PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trading up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was watching Patriots Today on Patriots.com and Nick Caserio said that with all the picks New England has they have the amunition to trade up and get that player that they really want. Who do you think this player is if the Pats trade Up if at all? Raji, Orakpo, Oher?

I would not be surprised to see them stay put at 23 and then trade up from 34 into those mid to late twenties. Of course, they will probably fall in love with someone who is not on my radar, trade up and take the guy 15th overall. That'll learn me.

I was watching Patriots Today on Patriots.com and Nick Caserio said that with all the picks New England has they have the amunition to trade up and get that player that they really want. Who do you think this player is if the Pats trade Up if at all? Raji, Orakpo, Oher?

I would be really surprised if they traded up to get Oher. He's a great physical specimen, but given his background (read the book the Blindside by Michael Lewis for more detail, but basically Oher has had real struggles understanding game plans and stuff like that) I don't think he's the kind of player that Bill Belichick will target.

I would be really surprised if they traded up to get Oher. He's a great physical specimen, but given his background (read the book the Blindside by Michael Lewis for more detail, but basically Oher has had real struggles understanding game plans and stuff like that) I don't think he's the kind of player that Bill Belichick will target.

I think BB will actually prefer him because of his background. He is a came from nothing type player who overcame obstacles to get where he is today.

I don't it happening but a couple Belichick MIGHT like enough are Brown and Jackson.

I don't it happening but a couple Belichick MIGHT like enough are Brown and Jackson.

I don't either, if it id the couple I'd vote for BB liking enough would be Raji and Barwin. :D

I think BB will actually prefer him because of his background. He is a came from nothing type player who overcame obstacles to get where he is today.

If you read the book you'll likely come away feeling differently.

If you read the book you'll likely come away feeling differently.

I read the book. I agree with the other guy.

Oher has issues, but none that will keep him from being a great player as long as the team knows what he needs, and NE will.

To get Jackson, how high do you think they need to go and what do see them giving up to get there?

I used the draft calc to come up with these:

simple up trade: #23 + #124 = #20

Very complex series of 3 trades:

--- #23 + #58 to Cards for: #31, #63, #95

--- then #89 + #95 + #124 to Viks for #54

--- then #31 + #63 and our 6th (about 202) to the Browns for #36 and #50

final picks in top 100: 34, 36, 47, 50, 54, 97; why? Avoid 1st round salary issues, and hit the 2nd round which is full of value with 5 picks.

I used the draft calc to come up with these:

simple up trade: #23 + #124 = #20

Very complex series of 3 trades:

--- #23 + #58 to Cards for: #31, #63, #95

--- then #89 + #95 + #124 to Viks for #54

--- then #31 + #63 and our 6th (about 202) to the Browns for #36 and #50

final picks in top 100: 34, 36, 47, 50, 54, 97; why? Avoid 1st round salary issues, and hit the 2nd round which is full of value with 5 picks.

Your lucky this site protects your right to be wrong. Because your way off. With all that value in the end of the first and into the second, wouldnt the logical senario be to trade up from 58 to the end of the first early second. And steal the players BB is high on, that will be studs. That would only make sense to me, rather than take a chance that they wont be there.

Your lucky this site protects your right to be wrong. Because your way off. With all that value in the end of the first and into the second, wouldnt the logical senario be to trade up from 58 to the end of the first early second. And steal the players BB is high on, that will be studs. That would only make sense to me, rather than take a chance that they wont be there.

I agree 100%. I only see moving up from 23 if one or two specific players that BB covets fall to within reach and are certain to be gone at 23. Otherwise, moving up from 47 or 58 offers much more value.

To get Jackson, how high do you think they need to go and what do see them giving up to get there?

they might have to go to #11. I like him a lot, but wouldn't do it. Better to trade #23 down to about #28-35 range and grab Jarron Gilbert, Evander Hood, Ron Brace.

Unless, he really likes an OLB that is still on the board at #23 that will be gone by 30.

I can see a draft order of: OLB (Maybin), DL (Gilbert), OT (Beatty), CB (A. Smith), OG (Levitre), S (Martin), ILB (McKilliop)

but just as easily: Gilbert (trade down), Barwin (or Sintim), Beatty (trade up), Duke Robinson, Chip Vaughn, Munnerlyn or Asher Allen

BB is the true master...

I could see Jenkins sliding and the Pats trading up to 14 to nab him.

I could see Jenkins sliding and the Pats trading up to 14 to nab him.

I'm not sure I'd trade up for a guy to sit on the bench

I just dont see Jenkins in the future. The Pats are pretty well set at corner. Maybe a flyer late in the draft to see if they can make the team.

A Safety at the end of the first or early second i can see. Maybe a Moore or a Chung.

Package 48 and other picks to move up and nab a safety before they are gone.

Last edited:
He would be tempting at 16 (34 plus 47) if he Belichick's man. We could then sign him to a six year contract.

Curry! Oh, I wish!:cool:

If they trade up for Raji, I will throw up. I could understand if the Pats were running a 4-3 and needed an upgrade at DT, but they don't. They already have Wilfork and they will have no problem re-signing him if next year is uncapped. Seriously, if drafted by the Pats, what impact does Raji make this season? I'm sorry, the reason why the Pats haven't been able to win a super bowl for the last 4 years is because they have lacked impact players at the LB, CB and S position. Sometimes, you can't keep drafting "best available" and have to bite the bullet and take a player based on "need". If the Pats fail to upgrade their pass rush, they will once again miss out on the Lombardi trophy.

If they trade up for Raji, I will throw up. I could understand if the Pats were running a 4-3 and needed an upgrade at DT, but they don't.

Hmmm. Imagine Wilfork and Raji playing together as DTs in a 4-3.

They already have Wilfork and they will have no problem re-signing him if next year is uncapped.

$40 million garaunteed? No problem! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey