PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Monday August 15th

This would be interesting... because if Jon Jones can perform well on the outside (at least versus certain matchups), you've got two guys there that could play inside or out (Jon Jones and Mills). Creates potential for a lot of combinations depending on matchups, health, and who's playing well. So right now, you've got:

Outside Depth Chart:
Mills
Mitchell
Jon Jones
Butler/Jack Jones

Inside Depth Chart:
Jon Jones
Marcus Jones
Mills
Bryant

Shaun Wade is kind of the wildcard here too. Could play inside or outside potentially.
For what it’s worth Wade was playing primarily outside on Thursday night. I don’t see Mills moving inside at all, he’s one of our bigger better outside guys.

Here’s how I have them:

Outside Depth Chart:
Mills
Mitchell
Wade
Hafford
Butler

Slot Depth Chart:
Jon Jones
Marcus Jones
Jack Jones
Myles Bryant

So regardless that Mac was a rookie last year...he should have thrown the ball deep more often?
We didn't have the Talent or we thought we did thus the Agholor - Smith and Henry contracts. I am sure we weren't looking for 475yds from Agholor based on contract we also got nothing from Jonnu. We wasn't very good at the end both Defensively and Offensively and couldn't keep up after a falling two scores down on O that has to change for us to go further or challenge the Iron. So I hope the 2022 Game plan have Mac going deep more often that should keep the D honest.

The numbers don't line up to cut Guy this year, unless he's completely fallen.

Sorry, I want to reiterate before this goes too far and we get the inevitable reply of "Who's saying to cut Guy!?"

I only brought him up as an example of the type of decision you have to make if you want to keep a young player (who isn't proven yet but has higher upside) without cutting a core special teamer. The pain has to be felt somewhere. I don't think Guy is going anywhere.

If opponents are giving you short you take short, if they’re crowding the line of scrimmage you go long. There’s no right or wrong way to move down the field and score.

The Pats dinked and dunked their way to 3 rings in the early 2000’s, controlling the clock and scoring is only a good thing. It allows your defense to rest, it keeps the opposing offense on the sideline watching.
And we had the GOAT who was the master @ that and guys who were good after the catch: it takes two to tangle.

Yeah I don't think he's going anywhere either. Veteran prescense and good locker guy

For what it’s worth Wade was playing primarily outside on Thursday night. I don’t see Mills moving inside at all, he’s one of our bigger better outside guys.
Agree Wade has been playing some outside...maybe it's to see how that works out...which I don't think it will. Mills is outside all day long.

And we had the GOAT who was the master @ that and guys who were good after the catch: it takes two to tangle.
Your comparing a rookie QB to the GOAT.

I expect us to make some tough cuts on the 53 man cut down day....then resign some ST'ers before week 1 while we "stash" some guys with the Foxboro Flu or something like that...

I think they only keep one of Roberts/Ray. We sometimes go overboard in player evaluation this time of year.

One is an UFA and the other a late round pick.

They looked good against the Giants scrubs. There's still two more games and joint practices.

Some Schooler love: Is he trending to make the team as an udfa? I think most of us agree that Bryan will make it, but do two? Good block below:

Looked more like 4 bowling pins falling... Might've also been a block in the back penalty...

As usual, you will be shocked that belichick keeps his top starting Sters like Bethel and Davis, You prefer 3rd stringers at other positions to starters on special teams.

Why can't backups at positions from scrimmage also be starters on STs while learning/apprenticing those positions?

Why can't backups at positions from scrimmage also be starters on STs while learning/apprenticing those positions?
Backups have to be active on game day, and on game day teams can only activate 48 players. So all players have to play special teams and play them well. For over two decades the Pats have had some of the best ST's in the NFL. That doesn't happen by accident.

Agree Wade has been playing some outside...maybe it's to see how that works out...which I don't think it will. Mills is outside all day long.
I've always seen Wade as an outside CB, he stands 6'1" tall at near 200 pounds, he's the tallest CB on the team. That doesn't say "slot corner" to me.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back