PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp - Friday Night August 5th

Can you year them ?

giphy.gif

I'm starting to get concerned
Concernometer at a 2/10 here. Not much, but I think anyone here isn't being honest if they say they didn't expect Mac to look sharper up to this point. But, I'm still mostly confident we'll see a nice improvement from year 1, and the camp struggles will prove themselves to be due to the offensive system change and the focus being on working on certain aspects rather than on results at this stage.

Zappe was the better QB tonight. That's 3 days in a row apparently

Apparently according to whom? Jesus 2/3 speed games with mixed teams and easy practices to give the guys time to recover shouldn’t freak you out. Most of the time the defense knows the plays ahead of time. Plus if you care Macs stats were better yesterdays than zappes were.

Last year people complained that they were too conservative with Mac. Unleashing him means more risk to go along with more rewards. And in the end they are both .our qb’s. if Zappe is as good or better than Mac, who was the best rookie qb last year than that is ****ing awesome.

Concernometer at a 2/10 here. Not much, but I think anyone here isn't being honest if they say they didn't expect Mac to look sharper up to this point. But, I'm still mostly confident we'll see a nice improvement from year 1, and the camp struggles will prove themselves to be due to the offensive system change and the focus being on working on certain aspects rather than on results at this stage.
I still suspect that Mac tweaked his arm in the practice that he threw the intercept to Dugger and stormed off. He's now wearing a compression sleeve on it and when asked claimed it was to keep the arm warm. They're so damn secretive about injuries. Since then he has been less accurate and is even being outplayed by Zappe.

Apparently according to whom? Jesus 2/3 speed games with mixed teams and easy practices to give the guys time to recover shouldn’t freak you out. Most of the time the defense knows the plays ahead of time. Plus if you care Macs stats were better yesterdays than zappes were.

Last year people complained that they were too conservative with Mac. Unleashing him means more risk to go along with more rewards. And in the end they are both .our qb’s. if Zappe is as good or better than Mac, who was the best rookie qb last year than that is ****ing awesome.
Relax. Grow a pair. I said “starting to be concenered”. It will be ok:…really. Observations from people that have been to the practices…

Relax. Grow a pair. I said “starting to be concenered”. It will be ok:…really. Observations from people that have been to the practices…

My wife sent me a thing the other day that went something like “the moment you realize as a mother with a son, that you did in fact, “grow a pair”.

It's certainly surprising (and unsettling) to hear him say that but I'd like to hear his evidence before calling him crazy.

Another area that still appears to be an open competition is at right guard, where Mike Onwenu and James Ferentz split the reps for Team Blue. With the Patriots potentially featuring more zone-blocking run concepts this season, Onwenu's fit in that style of scheme comes into question. In other words, New England could go with more athletic options, and we've seen the coaching staff try out various players at right guard in practice.

This wasn’t a scrimmage. Watch the clips, most of the players aren’t trying, going at partial speed. It was interesting as far as who was on what team, and I am excited about the Z man, but drawing conclusions from the game stats is just plain silly.

Saying RG is unsettled is.

Lazar was observing that Onwenu was being substituted for Ferentz and Hambright during the scrimmage, while (I am assuming) the rest of the starting offensive line was kept intact.

I agree it's a leap to make more of this than it is so early, but perhaps Lazar has talked to others who think this is meaningful.

Whatever, I don't see it as being an idiot. There was some unknown reason the OL changed for the better last year once Karras replaced Onwenu. Karras had a good year, but still.

It's certainly surprising (and unsettling) to hear him say that but I'd like to hear his evidence before calling him crazy.
That was the evidence.

Lazar was observing that Onwenu was being substituted for Ferentz and Hambright during the scrimmage, while (I am assuming) the rest of the starting offensive line was kept intact.

I agree it's a leap to make more of this than it is so early, but perhaps Lazar has talked to others who think this is meaningful.

Whatever, I don't see it as being an idiot. There was some unknown reason the OL changed for the better last year once Karras replaced Onwenu. Karras had a good year, but still.
Idiot might have been too strong.

I find him to be a bit too knee jerk with his takes.

He's much better when he breaks down film and takes his time

I find him to be a bit too knee jerk with his takes.
He should spend more time here in this forum observing how thoughtful and considerate debate plays out.

Seriously man, you label him and idiot then complain that his knees jerk?

He should spend more time here in this forum observing how thoughtful and considerate debate plays out.

Seriously man, you label him and idiot then complain that his knees jerk?
Here I expect it.

From someone who makes a living watching and reporting on the team every day no. I expect more

Every report says the offense has been sluggish.

It seems there is pressure on Mac or a pass is being batted down consistently all practice, every practice.

Who is not doing their job on the OL?

Perhaps it starts with communication which is the reason they gave last year for replacing Onwenu with Karras.

Every report says the offense has been sluggish.

It seems there is pressure on Mac or a pass is being batted down consistently all practice, every practice.

Who is not doing their job on the OL?

Perhaps it starts with communication which is the reason they gave last year for replacing Onwenu with Karras.
Lazar is certainly dredging up uncomfortable questions about Owenu, including why that when he was benched for Karras last year the OL improved immediately. I know BB praised him in 2020 for his positional versatility, but maybe he really is only an RT. Having Owenu fail at RG after letting Mason go for nothing would be an embarrassing outcome.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back