PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recap of Patriots' 2017 draft picks after this trade:

1st round, #32 - traded away to New Orleans (Brandin Cooks)
2nd round, #64 traded away to Panthers (Kona Ealy)
3rd round, #72 - from Panthers (Ealy)
3rd round, #96
3rd round, #103
- from Browns (Jamie Collins)
4th round, #118 - from Saints(Cooks), stolen away by Goodell
4th round, #131 - from 2016 trade with Seahawks
4th round, #137
5th round, #163
- from Broncos (AJ Derby)
5th round, #175 - traded to Browns (Barkevious Mingo)
5th round, #183 - compensatory pick
6th round, #215 - traded away to Lions (Kyle Van Noy)
7th round, #239 - from Lions (Van Noy trade)
7th round, #250 - traded away to Lions (Michael Williams)

In my opinion this gives the Patriots a bit of extra incentive to trade Garoppolo - though it may not happen until Day One of the draft.

You need to factor in the trade for Allen, losing a 4th aND gaining a 6th.

ok. that makes me feel a little better. I'm still not too crazy about the move. I think a 1st and a 3rd is too much for maybe 2 years.

It wasn't a 1st and a 3rd...it was a first and a move down 16 picks in the 3rd/4th

Okay, I'm not trying to be a jinx....but think about it for a second:

Belichick has done literally EVERYTHING a coach in the NFL can possibly do.

Except........go 19-0.

He wants the undefeated, perfect season. It's the only thing that has eluded him.

And d%#*!@t he's going for it.

I just got off the phone will BB. He says he's sorry that he couldn't get Jerry Rice in his prime, and he hopes you'll forgive him.
Remember Rice was drafted with a Patriots draft pick that they traded to SF...BB would NEVER have traded that pick....

I know :( sorry... I don't wanna lose Danny either but it just doesn't make sense for him to stay and take such little money to be so far down on the depth chart. I would guess another team would pay him $5-6m a year for a few years.
Not so sure about that kind of money, Ross.
For comparison's sake, DAL WR Terrence Williams just re-upped for 4/17. I can't imagine Amendola bringing in 5-6m, let alone "for a few years." Just my humble opinion, of course.

If we were discussing Floyd as the WR5 after the assumption that Amendola would take another pay cut to match his 1.5m salary from last year, then I don't see why we can't entertain keeping him at a similar deal after signing Cooks. I will agree with the notion that Amendola may bring 2.5-3m dollars from another team, but I can't imagine his 23 receptions projecting to such a significant raise.

maybe he's contemplating retirement in the next few years as well as brady leaving. he's loading up for the last few years of his career. he's going out with a bang!

BB achieved almost everything in life winning another SB so he probably thought he wants to win in March as well. Winning Superbowls has to be boring for him now

Our first pick was #62 or something last year and he did not help us. We still had a great draft.
Exactly.

I still think Cyrus can be a good slot cover guy.

Kickoffs is a different topic

Is BB STILL a moron?(Yes, I'm talking to you ;))

I don't like the idea of the Pats having no 1st and 2nd round picks. But Cooks and Ealy as essentially our 1st and 2nd pick this year is pretty nice. And I'm sure the wheeling and dealing isn't done yet. So I'm confident we'll get back into the 1st and/or 2nd round.

Plus we get to keep Butler to pair with Gilmore.

Wow, that's all I can say. Never thought BB would give up a 1st !

BB has traded his first many times. Dont you remember trading the rockhead Corderelle pick for Collins.

I see people on twitter questioning why BB is getting rid of top picks in a deep draft. But we now have seven picks from late day three onwards. In a DEEP draft, that actually makes sense in terms of value. There will still be good players available then.

Hi Manx, I'm not as familiar with this upcoming draft as you are, but with our loaded roster now, do you think a 4th, 5th or 6th rounder in this year's draft will be able to make our team or contribute? I'm thinking our top needs would be DL, LB and maybe a lead RB.

Not so sure about that kind of money, Ross.
For comparison's sake, DAL WR Terrence Williams just re-upped for 4/17. I can't imagine Amendola bringing in 5-6m, let alone "for a few years." Just my humble opinion, of course.

If we were discussing Floyd as the WR5 after the assumption that Amendola would take another pay cut to match his 1.5m salary from last year, then I don't see why we can't entertain keeping him at a similar deal after signing Cooks. I will agree with the notion that Amendola may bring 2.5-3m dollars from another team, but I can't imagine his 23 receptions projecting to such a significant raise.
You're probably right and I'm just being sentimental. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back