PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots won't Mortgage picks to move up for a QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand your analysis, we draft a 6th rounder in 2000 and kept 4 QB's on the roster, so we shouldn't draft a Qb until the 6th and see if we cn get another franchise QB at the end of the 6th. After all, it worked once.

I just think that we can do more with a later round and use the higher rounds for DE, OT,TE, LB..of course it all depends on whats available. Maybe get the QB with the 3rd round,
In any case I stand by the belief that BB will not garner picks to move up for the hallowed QBs of the draft.

As I understand your analysis, we draft a 6th rounder in 2000 and kept 4 QB's on the roster, so we shouldn't draft a Qb until the 6th and see if we cn get another franchise QB at the end of the 6th. After all, it worked once.
We could sign maybe two dozen of the highest rated undrafted quarterbacks and bring them all into camp. Let them compete and see who emerges as the next Tom Brady.

We could sign maybe two dozen of the highest rated undrafted quarterbacks and bring them all into camp. Let them compete and see who emerges as the next Tom Brady.
You are trying to amuse, but this seems to be what many are suggesting. As has been pointed out, it is much, much more likely to find a franchise quarterback in the first two rounds.

Garcia is still 2 years removed from playing any meaningful football. Hopefully he’s ready to go.

I'm not even counting on him as part of the plan. Blood clots are serious. A second event basically crosses him off the list.

You are trying to amuse, but this seems to be what many are suggesting. As has been pointed out, it is much, much more likely to find a franchise quarterback in the first two rounds.
I don't disagree, but the role of coaching and appropriate time for development is difficult to quantify. Besides Chad Pennington, the only other QB in Brady's year who enjoyed any success was Marc Bulger, also a sixth round pick.

Garcia is still 2 years removed from playing any meaningful football. Hopefully he’s ready to go.
How is it two years? He just drafted last year.

After i heard about the Garcia news and now this,i feel comfortable that we take 4 defenders with our first 4 picks and rebuild our defense for the next years.
Maybe 1 of them on offense like an RB or LT (ex. Sony Michel with the 49ers pick).

They can grab a QB after that.

You can't do that all players miss the offseason. He missed one year.

I hate to be repetitive,but pleas list the patriots that have been serious contributors after missing their rookie season. The list is very, very short. We cannot count on last year's rookies who were injured. On the other hand, we cannot give up on them. Belichick will give them another year.

I hate to be repetitive,but pleas list the patriots that have been serious contributors after missing their rookie season. The list is very, very short.
Not many were taken in the top three rounds either. Each situation is different.

I hate to be repetitive,but pleas list the patriots that have been serious contributors after missing their rookie season. The list is very, very short. We cannot count on last year's rookies who were injured. On the other hand, we cannot give up on them. Belichick will give them another year.

Trey Flowers?

Trey Flowers?

Trey was with the team for the entire camp and off-season. He played only one game and practiced with the team. He was put on IR on December 1st.

If you take any article about who a team is going to draft seriously, and the team involved is not the Browns at #1, you're crazy. Based upon the combination of written/spoken reports/speculations, we already know that the Patriots are going to:

Trade to the top of the draft to grab one of the top 4 QBs
Trade up a little to grab a 2nd tier QB
Stay pat and draft a QB either at the bottom of round one or in a later round
Not draft a QB at all

Pretty much says it all.
Whether the decisions ended up good ones or bad ones, the Patriots have a well established track record at draft time of sometimes doing the 'out from left field-unexpected'. BB could sign two good FA CBs then use the first two draft picks on CBs. Now couple that with sports media stories that are planted, manipulated, cajoled, sensationalized if not outright fabricated.
Whether the Patriots will try to get a QB above their draft spot, go for a mid round QB or not pick a QB at all is known to a tiny circle of people -- and none of these people work for BSJ, ESPN or The Globe.
When the draft happens we will have our answer. Until then enjoy the "stories" for what they are and where they belong - in the sports>fiction section of the library.

Give me Mayfield, or trade for an additional 2019 1st. Don't want any stuffing.

I don't want a 1st round QB due to the contractual obligations that come with the option year and that crap......I would take Lamar Jackson in a heartbeat with the 2/11 pick
This makes no sense. The option is totally team friendly. Get a 5th year at rookie cost. Pay wise its better to get a QB in 1st round for the extra year not paying 25million

Give me Mayfield, or trade for an additional 2019 1st. Don't want any stuffing.
I think a trade into next year with one of the top 5 picks (even #95 could possibly net a low second rounder—maybe) is a good possibility.

With three third rounders, two of which come via comp picks, we could be set up real nicely again by picking up another first or second. It could be a back-to-back draft type of deal that helps to set the team up for the future with the clock ticking loudly for both Belichick and Brady.

The only problem that I’d have is that I believe that it takes two seasons before any potential QB would be totally ready to start in this offense, at least if we’re expecting much success and not a 9-7 or 8-8 type of record, anyway. In that vein, I would probably prefer that a QB is taken now versus waiting for next spring, because that would mean that we have to hope that Brady plays three more years. My concern would be that the rookie probably wouldn’t be able to handle everything with a high level of success in 2020 (if drafted in 2019). Perhaps they’d just be content waiting until next year with the understanding that a mediocre year (in 2020) would be a good possibility, no matter what happens. If that’s the case, I could see your scenario play out by trading a first into next year with the idea that they’d have a better shot at getting a more talented QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes