PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Thursday August 4th

Love these o-line vs d-line battles...Herron has seemed to fair well this training camp.

Sounds like 2 of the presumptive OL reserves to make the team, based on camp reports, would be Hambright (G) and Herron (T). Before camp, I really had no idea who beyond the starting 5 would separate themselves, so it's good to see a bit of clarity there.

Sounds like 2 of the presumptive OL reserves to make the team, based on camp reports, would be Hambright (G) and Herron (T). Before camp, I really had no idea who beyond the starting 5 would separate themselves, so it's good to see a bit of clarity there.
What about the Canadian star desjarlais?

Agholor seems to be building good chemistry with Mac and having a really good camp. I would be shocked if he wasn't on the team. Thorton we know is making the team.

You make a good point with Meyers...he is going to be a f/a next year, what is his trade value? I think he is a good. solid number 3/4 receiver, but we have a lot of depth at the position and young talent like Nixon coming on...should be interesting!!
I agree Agholor looks good, I attribute that more to Mac's development with the deep ball than Agholor improving... but having another offseason together must surely help. At the end of the day money is always a factor. Nelson is in the final year of his deal and costs ten million, the two young kids are on rookie contracts and cost nothing, they're locked up for years.

Meyers I like, he's a fine receiver but he's slow. If Nixon, Thornton and Wilkerson are firing on all cylinders they are simply better players and Meyers may think he's worth more than he really is.

They could get later round picks for both Meyers or Agholor. Agholor is better but another team would have to eat his salary, which would drop his trade compensation some... probably closer to what they could get for Meyers. I'll gladly take the picks. The youth movement is here.

If Nixon, Thornton and Wilkerson are firing on all cylinders they are simply better players and Meyers may think he's worth more than he really is.
I think you have to go out and play in NFL games and produce before you get anointed "better" than a WR that put up 700+ yards of receiving for the patriots in 2 out of his first 3 years in the league.

Since Welker left, only Julien Edelman has been able to string 2 700+ yard seasons for the Pats. No other WR has done it.

What happened to Tavai?

There's our first major injury.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an ACL or MCL.. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst :(
If players are put on IR this early can they be designated to return?

I think you have to go out and play in NFL games and produce before you get anointed "better" than a WR that put up 700+ yards of receiving for the patriots in 2 out of his first 3 years in the league.

Since Welker left, only Julien Edelman has been able to string 2 700+ yard seasons for the Pats. No other WR has done it.
The coaches can determine through practices, joint practices and preseason games whether a player has taken enough steps to play in real games. They did this with Mac last season.

Meyers at his best is young Mohamed Sanu, a solid but slow slot receiver. He’s not indispensable… especially to the team that traded Chandler Jones because he expected too much money.

Agholor seems to be building good chemistry with Mac and having a really good camp. I would be shocked if he wasn't on the team. Thorton we know is making the team.

You make a good point with Meyers...he is going to be a f/a next year, what is his trade value? I think he is a good. solid number 3/4 receiver, but we have a lot of depth at the position and young talent like Nixon coming on...should be interesting!!
What a difference a couple of months make. Wasn't long ago people were worried about WR and reporters were dogging in the group "with anonymous NFL executive/sr scout" says the Pats WRs are ****.

Now we're talking possible gluttony.

What about the Canadian star desjarlais?
He was my pre-camp guess for who might turn out good, but haven't heard anything about him since practices started except that he was behind Hambright and Ferentz on the initial depth chart.

There's our first major injury.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an ACL or MCL.. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst :(
Never like to see an injury happen. Thought his contribution would be on S/T if he made the team.

The coaches can determine through practices, joint practices and preseason games whether a player has taken enough steps to play in real games. They did this with Mac last season.

Meyers at his best is young Mohamed Sanu, a solid but slow slot receiver. He’s not indispensable… especially to the team that traded Chandler Jones because he expected too much money.
I think you underestimate how hard it is to find someone with even that level of competence. Personally, I could see Meyers tumbling down to WR4 and getting traded, but people here act like he's a JAG. JAGs don't produce WR2 (3 if you're being uncharitable) numbers consistently like Meyers has.

In fact, I would apply the JAG label to some of the guys who are expected by some to take Meyers' job. Wilkerson? Nixon? They're also 7th round picks/UDFA like Meyers, except the difference is they've shown nothing in real games whereas Meyers has shown quite a bit.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back