PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trading up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point, I forgot about Jenkins being able to play safety. That's the type of versatile player BB would drool over. He could be the #3 safety this year, or step up next year and start at CB giving BB the option to let Bodden or Hobbs go. Also if he's able to beat our Sanders for a starting role they can cut Sanders and his 2.3 mil salary next year.

He's also an excellent ST player, has blocked a few punts at Ohio St.

Who do you think this player is if the Pats trade up if at all?

I don't see the Pats trading up, only because of the VALUE from late round one through round two. Might as well keep these picks and get some future starters.

But if Belichick did trade up, the one player I'd want is Everette Brown -- who is not necessarily the one BB covets.

Using the theoretical trade value chart, #23 plus one of the second-rounders (#47) would get the Pats to (#12) - Denver. Now maybe Josh would be willing to deal, but they already have 11 picks overall, with two picks each in round 1, 3, 5, 7. Yet they may still be open to adding a 2nd, as they can move one into 2010.

However, Washington at #13 only has 5 picks overall -- with no second-rounder.

New Orleans at #14, is without a second or third this draft.

So unless Washington or the Saints is seriously targetting a specific player and aren't open to trading down to #23, the smart strategy for them would be to add more picks -- especially a #47.

Finally, we know BB has traded away 3rd-rounders in the past, and won't hesitate to do so again for the right player. But in this draft, having three second-rounders and willing to part with just one of them, enables NE to be in a position to draft an impact player (if there is one), by moving into a range where the impact players usually reside. I mentioned Brown because he's my favorite edge rusher -- but obviously it's BB's call.

Using the theoretical trade value chart, #23 plus one of the second-rounders (#47) would get the Pats to (#12) - Denver. Now maybe Josh would be willing to deal, but they already have 11 picks overall, with two picks each in round 1, 3, 5, 7. Yet they may still be open to adding a 2nd, as they can move one into 2010.

However, Washington at #13 only has 5 picks overall -- with no second-rounder.

New Orleans at #14, is without a second or third this draft.
I bet we could move WAY up if we wanted to. All you hear is teams wanting to move down. If there's a guy Belichick loves I have little doubt we could get into the lower half of the top 10 with #23 and one of the 2s.

I'm 100% behind moving way, way up to get Curry at @3...... That would be sweeeeeeeeeet!!

I would think it more likely one of the late seconds moves up to early second; or 34 moves up to 24-32. Positioning picks with #3, or #4, #6 or #7 as currency.

There are no players between 10 and 20 that merit a move up to get.:snob:

I would think it more likely one of the late seconds moves up to early second; or 34 moves up to 24-32. Positioning picks with #3, or #4, #6 or #7 as currency.

There are no players between 10 and 20 that merit a move up to get.:snob:

You never know who's going to drop, but I agree with moving up from
#34.

I'm 100% behind moving way, way up to get Curry at @3...... That would be sweeeeeeeeeet!!

It would require ALL of the Pats draft picks. Not worth it. Unless you're Mike Ditka...

It would require ALL of the Pats draft picks. Not worth it. Unless you're Mike Ditka...

Not even close. It would take two if you throw in the "cassel Trade favor"-23,34
If you dont belive in that 23,34,58 would do it and dont even bring out the chart because we know Pioli would rather have 3 picks in the first three two rounds than 1 They are also very high on Barwin from what Ive heard.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about and have absolutely no backup for your position.

If you are even anywhere close, Philly should trade up for the #3 with their two firsts.

Not even close. It would take two if you throw in the "cassel Trade favor"-23,34
If you dont belive in that 23,34,58 would do it and dont even bring out the chart because we know Pioli would rather have 3 picks in the first three two rounds than 1 They are also very high on Barwin from what Ive heard.

I don't think it would be very wise for us to risk all of that on ANY player, regardless of their upside or potential. The draft is nothing more than a crapshoot anyway, as many so called 'sure things' never amount to anything. This yr is a chance to build for the future, fill a few small holes, and see if anything sticks. I'd much rather have #23 and #34, let alone #23,#34, and #58

You haven't a clue what you are talking about and have absolutely no backup for your position.

If you are even anywhere close, Philly should trade up for the #3 with their two firsts.

What??? A team rebuilding dosnt want the #23 pick, the #34 Pick, and the #58 pick??? Ok buddy and The Cheifs hosted Barwin on a visit and are probably looking to stockpile picks so unless they are going to take Barwin with the #3 overall pick they are gonna have to trade down. Why the Hell would Philly want #3 overall when they are looking at RB and TE, T? The Cheifs have 1 pick in the first 2 rounds. You want some more? The three picks I mentioned are worth 1,640 points thats just 560 points from number 3 overall and that dosnt take value into consideration

Last edited:
Why would we add more picks to a draft in which we own 11 picks? BB has said that its a stretch to ask 11 rookies to this team. Either Trade up or Trade into next year but dont trade back from our highest pick. I think we would grab Knowshon if he was the best player on the board and we felt like the value at OLB, DE, or Corner wasnt around.

I am not adding anybody. I just think these could be the picks. I am not crazy about them either. Just facts add up.
DW Toys

Sure, I want lots more. What you saying is that the #3 pick of the draft is not worth much. I disagree. On Draft Day, there will be a half dozen teams calling Pioli with proposal to move down between 4 and 15. Pioli can then trade down twice more and end up with lots more the 23, 47 and 58.

I think best way to think of what Pioli can get is to view one reasonable transaction at a time and then move on. I think that you will find that what Pioli can get is truly impressive.

What??? A team rebuilding dosnt want the #23 pick, the #34 Pick, and the #58 pick??? Ok buddy and The Cheifs hosted Barwin on a visit and are probably looking to stockpile picks so unless they are going to take Barwin with the #3 overall pick they are gonna have to trade down. Why the Hell would Philly want #3 overall when they are looking at RB and TE, T? The Cheifs have 1 pick in the first 2 rounds. You want some more?

Sure, I want lots more. What you saying is that the #3 pick of the draft is not worth much. I disagree. On Draft Day, there will be a half dozen teams calling Pioli with proposal to move down between 4 and 15. Pioli can then trade down twice more and end up with lots more the 23, 47 and 58.I think best way to think of what Pioli can get is to view one reasonable transaction at a time and then move on. I think that you will find that what Pioli can get is truly impressive.

So give me a couple of scenarios...I never depreciated #3's value Im just saying that #3 and #3 only for a team rebuilding isnt enough. and I said 23 34 58 nothing about 47. I think thats a pretty hefty price.

Last edited:
SCENARIO
Trade 3rd to Denver for their 12 and 18
Trade 12th to patriots for 23 and 47
Trade 18th to patriots for 34 and 58
===========================
All these trades have been discussed. This gives Pioli 23, 34, 47 and 58. So, the poster who said that we would need to give our ENTIRE draft for the #3 overstated. We would need to give up our first four picks.
============================
SUMMARY
Denver gets its QB.
New England adds two studs to a championship team.
Kansas City rebuilds with four Day One picks.
=============================
JUST A NOTE
Belichick would trade in a heartbeat for 12 and 18 if he believed that the value was there. In THIS draft, most of us would rather have the four picks. We see great value between 20 and 60.
So give me a couple of scenarios...I never depreciated #3's value Im just saying that #3 and #3 only for a team rebuilding isnt enough. and I said 23 34 58 nothing about 47. I think thats a pretty hefty price.

SCENARIO
Trade 3rd to Denver for their 12 and 18
Trade 12th to patriots for 23 and 47
Trade 18th to patriots for 34 and 58
===========================
All these trades have been discussed. This gives Pioli 23, 34, 47 and 58. So, the poster who said that we would need to give our ENTIRE draft for the #3 overstated. We would need to give up our first four picks.
SUMMARY
Denver gets its QB.
New England adds two studs to a championship team.
Kansas City rebuilds with four Day One picks.
=============================
JUST A NOTE
Belichick would trade in a heartbeat for 12 and 18 if he believed that the value was there. In THIS draft, most of us would rather have the four picks. We see great value between 20 and 60.
Why wouldnt KC just trade #3 to New England for #23 #34 and #47? We get Aaron Curry who is the safest pick in the draft with all pro potential and can play both Inside and Outside. KC cuts out the middle man (Denver) and dosent allow them to get a QB who could light them up for the next decade. woulden this make allot more sense for NE as well? We could still grab a saftey,OG, or BPA with 58 to go allong with Curry.

So, you're suggesting that KC simply give away the value of the 58th pcik in the draft. In the scenario given, Denver could just make the same offer to Seattle and have the same QB. My suggestion is that KC can get more value than from the picks you suggested.

Why wouldnt KC just trade #3 to New England for #23 #34 and #47? We get Aaron Curry who is the safest pick in the draft with all pro potential and can play both Inside and Outside. KC cuts out the middle man (Denver) and dosent allow them to get a QB who could light them up for the next decade. woulden this make allot more sense for NE as well? We could still grab a saftey,OG, or BPA with 58 to go allong with Curry.

So, you're suggesting that KC simply give away the value of the 58th pcik in the draft. In the scenario given, Denver could just make the same offer to Seattle and have the same QB. My suggestion is that KC can get more value than from the picks you suggested.

If they Denver could than why wouldent they? Im just saying that the 58th pick isnt just going to change everything. We can get Curry and still keep a second.

I guess I haven't been clear. Pioli should resign if he accepts your first deal from the patriots. Of course, the patriots should do it. They should then trade down and get the value that you would have Pioli pass up.

If they Denver could than why wouldent they? Im just saying that the 58th pick isnt just going to change everything. We can get Curry and still keep a second.

I guess I haven't been clear. Pioli should resign if he accepts your first deal from the patriots. Of course, the patriots should do it. They should then trade down and get the value that you would have Pioli pass up.

Pioli if he made this deal picks up two extra picks in round two that he wouldnt have otherwise. Its not about the #3 pick its about Pioli gaining more picks to help fill the cheifs many holes. Why would he resign if he could get a pass rusher, Tackle, and a playmaker in the secondary. The cheifs today own the following picks, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 that would be a 1st, a third, a fourth , a fifth, a sixth, and two sevenths. Your telling me a team with as many holes as the cheifs wouldnt jump at the chance to land a 2 second rounders in exchange for #3 overall? Not to mention that he already landed Vrabel and Cassell, yeah he is running himself right out of town if he makes this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes