PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots would've taken Blake Bortles over Jimmy Garoppolo if he were available to them (2014 rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

Willie McGinest reported this all the way back in May 2014. I searched the forums to see if it were ever discussed. To my surprise, I couldn't find a thread on the topic. So given that we're facing Bortles and the Jags on Sunday, I figured this might be a relevant time to re-open the conversation.

Given what you've seen, which QB would you rather have chosen?

Last edited:
I heard the same with Cleveland as well though that they would have taken him instead of Manziel.

This thread is puzzling at best ..............

Would have, should have, could have and hindsight. We have JG and I am satisfied with him.

I'm sure CBS will bring this up as Patriots passed on Bortles and now he has a chip on his shoulder.

Bill Polian just came out and said he had high grades on Jerry Rice, Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor

Given what you know now, which QB would you have chosen?

That's really the question of the thread.

Given that Garoppolo hasn't played many downs in anger and Bortles is stuck on a bad team but seems to be improving (unlike, say, Blaine Gabbert), I don't know if you can really answer this.

This thread is puzzling at best ..............

Yeah, this takes the usual "The Patriots should have drafted [PlayerLongGoneByTheirDraftPick]!" bit to a ridiculous extreme. Bortles was the first QB drafted at #3. JG was the fifth QB drafted at #62. So, um, yeah, everybody rated Bortles higher.

As for "if you knew then what you know now," what exactly do we know now? They've both looked promising in wildly different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back