PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp - Friday Night August 5th

This probably shouldn’t have been filmed…

You post a video with a cryptic, leading caption, "This probably shouldn't have been filmed...", and it turns out the video is 30 minutes long. Seriously? lol.

Can you put some effort into explaining why you think this shouldn't have been filmed? This isn't a 20 second clip where one is able to gain an understanding of what's going on immediately.

You post a video with a cryptic, leading caption, "This probably shouldn't have been filmed...", and it turns out the video is 30 minutes long. Seriously? lol.

Can you put some effort into explaining why you think this shouldn't have been filmed? This isn't a 20 second clip where one is able to gain an understanding of what's going on immediately.
Video tapping practices is forbidden. I thought that was generally known.

This probably shouldn’t have been filmed…

I don't like the way Mac lifts that back foot at 5:30 on the short stick to Jonnu. He's got to keep that foot planted and generate torque from his hips. He doesn't even lift the foot in order to follow through, he just lifts it independent of his throwing motion, like force of a habit, but it's not contributing to his throwing mechanics whatsoever. The little things matter, that has got to get better.

Gotcha, that didn't connect. Someone should see about recording the YouTube video (while it plays) in order to save it before it's taken down

If your point is that the initial move was Owenu to RT and Karras replacing him at LG, sure that's fine. But Karras kept the LG position when Owenu was replaced by Brown and Owenu went to the bench. Not sure why you are even arguing this.

I think the argument can be made, with some validity, that Onwenu is better than Karras, but only marginally, so BB did not want to change two positions at once. So Onwenu went to the bench to maintain OL continuity keeping Karras starting, not because Onwenu was benched. BB does highly value veteran continuity - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Of course if Onwenu was John Hannah ........

Not if the Pats do it or authorize someone else to do it. After like 15 years of Hard Knocks, I think we see that videoing practices is legal. It just needs to be approved.

Timestamp 21:10 in the video posted, holy smokes was that a great route by Thornton. Presses his man upfield, sells the post, then sinks his hips and turns 180 degrees on a dime, running a hitch. Catches the ball and finishes the play. Even Jonathan Jones looked caught off guard by how quickly Thornton was able to get out of his break on the hitch.

Last edited:
I think the argument can be made, with some validity, that Onwenu is better than Karras, but only marginally, so BB did not want to change two positions at once. So Onwenu went to the bench to maintain OL continuity keeping Karras starting, not because Onwenu was benched. BB does highly value veteran continuity - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Of course if Onwenu was John Hannah ........
I conceded this point in an edit I made to my last post to DaBruinz:

...if your point is that the initial move of Owenu to RT and Karras to LG says nothing about how they felt about Owenu vs Karras at LG, I agree. It was entirely about fixing the RT problem, and indeed that they delayed making that move indicates they were not unhappy with Owenu at LG. I'll also concede that their later decision to bench Owenu instead of Karras when Brown returned may have been about concerns about Brown's continued health and not wanting to disrupt LG where Karras was playing surprisingly well. They might still have chosen Owenu over Karras if RT had been stable.

That was a very lazy pass.

Agree but I do understand a bit more the context of that throw after watching the youtube video of the practice. Two plays before that INT, Mac lofted a pass to I believe Agholor, which was complete but out of bounds because it was a bit strong. He may have over adjusted the second time and threw it too short which was then picked. But to me that play was not great on two fronts, the first of course was that way too short a pass from Mac but the second was Jonnu just being lazy as well and not trying to either go after the ball or at least play DB and make sure it doesn't get picked.

Last edited:
Great video of the Pats scrimmage on Friday at Gillette. Anybody seen @Zuma recently?
Hoffa.jpg

I conceded this point in an edit I made to my last post to DaBruinz:

...if your point is that the initial move of Owenu to RT and Karras to LG says nothing about how they felt about Owenu vs Karras at LG, I agree. It was entirely about fixing the RT problem, and indeed that they delayed making that move indicates they were not unhappy with Owenu at LG. I'll also concede that their later decision to bench Owenu instead of Karras when Brown returned may have been about concerns about Brown's continued health and not wanting to disrupt LG where Karras was playing surprisingly well. They might still have chosen Owenu over Karras if RT had been stable.

Agreed. The bottom line is that Onwenu is not an exceptional player, more the above average variety. I think PFF rates Onwenu highly because he does very well at skills PFF grades and not so well at skills PFF does not grade. For example Onwenu is great at preventing bull rushes (which PFF grades) but poorly at pulling and finding a LB at the 2nd level (which PFF does not grade). Karras was at Miami and they let him walk, he came here and we let him walk, so Karras is the definition of a journeyman. I think Onwenu is a bit better than Karras but not much. I expect the Pats will draft a OG in 2023 to replace Onwenu (who will be in his final rookie year in 2023) if they have not already found a guy in Hambright.

Having said all that, I think the Pats are playing Strange a lot in games and practices to get him experience. That means the Pats will be rotating a lot at the other guard position (Onwenu's). I am not sure how close the battle is between Onwenu and Hambright but it appears like Hambright is #3 being Onwenu and Strange (which is interesting).

I have no idea why they let Shaq go but obviously BB felt Shaq was not a significant step above Onwenu and cost a whole lot more. So Onwenu is marginally above Karras and marginally below Shaq Mason is my guess.

Marshall Faulk has filed an official complaint against Zuma for filming the practice and insists, that is the reason that the Rams lost SB 36 :rofl: .

Colin Cowherd has told me that this is BB last year. He is obviously tanking (how else do you explain a Div 3 Guard drafted in the first rd), in hopes of landing Will Anderson with a top five pick next year. Patricia will take over and with his excellent record as a HS in the NFL, will lead the Pats back to the SB!!

In all seriousness, if this team wins more than 6 games I will be shocked. They are just not that good, luckily BB has resisted the cap manipulation that pushes cap hits down the road. I forsee Wynn and McCourty getting off loaded in the pre-season or more likely near the trade deadline to a playoff team with an injury. Neither one of them has a future with the Pats past this year.

Hopefully they will be able to land Will Anderson in the next draft, but after this year's fiasco, BB will probably draft a kicker in the first round

What's perplexing me is that this "offense is struggling" narrative seemed to quietly crop up.
Having sat in the production meetings for newspapers, TV, etc the answer is actually pretty clear - uncertainty and potential for negative outcomes get more attention (clicks, views, etc) than stability and potential for positive outcomes.

I have no idea why they let Shaq go but obviously BB felt Shaq was not a significant step above Onwenu and cost a whole lot more. So Onwenu is marginally above Karras and marginally below Shaq Mason is my guess.
You just answered it.

Shaq was a very good/solid RG. Was never a Pro Bowler and the calculus was such that he was expendable.

Agreed. The bottom line is that Onwenu is not an exceptional player, more the above average variety.

If we have five OL starters who are all above average starters (i.e. top 15 at their position), we'll have a top 5 line. That kind of consistent quality is very hard to create.

Timestamp 21:10 in the video posted, holy smokes was that a great route by Thornton. Presses his man upfield, sells the post, then sinks his hips and turns 180 degrees on a dime, running a hitch. Catches the ball and finishes the play. Even Jonathan Jones looked caught off guard by how quickly Thornton was able to get out of his break on the hitch.
That was one of the routes that I hadn't seen Thornton run in the hype videos.

@ashley1992 and @Zuma , just a heads up, but it looks like TC will start this week in the afternoon. It kinda sucks but at least the boys won't be in the daytime heat...

i dont really like him scrambling like that in scrimmages..

The defense isn't going to aggressively go after him like they would in a real game, i dont want Mac thinking he's Mike Vick out there cause no one is touching him on runs lol

reminds me of the pro bowl, defense just sort of 2 hand touched him and he sprinted off down the field for a TD with no one in pursuit hehe

Some people / reporters that have been to these practices are saying that lately Zappe is getting the newish offense better then Mac. I don't know. I'll hold my judgement until I see the 1st pre-season game.
Hmmmmm can say it...Russell Wilson Bailey Zappe. :cool: Remember when the the Third Rounder won the Starting QB job in Seattle?:cool:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back