PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots video of War Room calling Mac Jones. Who is in the Room?

I was shocked when SF took lance. immediately Thought pats are going to wait and see.

I don't understand why they were not jumping up and down and hollering. Maybe they were when SF made their idiotic pick of Lance....I was jumping up and down and hooting both times.

Maybe they did not show the footage earlier when it became clear that Jone was gonna drop to them (about pick 12 or so). Too bad Michael Holly was not there recording everything...
I think I did enough jumping around and hollering for them.

Does anyone remember what Micheal Holley said about the draft room reactions. I know that BB and their staff predicted that some team would screw up, and they did (Detroit?). I am sure there are some mild curses when a team ahead of them takes a guy they wanted.....I am not sure there was any hooting and hollering...

It almost sounds as if BB is unsure of the pick, asking everyone "are you good on this?" I mean if MJ was clearly the best pick there would be no question.

He does it all the time. You've seen him do it on the sideline when they're making an important move. "We all good with this"?

I didn't see him, kind of surprised by that. Maybe was off camera? O just didn't recognize him (mask/shaved his beard?)

There are a few others I'm not sue of, will try to match up.
He went for a pee break couldn’t hold it, but the big surprise is that when he walked into the bathroom that Bird guy from deflate gate was hiding out in there asking if it was “all over and if it’s ok to come out.”

Does anyone remember what Micheal Holley said about the draft room reactions. I know that BB and their staff predicted that some team would screw up, and they did (Detroit?). I am sure there are some mild curses when a team ahead of them takes a guy they wanted.....I am not sure there was any hooting and hollering...
But there were absolutely no surprises in the top half of the draft. It’s because the Raiders had a middling year rather than a bad one. They decided to add some spice to the draft a few picks after the Patriots

Maybe it's just cynical old me, but I think his polling everyone was just for the cameras, to show how collaborative he now is.
I had a similar take, but I thought it was less a show for the cameras than for Kraft (given his recent comments to the press).

I think Detroit is thrilled to get Penell.
The SF pick made it possible for the Pats to get Mac. I think the Giants messed up trading back then up for a worse WR.

Berj Nazarian introduced himself when he called MJ, it's definitely him.
Yeh, I didn't get the jumping around, high-fiving, hugs, fist-bumps etc from teams picking 1,2,3,4. You suck so you were picking early (SF apart) and you drafted who everybody predicted you would. What's the party about? Sit down, be humble and get better i.e. stop sucking.
I don't give SF a pass, they paid a king's ransom to move up, same for CHI.

Berj Nazarian introduced himself when he called MJ, it's definitely him.

I like it, MJ. Thumbs up on you starting the trend. Mac is Cam backwards and also goes by MJ.

The more I've thought about it, the smarter it seems to me.

Of course, it's a gamble. The first gamble is to back your judgement. Is the guy you want good enough to be a long-term starter in the NFL with the ability to quarterback your team to a Championship? Say Mahomes or Wilson level. Or, if not quite that good, at least Watson or Prescott.

But let's say you're confident enough in your judgement to think that you've found someone at that level and the price is three first-rounders. Well, a franchise quarterback is going to cost you $25m. So, if you have your quarterback on a rookie contract, you can spend the difference on free agents. Do that arithmetic and going without a first-rounder for two more years looks pretty reasonable.

The more I've thought about it, the smarter it seems to me.

Of course, it's a gamble. The first gamble is to back your judgement. Is the guy you want good enough to be a long-term starter in the NFL with the ability to quarterback your team to a Championship? Say Mahomes or Wilson level. Or, if not quite that good, at least Watson or Prescott.

But let's say you're confident enough in your judgement to think that you've found someone at that level and the price is three first-rounders. Well, a franchise quarterback is going to cost you $25m. So, if you have your quarterback on a rookie contract, you can spend the difference on free agents. Do that arithmetic and going without a first-rounder for two more years looks pretty reasonable.
I just looked at a web site that judged all 32 teams on their first round picks.

The Texans got a failing grade.

Of course, they gave up multiple firsts to get Tunsil so they had no first round pick.

Welcome to their harsh reality.

It turns out SF could have stayed right where they were at 12 and had Mac Jones, plus first round picks next year and the year after, plus the two third rounders they threw into the deal.

Gotta balance cost with return, it's all I'm saying.

Maybe it's just cynical old me, but I think his polling everyone was just for the cameras, to show how collaborative he now is.
He did it to satisfy the inebriated senior citizen in the booster seat fiddlin with something under his desk....................though I could be mistaken

Last edited:
I can't tell if our national scout Matt Groh or Eliot Wolf are in the room. Can anyone identify who these 5 people are in the room?

It looks unfortunately like Ziegler, McDaniels, Groh. Don't know who the fat guy in glasses is. And then Najerian makes the phone call (chief of staff)
Why unfortunately Ziegler?

I just looked at a web site that judged all 32 teams on their first round picks.

The Texans got a failing grade.

Of course, they gave up multiple firsts to get Tunsil so they had no first round pick.

Welcome to their harsh reality.

It turns out SF could have stayed right where they were at 12 and had Mac Jones, plus first round picks next year and the year after, plus the two third rounders they threw into the deal.

Gotta balance cost with return, it's all I'm saying.

Yes. I see your point. My thought is that the 9ers had Garoppolo, who is a good quarterback, even if frequently injured. So they weren't in the situation of Washington/New Orleans/the Patriots, who need a QB. Their reason to take a QB was to step up, to go from good to great.

The point about Tunsil is a good one, though. My argument doesn't apply so much to other positions, even left tackles, because quarterbacks are so much more expensive and elite ones so rare. I don't think anyone would say that any of Light, Solder, Brown, Wynn have been elite, although all are very good at their best, but the Patriots have won with them all.

It almost sounds as if BB is unsure of the pick, asking everyone "are you good on this?" I mean if MJ was clearly the best pick there would be no question.
You are over thinking this

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back