PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Monday August 8th

I'd expect low-cost guys who likely wouldn't be snatched up by other teams like Ferentz and Asiasi to be early season practice squad members who get activated on game day. Probably one or both of Tavai/Langi as well, and Schooler for ST. I think Butler and Bethel aren't quite at the practice squad stage of their careers yet.

I'm not saying they are practice squad players, but they are similar to what Hoyer/Folk were last season and Brandon Bolden was a few years back.

Now the league has a special designation for those players that includes the practice squad rather than being on the street.

And Judon will wear down like last year I wanted a Defensive Player early on in the Draft instead of Cole Strange.
Hopefully Jennings will provide some depth, snaps and pressures at OLB. They needed Cole Strange.

This year there is a shadow roster where three veterans are allowed to move back and forth from the practice squad for the first few weeks without going through waivers or being counted on the 53.

I think Butler and Bethel are candidates.
You just described the perfect situation for Coach Hoyer...

You just described the perfect situation for Coach Hoyer...

Except if they cut Hoyer there's a 3 million cap hit that never comes back.

Butler and Bethel cap hit fit in better.

Good stuff from Reiss: The only name I'm a little surprised at is Wade, thought he was making plays.

Yep, LB is a concern and has been for a very long time. I remember when Scarnecchia retired he voiced the opinion that the LB corp was in sore need of attention. Nothing has changed in the last few years. I understand Belichick was not a fan of those first rounders like Devin lloyd but Reiss's early analysis of McGrone, Uche, and Perkins leave me, well, mcgroaning.

I see the logic, but I think the key difference is Harmon wasn't arguably the best player in his position group at the time. I would say Jonathan Jones is our best CB overall, even above Mills.
W/o question, if he's healthy

I don't think so. Just doesn't have the body for 50/50 balls vs bigger WRs. Loses track of the deeper passes.
Sounds like Ellis Hobbs syndrome. I've never seen a CB provide fairly good coverage, but have such terrible ball skills. Just when you think he put himself in an opportunity to make a play on the ball, he'd either fall down, trip, mistime the jump, or just flat out get outmuscled for the ball and then look around with his hands in the air that like it wasn't his fault.

Yep, LB is a concern and has been for a very long time. I remember when Scarnecchia retired he voiced the opinion that the LB corp was in sore need of attention. Nothing has changed in the last few years. I understand Belichick was not a fan of those first rounders like Devin lloyd but Reiss's early analysis of McGrone, Uche, and Perkins leave me, well, mcgroaning.
I think with Mack Wilson, Bentley, McMillian, Uche and Jennings that we're fine.

I am jonesing for some actual training camp practice posts.....

Sounds like Ellis Hobbs syndrome. I've never seen a CB provide fairly good coverage, but have such terrible ball skills. Just when you think he put himself in an opportunity to make a play on the ball, he'd either fall down, trip, mistime the jump, or just flat out get outmuscled for the ball and then look around with his hands in the air that like it wasn't his fault.
Hes a notch or two ahead of Hobbs.

JJ has limitations but only guys like Jalen Ramsey don't. JJ has been/is an excellent slot CB.

If he is traded i'd take a Jerod Mayo or fatty DT in return.

Perkins is competing with Uche and Jennings for reps opposite Judon
Alternatively up to half of the time a more traditional 3-4 DE would be on the field instead (such as Wise, Anderson, Ekuale, Ray, Pharms)

Mcgrone is competing with
Bentley
Mcmillan
Wilson
Tavai
Uche
At most 2 of those 6 will be in the field

So Perkins and McGrone developing beyond their competition would be nice but it’s not necessary.

I see the logic, but I think the key difference is Harmon wasn't arguably the best player in his position group at the time. I would say Jonathan Jones is our best CB overall, even above Mills.
Plus, he is certainly the fastest of the vets (or at least he used to be, I don't know if he has slowed at 29), and it would be nice to have a bit of speed back there. His injury wasn't to his legs, so I assume his speed is still good.

Last edited:
Hes a notch or two ahead of Hobbs.

JJ has limitations but only guys like Jalen Ramsey don't. JJ has been/is an excellent slot CB.

If he is traded i'd take a Jerod Mayo or fatty DT in return.
RobertWeathers, to tell the truth most of my familiarity with JJ is early in his career. Coming out of Auburn he was lightning fast, a great athlete (a high school hurdling champ) had good college production, but wasn't drafted because of concerns about his size, height, injury history, and his tendency to get bullied in the running game. He is still small, but clearly in New England he raised his game when it came to toughness and tackling, and he has been an excellent slot corner as you said. What are his main limitations now, is it just his size or has he lost some speed? I guess I haven't read any updates on him lately. Some other posters refer to his ball skills, is that a problem for him?

RobertWeathers, to tell the truth most of my familiarity with JJ is early in his career. Coming out of Auburn he was lightning fast, a great athlete (a high school hurdling champ) had good college production, but wasn't drafted because of concerns about his size, height, injury history, and his tendency to get bullied in the running game. He is still small, but clearly in New England he raised his game when it came to toughness and tackling, and he has been an excellent slot corner as you said. What are his main limitations now, is it just his size or has he lost some speed? I guess I haven't read any updates on him lately. Some other posters refer to his ball skills, is that a problem for him?
I've always felt JJs ball skills were pretty decent. Pretty sticky. Hes been a willing and solid tackler here. They missed him big time vs Philly in the SB.

He was hurt last year but I still think hes pretty good.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back