PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots won't Mortgage picks to move up for a QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Garoppolo is a good quarterback but people are already fitting his beautiful Italian face for a bust in Canton. He's played five and a half NFL games and his play ranged from very good to average in those games (it's perhaps more notable that he hasn't had a bad game yet than that he's had many good games). In any other sport, making a guy who had played so little one of the highest paid players in the sport would be viewed as the very height of lunacy. Give it a couple years before we mourn him.

Which one has been a prowler for 15 straight years? By the way with the watered down probowl process where guys like Tyrod Taylor are pro bowlers I don’t think that a piece of an argument any longer.
Rivers is a stat compiler. He was handed the best team in the league and after not getting the to the Sb, after the first 2 years as a started he is 83-82. I would not be happy with a stay compiler who wins 4 playoff games in 14 years.
Ryan actually has been worth his pick, and shouldn’t have been included.
Eli Manning is a Sb champ despite himself.
His team has made the playoffs 6 times in 14 years, 4 being one and dones. His carrer record is 8 games over .500. He has completed less than 60% of his passes in his career and his team-int ratio is 339-228.
If we traded up to #1 and got that career I would be very disappointed. It would be much better to go through a few other and trying to find a really good one that have the next Eli.

Yeah, I think you're nuts if you don't consider Philip Rivers a successful draft pick. He's been at worst, a top-10 NFL quarterback since he began to start.

I think Garoppolo is a good quarterback but people are already fitting his beautiful Italian face for a bust in Canton. He's played five and a half NFL games and his play ranged from very good to average in those games (it's perhaps more notable that he hasn't had a bad game yet than that he's had many good games). In any other sport, making a guy who had played so little one of the highest paid players in the sport would be viewed as the very height of lunacy. Give it a couple years before we mourn him.
I know Bill knew and now Kyle knows he is a franchise QB.

I am one that loves Josh Rosen. Some of these teams might pass on him. If Josh Allen goes number 1 then we can see him fall out of the top 10 until it gets to the dolphins and bills who could draft him. I think we will see wheeling and dealing on draft night. Still wouldn't shock me if Beckham got dealt as well.

Given that the Pats had Garoppolo, that "threat," last year, would have been like a five-year-old threatening to hold his breath until he gets what he wants.

You are resuming that the team didn't want to keep Brady.

reportedly, Brady wanted the team to make a choice.

Brady could not force the team in any way.

Ultimately, Garoppolo's final place in "the Pantheon" will be determined in large part by how effective Lynch and company are at building and maintaining a quality team around him.

I am one that loves Josh Rosen. Some of these teams might pass on him. If Josh Allen goes number 1 then we can see him fall out of the top 10 until it gets to the dolphins and bills who could draft him. I think we will see wheeling and dealing on draft night. Still wouldn't shock me if Beckham got dealt as well.
What would this have to do with our prospects of actually landing Rosen, though?

First off, I highly doubt that he falls out of the top 10, and like you said, he certainly isn’t getting past Buffalo or Miami. The Pats aren’t going to use all of those precious picks to move into the top 10. It would cost a fortune for them just to cross their fingers and hope that a developmental QB works out. That’s never going to happen and for good reason. I don’t think people are fully grasping how important these next two or three drafts are going to be for the future of this franchise with Brady and Belichick leaving soon. We need to hit on a lot of players in ‘18 and ‘19, which is another reason why I think we’ll trade one of our top 3 round picks into next year, too.

What would this have to do with our prospects of actually landing Rosen, though?

First off, I highly doubt that he falls out of the top 10, and like you said, he certainly isn’t getting past Buffalo or Miami. The Pats aren’t going to use all of those precious picks to move into the top 10. It would cost a fortune for them just to cross their fingers and hope that a developmental QB works out. That’s never going to happen and for good reason. I don’t think people are fully grasping how important these next two or three drafts are going to be for the future of this franchise with Brady and Belichick leaving soon. We need to hit on a lot of players in ‘18 and ‘19, which is another reason why I think we’ll trade one of our top 3 round picks into next year, too.

Agree.

Even the #43 might get the Pats a 2019 1st-rounder + a 2018 3rd or 4th.

Yeah, I think you're nuts if you don't consider Philip Rivers a successful draft pick. He's been at worst, a top-10 NFL quarterback since he began to start.
Then we disagree. I don’t consider stay compiling to be success. He has won 1 playoff game in the last 9 years. We have different criteria of what a top 10 QB is an whether passing for a lot of yards but not winning is success I think.

You are resuming that the team didn't want to keep Brady.

reportedly, Brady wanted the team to make a choice.

Brady could not force the team in any way.

I'm not presuming anything here.

Yes, we might get lucky and be able to find our franchise Qb with a low level pick, or perhaps with one low first. If we don't succeed this year, we may be forced to use much more resources (2019 and 2020 draft picks)

However, if Belichick believes that someone still available at 9, I believe that using 2 picks is a reasonable use of resources. That could be any of the top four if they fell. Different mocks have a different QB falling. A few have all of the 4 being picked in the top 8 picks.

So, yes, if Rosen is still available at 8,I think that the team might start serious calls. If the team is interested in 2 of the top 4, those calls may have already started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes