PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots working on a contract with Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SF can take on some of the money as what was done with Bridgewater, however I see that as a unlikely option as that would mean the Pats would have to add a extra asset.
I also find it unlikely. Would seem silly to eat cost for a guy you can just cut for nothing. $10M dead cap, $15M space gained for a 2nd, or $25M space gained for nothing?

Dale Arnold says they are working on a contract. Tom Pelissero says there's no restructured contract talks elsewhere. Well, someone is really wrong. I think that's enough twitter for today.

if this is the case, i would tell Lynch to go screw himself. jimmy is not that good...
I find it hard to believe that they are going to pay him 26 million dollars to be a back up or even a "bridge" QB. Especially when they can just cut him and save $24 million.

We need a #1 receiver. Nobody on this team is a #1 receiver. All of our receivers are #3 type receivers. Not sold on Waddle, but love his speed and explosiveness.

What's your definition of a #1? Because we had 3 midget slot receivers for over 15 years who were our #1. Jacobi Meyers is a 1200 yard receiver if he started all season instead of playing a partial year...

All the arguments that Jimmy is injury prone and thus not worth getting, the same people should also be saying Isiah Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games which is unacceptable at the crucial left tackle position, Wynn needs to be replaced.
Wynn isn’t touching the ball every offensive down. And that will be a conversation when he is due for a contract. Jimmy has completed one NFL season without injury at a position where reliability is massive. Brady missed one season due to injury and 4 games due to suspension since he became a starter over 20 years ago.

What's your definition of a #1? Because we had 3 midget slot receivers for over 15 years who were our #1. Jacobi Meyers is a 1200 yard receiver if he started all season instead of playing a partial year...
We also 07-10 we had Moss who was a top 3 all time receiver and Welker who is arguably the GOAT slot receiver ever who was a 4 time All Pro. 2010 to 2018 we had Gronk who is the GOAT TE and Welker overlapped with him for 3 years.

We had an elite pass catcher every year fron 07-18. In 03 and 04 we had Branch who was a clear number 1 even though he wasn’t in that elite tier. And once we got rid of him we had a down year and scrambled to get Moss and Welker.

Wynn isn’t touching the ball every offensive down. And that will be a conversation when he is due for a contract. Jimmy has completed one NFL season without injury at a position where reliability is massive. Brady missed one season due to injury and 4 games due to suspension since he became a starter over 20 years ago.

I hear you. But the injury points are very analagous for Wynn who they have to decide to pay 10M or not before the season even starts. It's not worth it when he has only played 30% of NFL games.

For Jimmy this sounds less likely given having to get an amicable contract renegotiation plus whatever SF wants in a trade. Hopefully SF realizes their leverage is low and Jimmy recognizes he's a dead man walking if he stays in SF for a year.

Darnold has more long term upside than Garoppolo. Darnold's problems could be more about the talent around him and the coaching rather than his talent.

Wow this is absolutely absurd. Jimmy plays well and wins a ton when he plays, and pocket passers can play into their late 30's. Darnold has shown nothing. Completely insane to claim Darnold has more upside. Being younger and crappy is not higher potential...

Latest from Schefty.

Why is it funny? At the rate Garoppolo is going, he will be out of the league in a few years. You can't get injured year after year like he does and stick around. A mediocre QB who can stay on the field is better than an elite player who spends most every season on IR.

I find it hard to believe that they are going to pay him 26 million dollars to be a back up or even a "bridge" QB. Especially when they can just cut him and save $24 million.
SF has a built-to-win-now roster so I'm having a hard time believing their GM, HC, owner are willing to risk this opportunity by handing the keys over to a rookie.
Factor in SF's lack of premium draft picks going forward.....The Time Is Now

That said, it's possible they view National Champion/most accurate college QB ever Mac Jones as pro-style ready right out of the blocks given his success running a pro roster at Bama

Regarding Felgerian semantics....
Substitute "bridge" with "starting" and the JG salary becomes far more palatable and easily justified.......and in fact, identical to Phillip "The Bridge" Rivers' 2020 one year contract at Indy
If the owner doesn't care how his $185 mill wage allotment gets divvied up, why should we?

Multiple teams??? Here’s the only 3 I can think of:

1) New
2) England
3) Patriots
Yeah. No kidding. Maybe the Bears or maybe the WFT. But I think it is just us that really want him.

Bears don’t have the cap, unless they traded Robinson and I don’t think anyone wants that money on their books even if it is for a year.
No team is trading for Jimmy on his current contract. That's why if he is smart he should say no to any trade forcing the Niners to release him so he can be a FA and go wherever he wants.

No team is trading for Jimmy on his current contract. That's why if he is smart he should say no to any trade forcing the Niners to release him so he can be a FA and go wherever he wants.
I think it's in JG's best interest to sit back and see if anyone is dumb enough to take him on his current contract. If it's a situation he likes (perhaps NE), he goes for it. If it is one he doesn't (perhaps WAS) he says no. If SF cuts him, he's a free agent and that's going to be to his advantage as well. Why take a salary cut with no benefit whatsoever?

I hope it does play out this way. We'll finally get the answer to the "Bill has a giant hard-on for Jimmy" question. We probably do know already, given we haven't seen the Patriots move heaven and earth to get him, no matter what Dale Arnold (lol) says.

True, say if he was released who would be interested and have the cap to do so?

Bears gave Dalton 10m guaranteed with no cap space.

Texans Maybe depending on what happens with Watson

Denver is a real possibility tons of cap space and Bridgewaters contract is releasable.

NE If they don’t draft a QB this weekend then JG is on the table, however doesn’t fall in line with the narrative with Cam. I think Cam is their guy this year.

Washington is also a possibly but less likely with Heineke and Fitzpatrick.

Eagles ehh...I think they want to see more Hurts as their starter.

I don’t really see anywhere else either via trade or FA.

Wow this is absolutely absurd. Jimmy plays well and wins a ton when he plays, and pocket passers can play into their late 30's. Darnold has shown nothing. Completely insane to claim Darnold has more upside. Being younger and crappy is not higher potential...

Again, I said long term upside. Garoppolo may be out of the league in a few years the way he is going. Four years as a starter and only one where he didn't miss time due to injuries. Two of them on IR.

If Garoppolo showed he could stay healthy and play through injuries, it would be one thing. He just cannot stay on the field and for a QB that is death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes