still need to find a QB of the future to be ready when Brady finally hangs em up.

Let me just repeat this time tested adage: the most important position on the field for a football team is Quarterback.

Obviously, I love Brady as our QB. But if he is our Montana, now is a good time to start searching for our Steve Young.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey