PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp - Friday Night August 5th

Why on earth did he throw it into double coverage?
I'm not worried about it as you try those things in practice.

That quote from Meyers is certainly interesting. "We understand we did things a certain way before, but it's not about that anymore."

The performance from Zappe has been intriguing. Something to watch.

That quote from Meyers is certainly interesting. "We understand we did things a certain way before, but it's not about that anymore."

The performance from Zappe has been intriguing. Something to watch.
Some people / reporters that have been to these practices are saying that lately Zappe is getting the newish offense better then Mac. I don't know. I'll hold my judgement until I see the 1st pre-season game.

Some people / reporters that have been to these practices are saying that lately Zappe is getting the newish offense better then Mac. I don't know. I'll hold my judgement until I see the 1st pre-season game.
Same. It's hard to say what both guys are being asked to do. If I had to guess, I would assume Mac is carrying some level of burden of helping to bring some guys along and get them up to speed/get everyone on the same page, whereas Zappe is just expected to worry about himself. We'll see though. I would be shocked if Mac has to be worried this year.

Lazar is certainly dredging up uncomfortable questions about Owenu, including why that when he was benched for Karras last year the OL improved immediately. I know BB praised him in 2020 for his positional versatility, but maybe he really is only an RT. Having Owenu fail at RG after letting Mason go for nothing would be an embarrassing outcome.

WOW. re-writing history there.
Onwenu wasn't benched in favor of Karras.
Onwenu was moved to RT from LG because Brown was out and none of Herron, Cajuste or Durant stepped up.
Onwenu was benched in favor of Brown.

Not sure what you watched, but I saw an O-line that was hit or miss all season. Karras going in and the move of Onwen to RT improved the line play some, but not a a lot. They continued to be inconsistent for the rest of the year.

Go back and look at the descriptions of Onwenu in camp the last two years. Agile. Athletic despite his size.

Ferentz was the only extra O-line on the BLUE team last night. The other 8 were on the White. So, I don't see how he can say that "RG doesn't feel settled".

Every report says the offense has been sluggish.

It seems there is pressure on Mac or a pass is being batted down consistently all practice, every practice.

Who is not doing their job on the OL?

Perhaps it starts with communication which is the reason they gave last year for replacing Onwenu with Karras.

This happens every year. The front seven of the D is ahead of the front five of the O.
E v e r y y e a r. Go read the forum posts.
In addition to new guys, and old guys in new positions which happens very year, this year they are adding (not substituting, but adding) an entirely different run blocking scheme.

If the O line looked really good right now it would be a miracle, and we'd be lamenting how lousy the front seven is.

WOW. re-writing history there.
Onwenu wasn't benched in favor of Karras.
Onwenu was moved to RT from LG because Brown was out and none of Herron, Cajuste or Durant stepped up.
Onwenu was benched in favor of Brown.

Not sure what you watched, but I saw an O-line that was hit or miss all season. Karras going in and the move of Onwen to RT improved the line play some, but not a a lot. They continued to be inconsistent for the rest of the year.

Go back and look at the descriptions of Onwenu in camp the last two years. Agile. Athletic despite his size.

Ferentz was the only extra O-line on the BLUE team last night. The other 8 were on the White. So, I don't see how he can say that "RG doesn't feel settled".
Of course he was beaten out by Karras at LG. When Brown came back Owenu became the 6th lineman / blocking TE rather than going back to LG. The reasons aren't clear, maybe they were worried about Brown getting reinjured so kept Owenu in reserve or they just didn't want to disrupt the play of the left side. But for whatever reasons, Owenu was benched last year.

This happens every year. The front seven of the D is ahead of the front five of the O.
E v e r y y e a r. Go read the forum posts.
In addition to new guys, and old guys in new positions which happens very year, this year they are adding (not substituting, but adding) an entirely different run blocking scheme.

If the O line looked really good right now it would be a miracle, and we'd be lamenting how lousy the front seven is.

I recall last season the excitement with Mac and the offense performing better, but OK let's see how joint practice and a game goes.

Why the change in offense when Mac was second in rookie of the year voting last year. I thought the whole point of getting him at quarterback was that he was cerebral enough to run the offense that has been so successful for us for the past two decades.

A lot of talk about the offense, the real question is…how much is it changing, and do they stick with it if it continues to be sluggish. Bonus question, will Ring 6 admit he was wrong about the offense going through the same changes as every other year?

Why the change in offense when Mac was second in rookie of the year voting last year. I thought the whole point of getting him at quarterback was that he was cerebral enough to run the offense that has been so successful for us for the past two decades.

Guess you haven't paid attention at ALL to this point.

The Offense was "simplified" with McDaniels leaving.
They were supposedly adding some outside zone blocking schemes for running plays
Trent Brown stated the changes would allow the offense to play faster.
Kendrick Bourne stated the changes would allow the offense to play faster

No one has said or hinted that the changes were because Mac wasn't cerebral enough for it.

The biggest takeaway I got was that it had everything to do with the changes on the Offensive Coaching Staff. (loss of McDaniels, Loss of Fears, Loss of Hardegee, loss of Bricillo, Loss of Lombardi). 5 Offensive coaches lost is huge.

Of course he was beaten out by Karras at LG. When Brown came back Owenu became the 6th lineman / blocking TE rather than going back to LG. The reasons aren't clear, maybe they were worried about Brown getting reinjured so kept Owenu in reserve or they just didn't want to disrupt the play of the left side. But for whatever reasons, Owenu was benched last year.

How can you say he was beaten out by Karras when, in fact, it was Brown that took his place on the O-line? You even say "When Brown came back..."

I don't think it's worth drawing any significant conclusions at this point about the state of the offense. I'm not suggesting that the reporters' eyes are lying to them, but I just think this stuff is ultimately meaningless (not for the team, but in terms of what fans can glean and work with).

Growing pains are to be expected, but if there are fundamental issues with coaching, communication, and teaching, that's much more worrisome, especially given the lack of an offensive coach with significant experience in that role.

What's perplexing me is that this "offense is struggling" narrative seemed to quietly crop up. We heard they looked great prior to pads coming on, Mac was zippin' the ball, the WRs looked better than last season. And then without much fanfare, as we transitioned into the throes of training camp, we heard people saying things along the lines of, "offense looks a bit rusty", "lots of work to be done", and the it all comes to a head last night with local reporters saying Mac Jones looks less comfortable than his rookie training camp? That the offense is lost and drifting? That Zappe is outplaying Mac?

Seems to be a bit of disconnect here, IMO. Either these reporters were not adequately conveying their level of concern before last night, or they saw really alarming signs last night, or the powers-that-be asked them to crank up the sensationalism/concern-o-meter to an '11' because revenue has been dipping.

I don't know. I'll need to see preseason games to get a better feel, and even that is a very incomplete picture.

(As a final note, I'm hopeful for Mac and it seems he's doing all the right things to get himself, physically and mentally, where he needs to be in order to be a great QB. But, in the event he isn't able to make the jump, and/or Zappe does something special, I will have zero issue with that. I'm not beholden to Mac, or Zappe, or anyone; I just want to see the offense be quarterbacked at a high level and perform well).

This probably shouldn’t have been filmed…

How can you say he was beaten out by Karras when, in fact, it was Brown that took his place on the O-line? You even say "When Brown came back..."
If your point is that the initial move was Owenu to RT and Karras replacing him at LG, sure that's fine. But Karras kept the LG position when Owenu was replaced by Brown and Owenu went to the bench. Not sure why you are even arguing this.

Edit: if your point is that the initial move of Owenu to RT and Karras to LG says nothing about how they felt about Owenu vs Karras at LG, I agree. It was entirely about fixing the RT problem, and indeed that they delayed making that move indicates they were not unhappy with Owenu at LG. I'll also concede that their later decision to bench Owenu instead of Karras when Brown returned may have been about concerns about Brown's continued health and not wanting to disrupt LG where Karras was playing surprisingly well. They might still have chosen Owenu over Karras if RT had been stable.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back